Why become a member? ×

NORTH WEST BASS BASH

funkgod

12 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Ahh, just seen that they have announced the dates for Ribble Valley Jazz & Blues Festival - Fri 3rd to Mon 6th May 2024. Chances are I'll be getting at least one gig at this festival. I played it this year, and now I'm two bands that could do it.

Rob

@ossyrocks I'd like to go to that as well, so lets knock out May 5th from possible dates. Gary is very vaguely aware of me as I have dropped a number of guitars in for setup there. However I have managed to avoid spending a lot of money with him. If you know him and think he might be up for a stand on Sunday and bring some stuff along, then go for it. If we can tell him we'll be having a lot of people there that would be help, but we're barely into double digits (if that) at the moment. We will not get a lot of casual people sticking their noses in, though a couple of KW of bass playing might attract some attention. As far as I know, few people in the village play anything apart from Jo, my daughters flute teacher. We get a lot of walkers coming in to walk up Ingleborough but I can't see them being interested.

49 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Early May works for me.  Should be able to get there from Aberdeen by then ;)

@neepheid If you start now, head due South, you might be here for May. I hadn't appreciated that Aberdeen was basically 300 miles away. We might have to offer beds for people to stay, we have managed to host 16 people in proper beds and sofas before now at Xmas. However that got a bit cosy, so you might have to sleep with the dog. He's friendly though.

@Mottlefeeder Thanks for the offer, we'll sort something out. What I'd like to do is drum up more interested people. I suppose basschat is a good start, but we will need more people to make it interesting and worth their while to come along. I could amuse people for 10 mins with my inability to play, but that sort of excitement will pale very quickly.

Once we have a date, getting flyers out to places like Promenade Music to put on their notice board (do they have one?) and other places where people play and go to listen would be good.

My main problem now is telling my other half I'm now helping organise this when I have about 29 other things to run and do is going to go down badly :)

Rob

@rwillett Rob, I would say don't stress over numbers of people, or indeed flyers. Word of mouth will probably be enough. If you get 50 folk turning up it will be too busy. 20 or 30 would be ample if everyone brought two or three things to look at and talk about. 

I've not been to a bass bash before, but I have been to guitar based small gatherings, and we had a drum kit and backline set up for timetabled jam sessions. It might be worth considering, although we'd have to convince a drummer to come along and be bored most of the day!

Rob

18 minutes ago, rwillett said:

@neepheid If you start now, head due South, you might be here for May. I hadn't appreciated that Aberdeen was basically 300 miles away. We might have to offer beds for people to stay, we have managed to host 16 people in proper beds and sofas before now at Xmas. However that got a bit cosy, so you might have to sleep with the dog. He's friendly though.

That's very kind of you to offer, but it's tempting to just to beast it in one day - 5 hours each way is on the cusp of feasibility...

3 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

@rwillett Rob, I would say don't stress over numbers of people, or indeed flyers. Word of mouth will probably be enough. If you get 50 folk turning up it will be too busy. 20 or 30 would be ample if everyone brought two or three things to look at and talk about. 

I've not been to a bass bash before, but I have been to guitar based small gatherings, and we had a drum kit and backline set up for timetabled jam sessions. It might be worth considering, although we'd have to convince a drummer to come along and be bored most of the day!

Rob

That sounds good, failing an non-exploding drummer, there's always drum machines.

3 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Let's see. Thats a hell of a schlep.

You don't live in Aberdeen and be wary of driving a few hours to get stuff done...

I did attend the SW Bash this year, but I did an overnight stay for that one.  Still drove there in one go and back in one go though.  Yes, people did think I was crazy.

Edited by neepheid

11 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You don't live in Aberdeen and be wary of driving a few hours to get stuff done...

I did attend the SW Bash this year, but I did an overnight stay for that one.  Still drove there in one go and back in one go though.  Yes, people did think I was crazy.

I was a lorry driver as a student and did some long runs, but 600 miles round trip in a day is long run.

The offer is there.

• Thanks 1

It's much too far away (on the calendar, I mean) to say for certain, but mid May ought to be OK in principle - somewhere in between the 5th which is the bank holiday weekend and the 26th which is the first weekend in half term round our way, so the 12th or the 19th?

• 3 weeks later...

TBC, as it requires us to actually pick a date. The last one was 22 April, which seemed to be OK, and Easter is a week earlier this year. If May works for you then we'll avoid May and look at either April of June. 

20-25 people is a good number for a bash, don't worry if it's fewer. And it's not a competition 😁

I would create a new thread called NW Bash Bash 2024, so it's clear there is a new event being planned. The mods can pin it so it doesn't get lost, and then when you have a date you can update the title with that as well.

They'll be a Midlands 2024 thread started when I get round to it.

• Like 1