Why become a member? ×

Bitcrushers that don’t crush your low end or your wallet?

basexperience

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

Zoom MS-60B has a bitcrusher I think? You'll get plenty of other uses out of it too.

Oooh really...I need to upload the additional 84 patches asap and check them out. You'll be telling me it has a decent compressor on it, as well soon, and no need to take out a mortgage to get a Cali 76 CB...

And actually for all non "mainstream" / regular use pedals - which in my case are dirt, octave, filter -  a multifx like the Zoom MS-60B really does make both financial and pedal board space saving sense! I'm using my Zoom for delay, tremolo, tuner, cab sims, compression and now even possibly bit crushing!

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

As ive just got an instrumental/electronic project together, ive been getting increasingly interested in ring mods/bit crushers (especially as I've been listening to nerve) . I want to put them inthe loop of my cog T65,  I, m seriously gassing for the co pilot orbit (they have a ten knob version on their FB page) as it seems a really versatile pedal, but is a ring mod as is the DOD Gonkulator which looks good (anyone any experience? ). Bit crushers seem to be really expensive, for something that isn't going to be used loads.  The only cheap one ive seen is the Mooer Lo Fi machine, but I've gone off that ad the you tube demos sound awful!. so as per the OP any bit crushers which Aren't daft money would be great :)

I tried the Gonkulator a while back in Wunjo Bass (Denmark Street) and was pretty underwhelmed if I’m honest. I struggled to find a usable sound, for my tastes at least. A decent bitcrusher/sample rate reducer is well worth the price of admission! I picked mine up for ~£140 on eBay.

Good call! but I looked into that and couldn't find a bit crusher on the FX list!!I have thought about getting one though for delay and reverb (other effects I wouldn't use, but nice to have in case) has anyone else used  a DOD gonkulator?  ive heard it's the old DOD grunge distortion mixed with a rudimentary ring mod! I do trust Camerons opinion so may miss that one as it's £110. I still want a Co pilot orbit! definitely one fir next year :)

Edited by lee650

38 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Good call! but I looked into that and couldn't find a bit crusher on the FX list!!I have thought about getting one though for delay and reverb (other effects I wouldn't use, but nice to have in case) has anyone else used  a DOD gonkulator?  ive heard it's the old DOD grunge distortion mixed with a rudimentary ring mod! I do trust Camerons opinion so may miss that one as it's £110. I still want a Co pilot orbit! definitely one fir next year :)

Page 15: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_MS-60B_FX-list_v2.pdf

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lee650 said:

As ive just got an instrumental/electronic project together, ive been getting increasingly interested in ring mods/bit crushers (especially as I've been listening to nerve) . I want to put them inthe loop of my cog T65,  I, m seriously gassing for the co pilot orbit (they have a ten knob version on their FB page) as it seems a really versatile pedal, but is a ring mod as is the DOD Gonkulator which looks good (anyone any experience? ). Bit crushers seem to be really expensive, for something that isn't going to be used loads.  The only cheap one ive seen is the Mooer Lo Fi machine, but I've gone off that ad the you tube demos sound awful!. so as per the OP any bit crushers which Aren't daft money would be great :)

Ah, wicked - I’ve been experimenting with the analogue side of my pedal setup this morning. Got midi control of the Future Impact and PolyMod Pro working! An FCB1010 with UNO 1.04 can do so much with these pedals...

let me know what you’re using; interested to know as my project hasn’t started yet!

2A023BDE-5055-49AB-A6D2-F8B973BA4968.jpeg

18 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

The Moeer lofi is a cheap entry point into this world. I've just got one and am pretty impressed with it so far. Am sure may end up upgrading but at least it's allowing me to try out sounds / develop ideas etc :) £54 from GAK - can't go wrong! 

Dude - that looks like an ideal entry point. The controls look like it’s the real deal, and it even has guitar/keys/bass switch (which I presume helps those sound sources). 

Will definitely try one of these first!

3 minutes ago, basexperience said:

Dude - that looks like an ideal entry point. The controls look like it’s the real deal, and it even has guitar/keys/bass switch (which I presume helps those sound sources). 

Although don’t be afraid to experiment with that switch - I think I remember reading over on Talkbass that someone found it to sound better on the guitar setting...with a bass :crazy:

Edited by CameronJ

Cool. I’m always interested in experimenting - I actually got the Sourcs Audio PolyMod Pro rather than the bass one when I discovered you could enable another lower band on the EQ. It sounds great with bass and other instruments too. 

Have ordered the Mooer Lofi machine as a starting point - totally blown away by you guys and the response. Thanks so much, this has really made my Christmas!

