Why become a member? ×

Mesa gear query

dmccombe7

I'll have a look at the Talkbass thread McNach. Thanks for that.

With the style of music you're playing i would expect you to be using a nice low end but still want to hear the mids cutting thru otherwise it can become a bass muddle for want of a better description.

Are there any clips of you laying with your bands. Some of the Radge clips are only 6 secs long and running at a very fast speed :D

The Sea Bass Kid clips i don't see any of the band playing. There are a couple but camera is a bit bouncy and a little too far away from the stage to see gear you are using.

I tried a MM Stingray years ago when they first apeared but neck was too wide for me. I love the sound of them tho. Some of the Sandberg basses sound similar with certain pick up configs.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'll have a look at the Talkbass thread McNach. Thanks for that.

With the style of music you're playing i would expect you to be using a nice low end but still want to hear the mids cutting thru otherwise it can become a bass muddle for want of a better description.

Are there any clips of you laying with your bands. Some of the Radge clips are only 6 secs long and running at a very fast speed :D

The Sea Bass Kid clips i don't see any of the band playing. There are a couple but camera is a bit bouncy and a little too far away from the stage to see gear you are using.

I tried a MM Stingray years ago when they first apeared but neck was too wide for me. I love the sound of them tho. Some of the Sandberg basses sound similar with certain pick up configs.

Dave

There's lots of recordings, but nothing of decent quality with the Mesa D800+, I'm afraid, just mobile phone stuff. For RATM, on the facebook page there's a section with videos, two or three are long enough... but it wasn't the Mesa, and what you get is the FOH sound anyway.

If you are just interested in the type of sound... there are a couple of live recordings with marginally better sound. This is 4-5 years old, using a L2000 and the TC Electronic gear:

And this is just as old, but it sounds better although we were not very good :$... That's the Stingray (actually, no, it's the EBMM SUB, pickup wired in series) into the desk using the DI on the TC RH450... I think this one may give you a better idea of the sound I go for. 

Sorry I cannot help more than this... There are some Urang Matang clips with the Mesa, but again, mobile phone stuff.

Prefer the tone from the Stingray in the 2nd clip. That's a tone i like using but doesn't suit my Classic Rock band where i need to adda little top end edge to cut thru guitars and keyboards.

Really liking that 2nd clip. Band sound really good and a lot of fun. I could see that being a great gig.

Also registered with Talkbass and found the Mesa D800 thread at 585 pages long.xD

Read first 5 ages from 2015 and then jumped to last 5 pages. Makes for some interesting reading altho there are a lot of Mesa fanatics on that page :D

Will read more when time permits

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Prefer the tone from the Stingray in the 2nd clip. That's a tone i like using but doesn't suit my Classic Rock band where i need to adda little top end edge to cut thru guitars and keyboards.

Really liking that 2nd clip. Band sound really good and a lot of fun. I could see that being a great gig.

Also registered with Talkbass and found the Mesa D800 thread at 585 pages long.xD

Read first 5 ages from 2015 and then jumped to last 5 pages. Makes for some interesting reading altho there are a lot of Mesa fanatics on that page :D

Will read more when time permits

The top end is there if you want it. I think you'd like the Mesa D800+ ;)

That thread grows daily... you'd go crazy reading it all, but using the search function you may get to the interesting bits about the M6/M9 and walkabout amps... or simply ask again, there'll be a few willing to tell you their experiences. 'agedhorse' is the guy who designed the Subway amps... look out for him

and yeah... lots of fanatics :D

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

I have an M6 and a Walkabout. Both great heads. I prefer the Walkabout to be honest. The lack of headroom on it was a real plus for me. It is has the characteristics of an all valve amp when you push it hard at a gig which is great. Through the right cabinet it is loud enough for any gig if you don't require pristine cleans at high volumes. I have used it anything from at open mic nights to stoner/doom gigs competing with JCM 800 an Mesa Dual Rectifier half stacks. 

The M6 is very much a clean machine, but you can get quite a cutting aggressive sound out of it. Great for modern rock and metal and percussive slap techniques and also great platform for pedals. I also has an idiot proof EQ section. It is ridiculously loud so it is nearly unusable for home use. I say nearly because I still do, but only when the wife to be isn't in. 

I can left the Walkabout with two fingers so don't think that I will ever need a lighter or smaller amp than that. The D800 will be a class amp though. The EQ section on the D800 is very very similar to the M6, but the amp will be much much lighter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite a few guys from TB site have said they use the D800's with their Berg cabs and they work very well together so buying in stages is an option if i decide to go that route. Few comments that they prefered their Berg cabs to the Mesa ones.

