Why become a member? ×

Bass Recommendation...

Mickyk

Anyway assuming i haven't upset you all on the Substitute thread:D,i am in need of some advice about acquiring another instrument,as some may know i play in a ska band and my current tool is the Yam  424x which i have to admit doesn't omit  the sound i am personally after although some would argue otherwise.

So give me some ideas please,

Not too heavy as the i'm starting to feel the weight of the Yam after 2 to 3 hours,but has a darker deeper tone that i can get out of the Yam,i'm all ears. oh and prefer passive really unless someone knows of an active instrument that fits the bill.

Price wise i have a budget of £500 smackers.give or take a few squid.

Trusty old P bass is the one, the Squier VM has a dark tone and can often be had on here for around £200, and you should be able to find a Mexican one for well under £500, and if you are really lucky, maybe an American model for around £500/600.

A Jazz is often used in ska bands as well, and the same criteria as above applies too.

• Like 1

Squier Classic Vibe P bass black/maple for sale somewhere on Fbk on a bass players site.If its anything like the quality of my sons CV Tele it will be as good or better then most Fender Mexican Ps

Its on Bass Players Market UK at £180!!!

Edited by Paddy515

44 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Have you considered putting some flatwounds/tapewounds on the Yammy?

No i haven't Cameron the main issue is the weight and size of the Yam Really,just feeling the  need to downsize my actual guitar get the right sound into the bargain.

19 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

No i haven't Cameron the main issue is the weight and size of the Yam Really,just feeling the  need to downsize my actual guitar get the right sound into the bargain.

Ah, fair enough! In that case, find yourself a reasonably lightweight P.

Then put flats/tapes on it :D

• Like 1