• Like 1

Let me know how you get on with the lo fi machine as ive been looking at it for the last couple of weeks!  as i said earlier the you tube vids put me off!! totally missed that the zoom has bit crusher and ring mod,  so that may be a better buy than the mooer as it does loads of other things :)

58 minutes ago, basexperience said:

I think it's great. Just going to try and upload a short clip now

55 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Although don’t be afraid to experiment with that switch - I think I remember reading over on Talkbass that someone found it to sound better on the guitar setting...with a bass :crazy:

I didn't find that to be the case - but each to their own :)

50 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Let me know how you get on with the lo fi machine as ive been looking at it for the last couple of weeks!  as i said earlier the you tube vids put me off!! totally missed that the zoom has bit crusher and ring mod,  so that may be a better buy than the mooer as it does loads of other things :)

I like it so far see below. It's maybe a little noisy but in the mix  you won't hear that.

Edited by dodge_bass

3 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

Here's a short demo clip of me trying to cop a synth sound - original track on the RH and my bass on the LH....let me know your thoughts? This is the Moeer LoFi pedal plus an octaver.

SYNTH BASSS DEMO CLIP.m4a

Dang, it doesn’t play on iOS! Not sure why... I’ll try PC later on

• Sad 1

@dodge_bass @basexperience

great little demo Dodge bass!  lofi sounds nice and subtle but deffo adds abit of synthyness to the octave (an Oc2 by any chance)

basexperiece ive just started myself and my set up isn't as elaborate as yours (my board and setup is in the pedalboard thread) my core sound is a cog T65 with 3 leaf you're Doom. and Wonderlove!  but I've also a cog OD and MXR phase/flange/chorus so in using combos of those pedals! The cog octave with the dirty up is a main sound and i can blend in other FX via its loop.  I'm looking at expanding my setup with ring mod/bit crusher and getting an expression pedal next year!  I'm also going to try and get another Digitech bass synth wah as they sound great. The keyboard player has absolutely loads of vintage synths and arpegiators as well as a really cool nord! and he really knows how to use them, he also has an original deep impact which I think I'll be borrowing off him :)

were doing some covers of electronic Sci Fi film soundtracks (terminator in 7/4, stranger things theme, John carpenter themes etc) as well as prog rock and fusion (herbie Hancock etc)  as well as original material. As ive judt discovered Jojo Mayer and nerve through researching pedals ivecgot really into those sounds! Its all for fun and im finally getting to mess about with my pedals :)

Edited by lee650
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, lee650 said:

great little demo Dodge bass!  lofi sounds nice and subtle but deffo adds abit of synthyness to the octave (an Oc2 by any chance)

basexperiece ive just started myself and my set up isn't as elaborate as yours (my board and setup is in the pedalboard thread) my core sound is a cog T65 with 3 leaf you're Doom. and Wonderlove!  but I've also a cog OD and MXR phase/flange/chorus so in using combos of those pedals! The cog octave with the dirty up is a main sound and i can blend in other FX via its loop.  I'm looking at expanding my setup with ring mod/bit crusher and getting an expression pedal next year!  I'm also going to try and get another Digitech bass synth wah as they sound great. The keyboard player has absolutely loads of vintage synths and arpegiators as well as a really cool nord! and he really knows how to use them, he also has an original deep impact which I think I'll be borrowing off him :)

were doing some covers of electronic Sci Fi film soundtracks (terminator in 7/4, stranger things theme, John carpenter themes etc) as well as prog rock and fusion (herbie Hancock etc)  as well as original material. As ive judt discovered Jojo Mayer and nerve through researching pedals ivecgot really into those sounds! Its all for fun and im finally getting to mess about with my pedals :)

Aw man, that sounds like a wicked project! Good on you. Sir! At the moment it’s just me and a rather amazing drummer; keyboard player is TBD. Drummer has sample pads too!

52 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Thanks - yes OC2 indeed - good ears sir! Yes, I'm just trying to emulate that specific sound as I think it's great. Though getting the sound is only half the battle - transcribing LOTS of keyboard synth lines is the other half as keys players definitely approach lines with a slightly different mentality - which is proving a lot of fun learning about. 

Your new project sounds absolutely ace -  very jealous!! 

@dodge_bass

lol! the oc2 octave sound is unmistakable!  I really regret selling mine, as much as I love the cog. Ive always been a massive fan of keyboard bass Stevie Wonder, Greg Phillinganes, bernies Worrall etc, but only fairly recently started to explore 

those sounds via pedals. alas although I'm a good sight reader, ive always struggled with transcribing :( the keyboard  player  i have is fantastic (he's also a great bass player to) and my brother in law is drumming he's pretty good too. We've just got together so working out material abs well get a guitarist and maybe a sax player in the future when we've got a bit of material together.  very different to what I've done before which was function band/theatre pit work :)

so the mooer definately worth a punt!

Edited by lee650