Its quite funny in a way that in UK every other post is someone who loves their BF cabs while in US not really a mention so far. Alex needs to get himself into that market more xD To be fair tho i have been focusing on the Mesa forum on TB so obviously its more Mesa with Berg and SWR being mentioned a bit. At some point the US will catch on and BF cabs will be the Global standard by looks of it. :D 

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

A good mate of mine plays through a D800 and Berg 2x12 and gets a brilliant sound. He plays rock, soul, that kind of stuff.

Thanks Steve. Berg is my fav cab and at £3k for a full Mesa D800+ and 2off 15" cabs would mean buying in stages might be the way to go.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its quite funny in a way that in UK every other post is someone who loves their BF cabs while in US not really a mention so far. Alex needs to get himself into that market more

Talkbass has "clubs". Look for the Barefaced Club and you'll find Alex is very highly regarded and doing pretty well over there.

I'm only just finding my way around the TB site and i've noticed its more "clubs" for Mesa, club for Ampeg etc so will need to check out BF club to see what they think. I prefer the BC site as its far easier to find my way around it. My earlier comment was based on first views across the TB site and not in any in-depth look. Was just a little fun remark i'm afraid. xD 

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

A good mate of mine plays through a D800 and Berg 2x12 and gets a brilliant sound. He plays rock, soul, that kind of stuff.

I've just bought a Big Block 750 and a Berg AE212 and so far, it seems to be a great combination.

Haven't gigged it yet, but will be doing that at the weekend, so then I'll have a better idea of it as a gigging rig.

Initial impressions so far A/B-ing at home against my all valve Ampeg rig, are very positive.

34 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

I've just bought a Big Block 750 and a Berg AE212 and so far, it seems to be a great combination.

Haven't gigged it yet, but will be doing that at the weekend, so then I'll have a better idea of it as a gigging rig.

Initial impressions so far A/B-ing at home against my all valve Ampeg rig, are very positive.

Really interested to hear how you get on. What were you using before and what bass are you using ?

Dave

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Really interested to hear how you get on. What were you using before and what bass are you using ?

Dave

An Ampeg V4BH head with Ampeg 210 + 115 cabs.

Main basses used have been a BC Rich Eagle, Squier P with flats  and a Gibson Thunderbird..

Will let you know ☺

43 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

An Ampeg V4BH head with Ampeg 210 + 115 cabs.

Main basses used have been a BC Rich Eagle, Squier P with flats  and a Gibson Thunderbird..

Will let you know ☺

That's gotta be quite a thunderous sound with your basses and Ampeg rig. Curious to see how your new rig compares to that. They seem quite different set ups so this is gonna be good. Don't forget to keep me posted.

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm only just finding my way around the TB site and i've noticed its more "clubs" for Mesa, club for Ampeg etc so will need to check out BF club to see what they think. I prefer the BC site as its far easier to find my way around it. My earlier comment was based on first views across the TB site and not in any in-depth look. Was just a little fun remark i'm afraid. xD 

There are quite a few BF users on that Mesa Subway thread... the problem is that at over 500 pages, it gets complicated to find specific details :)

I remember quite a few Two10 and Four10 users, as well as some of the neodymium speaker range as well.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's gotta be quite a thunderous sound with your basses and Ampeg rig. Curious to see how your new rig compares to that. They seem quite different set ups so this is gonna be good. Don't forget to keep me posted.

Will do!

I'm excited to see what possibilities it has, but the Ampeg rig has been absolutely fantastic for me, so the new rig has a lot to live up to.

• Like 1

Dave.

If you've nowt better to do you're welcome to come over to wilsontown sometime and try out some of my kit.  I'm only about 20 minutes from biggar. 

mesa stuff... Titan 1200w monster.  212 powerhouse   410 powerhouse  210 powerhouse

markbass...  lm800  and a pair of 410s

fender tbp-1 pre / qsc plx power set up.

I've gone through all the older Mesa amps - titan, mpulse 600, big block, m9 carbine and have come back to the Titan for it's versatility. Good tone across the board but the gain can be a bit aggressive (suits my current gig). I now gig with the 210/410 but used to use the 210 with the 212. not much between them.

rehearsals are usually the LM800 with the mesa 410.   

tended to use the MB cabs with my old wedding band as they're quite sterile - the mesa cabs have a little colour.

Graeme

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko said:

Dave.

If you've nowt better to do you're welcome to come over to wilsontown sometime and try out some of my kit.  I'm only about 20 minutes from biggar. 

mesa stuff... Titan 1200w monster.  212 powerhouse   410 powerhouse  210 powerhouse

markbass...  lm800  and a pair of 410s

fender tbp-1 pre / qsc plx power set up.

