Why become a member? ×

RIP Hugh Masekela

KingPrawn

I had the honour of releasing a compilation of his early work for a record company I worked for many years back, and got to meet him at the launch of the London concert celebrating the 1st anniversary of Nelson Mandela's release. The launch was held in South Africa House on Trafalgar Square, for years the target of anti apartheid protest. When the launch came to an end, Masekela along with Miriam Makeba got to his feet, and they performed an impromptu Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika. It was the most moving musical experience of my life.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

I had the honour of releasing a compilation of his early work for a record company I worked for many years back, and got to meet him at the launch of the London concert celebrating the 1st anniversary of Nelson Mandela's release. The launch was held in South Africa House on Trafalgar Square, for years the target of anti apartheid protest. When the launch came to an end, Masekela along with Miriam Makeba got to his feet, and they performed an impromptu Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika. It was the most moving musical experience of my life.

I got to meet him as well (Croydon mid 90’s).The act I was working with were his support band for the night.

Top guy and terrific musician.

R.I.P.

• Like 1

Sad. A great man in a difficult situation.

Not just his struggles for black rights and playing jazz in SA, in more humble circumstances he was the support act the first time I saw Stanley at the Manchester Apollo who promptly blew him off stage with a great Clarke/Duke show.