Why become a member? ×

SVT style OD on a budget

tandark

Still very much on a tone journey with my Tokai P-style, Fender rumble 500 combo + earthquaker palisades. Looking for a good core overdrive tone but the palisades isn't quite doing it for some reason.
Recently recorded and used a SVT style plugin on Logic and loved the sound, obviously no substitute for the real thing but wondered if there were any recommendations for bass OD's on the cheaper end of the spectrum that might get me the ballpark sound I'm after. 

You can get a used VT Bass pedal for under £100, or a Behringer BDI21 for considerably less than that. Also, modelled after guitar amps rather than SVTs, but are still bass friendly with good low end - Joyo American Sound (Fender amp sim) or Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp sim).

The overdrive in the Fender Rumble sounds pretty good to me though, better than many bass overdrives out there even!

• Like 1

The Sansamp VT bass pedal tends to go for under £100 secondhand and mine transformed my playing and indeed attitude towards pedals. In my current studio project the producer took one look at the pedal and said "well, that's your bass sound sorted then".  I just went through the desk via the pedal and it sounds great.

I originally bought it as I was sick of the sound of rehearsal studio amps but I use it all the time.

1 hour ago, tandark said:

Still very much on a tone journey with my Tokai P-style, Fender rumble 500 combo + earthquaker palisades. Looking for a good core overdrive tone but the palisades isn't quite doing it for some reason.
Recently recorded and used a SVT style plugin on Logic and loved the sound, obviously no substitute for the real thing but wondered if there were any recommendations for bass OD's on the cheaper end of the spectrum that might get me the ballpark sound I'm after. 

The secret I found to the Rumble is that you drive the gain hard, mine's around 1'O clock with a passive P bass and you can get a bit of drive and throttle with that.

I use a Dark Glass vintage tubes as well sometimes for a bit more cut and harmonic over-drive.

1 hour ago, Highfox said:

The secret I found to the Rumble is that you drive the gain hard, mine's around 1'O clock with a passive P bass and you can get a bit of drive and throttle with that.

I use a Dark Glass vintage tubes as well sometimes for a bit more cut and harmonic over-drive.

fair play, I usually have my pre-amp gain at 11/12, maybe that's the answer!

appreciate the suggestions folks, keep them coming.

I too have an Ampeg Scrambler that I bought a few months ago. Up until three days ago I was very unhappy with it. Then I decided to put my Pbass right into it before my compressor instead of after the compressor. A completely different ball park now, totally happy with it. Drive at 3oclock, blend at 2 o’clock and treble rolled off a bit and it sounds brilliant. Full, fat, dirty, responsive to the touch, digs it with a pick and sounds great with the low mids on my amp at 220hz. Can’t wait til next rehearsal now! Can also roll. Back the volume on the bass a tad to drop the drive off a bit without touching the pedal. Think it was £90. 

20 hours ago, Highfox said:

Yes, drive the front end hard on the Rumble 500. I do like the built in overdrive and use it when we cover The Who's 'Substitute' but it does take some of the bottom end out. I also use a modded Behringer BDI21 in front of the amp a lot of the time