I've gone through all the older Mesa amps - titan, mpulse 600, big block, m9 carbine and have come back to the Titan for it's versatility. Good tone across the board but the gain can be a bit aggressive (suits my current gig). I now gig with the 210/410 but used to use the 210 with the 212. not much between them.

rehearsals are usually the LM800 with the mesa 410.   

tended to use the MB cabs with my old wedding band as they're quite sterile - the mesa cabs have a little colour.

Graeme

Cheers Graeme,

Thanks for your very generous offer and i know Wilsontown fairly well as my cats get their annual hols up thru there at Crooklands Cattery at Tashieburn Rd.

That Titan sounds impressive but its a bit of a beast is it not. What bands are you with at the moment. I could get a wee listen to the cabs in use within band set up.

That all sounds like an expensive list of kit there. xD

What finally made you go for the Mesa gear. 

Out of curiosity what makes the Titan more versatile rather than the others you had.

Guitarist in one of my bands is from just along the road in Forth somewhere. Its a new band so don't know his exact location.

Might take you up on that invite at some point Graeme. Very much appreciated altho i think i'd be more inclined to go lightweight Subway gear if i decide to change gear.

Thanks again Graeme

Dave

The main thing with the titan is it has switchable inputs and switchable channels so I can have two instruments plugged in and switch each one between a clean or dirty channel. That plus a switchable overdrive on each channel and a solo boost means it has every function I will ever need. Goes down to 2 ohms too. 

I initially went with mesa when I read through the titan blurb years ago. Did what I wanted so I bought one second hand and played it through a couple of ebs cabs for a while. Loved the tone - very rock-centric. Then guitar guitar did me great deal on the powerhouse cabs. Made the mistake of thinking I wanted something different so via ebay and this site I've gone through all the other mesa amps I could afford but really all I wanted eas the titan. Hah! 

Current band is The one one seven but we don't have any gigs lined up just now. We're in the studio sunday recording so hopefully there will be something decent to listen to soon.

Don't be put off by what people have said about westside. My first titan had the well advertised overheating cut out problem. Even though I was the second owner and it was over 5 years old they sent it back to california to have the upgrades done under warranty. They also gave my M9 a free checkup when I got that secondhand. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if I am really adding anything to which has already been said but I have gone through similar gear as you by accident.

I was looking for good but compact and light gear few years ago and ended up with Bergantino AE212 and a Streamliner 600. I think this was around 2012 or 2013. I am not much for changing settings and this sounded really good to me. I think it was over 2 years ago I fancied a change and bought D800. 

I had known Mesa as a brand for number of years and this amp was getting good reviews. I never wanted the weight or possibly reliability issues with valves so to me this amp was the right one for me. I got it second hand on here £600 or so and it looked brand new.

Now how does it sound? Everything about that sound is how I want from mellow to agressive. I can cover range of styles with it from jazz, rock and metal to easy singer songwriter type stuff. Then again I am a big believer in technique and the sound is in your hands.

The basses I use are only Warwicks (I just happen to like them rather than they are the best thing to happen to humanity) and through this rig the sound is heaven. I have had few sound guys come after gigs and complimenting my sound and few bass players asking about it.

So yes I think the amp has a great tone that is not hard to dial in. You have the cab to try it out with and the Warwick to complete the package.

Jacko is that you with the Alembic looking bass in Bannermans wee while back ? 

Bassboro - i find my Warwick a little too heavy to gig these days but its a gorgeous old 89 er with original EMG's. Hardly been out the house since early 90's. Gorgeous neck to play tho. I found the Berg AE112 cabs a little lacking in something. Could never really put my finger on it. Lack of depth, heft kinda thing. Find the Markbass cabs far better sound altho maybe not as well built. I have the very heavy Berg HT322 cab but its pretty heavy and a 2 man lift these days. Has castors for flat floors tho. Best cab i've ever owned so far. Seen a few 2nd hand D800's for sale now so that's maybe way to go. Not sure whether i would prefer the D800+ tho and want to compare them before i decide on anything.

My post was originally curiosity as to why people buy MESA Gear over others and what makes it so good that people generally stay with Mesa 

Dave

I had read the full thread and wasn’t going to reply but then thought you might find it interesting me having a Streamliner and AE cabs as well. I was looking for a new amp and options I thought about was Mesa, Glockenklang or Demeter. I thought the Demeter was too expensive and I thought the Mesa was just such a good deal when I saw it here.

It has been a brilliant amp. I will be keeping it for a long time. I have been playing for close to 30 years and I have played through few amps in my time. This might not be the best sounding amp but it’s not far off. So I do recommend it. I personally don’t think the D800+ offers that much more that I feel I need to upgrade.

I had seen the Warwick in your sig so mentioned it but I also saw that you didn’t mentioned it as a bass you play so that was just a wee joke. I also have a ‘89 Thumb 5 with EMGs. I gig it ever so often but I prefer the ‘91 SS2

• Haha 1