Jump to content
Left leaderboard
ikay

Serek short scale basses

Recommended Posts

Damn, the Lincoln I was pondering has gone.  Too slow!  
 

I was holding back due to colour of bass not quite my usual taste.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Given that Sereks are as rare as rocking horse poo second hand and not exactly cheap, has anyone given Wilcock basses a look? https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass?_=pf&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock Basses&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock&pf_t_scale_length=30"

https://www.wilcocklondon.com

Wilcocks are great, I’ve played a couple of ‘Mullarkey’ models. I went with a Serek because I had met and spoken with Jake quite a bit, and I like purchasing from people who I feel an affiliation with, plus I preferred the 2x2 headstock. For me, the Wilcock stuff, aesthetically speaking, covered the same ground as my Mustang, although of course much higher in quality.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Wilcocks are great, I’ve played a couple of ‘Mullarkey’ models. I went with a Serek because I had met and spoken with Jake quite a bit, and I like purchasing from people who I feel an affiliation with, plus I preferred the 2x2 headstock. For me, the Wilcock stuff, aesthetically speaking, covered the same ground as my Mustang, although of course much higher in quality.

Si

I have to agree on the 2+2 headstock, that on a Mullarkey would be pukka (and probably look too much like a Supro).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Ooooooooh!!  That MW 2 in black is right up my alley 😋

Do it 😉

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sibob said:

Do it 😉

Si

Tempting but regrettably I think that really would be 'a bass too far' 😐

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Just appeared in their shop. Droooool! 

 

Screenshot_20200612-173729_Instagram.jpg

Jake has been busy. That's a beauty!

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a Midwestern 2. It’s a great bass for sure! I bought it without trying one and have never owned a short scale bass before. It is not expensive for what it is in my opinion, it’s a handmade top tier instrument. 

Edited by Vanheusen77
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 07/06/2020 at 06:36, ezbass said:

Given that Sereks are as rare as rocking horse poo second hand and not exactly cheap, has anyone given Wilcock basses a look? https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass?_=pf&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock Basses&pf_v_manufacturer=Wilcock&pf_t_scale_length=30"

https://www.wilcocklondon.com

Yes and I much prefer the Wilcock. That’s saying a lot since serek’s are very cool. The Wilcock is just a better built bass with a fatter, warmer tone - IMO. I played the Mullarkey model.

 

For Serek, I am very intrigued by his 5 string models. One of those may be in my future.

Edited by TheGhostofJaco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGhostofJaco said:

Yes and I much prefer the Wilcock. That’s saying a lot since serek’s are very cool. The Wilcock is just a better built bass with a fatter, warmer tone - IMO. I played the Mullarkey model.

Naaaaa, not possible to say that, they’re both excellently built! Whether one prefers one over the other is subjective of course, Wilcock has built basses with Serek’s B90’s in, and Serek has any number of pickup options....so ‘fatness’ is simply down to that.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sibob said:

Naaaaa, not possible to say that, they’re both excellently built! Whether one prefers one over the other is subjective of course, Wilcock has built basses with Serek’s B90’s in, and Serek has any number of pickup options....so ‘fatness’ is simply down to that.

Si

Its my opinion and I said it. I picked the Wilcock for the reasons I stated. Pretty easy decision for me.

 

To be clear Mullarkey V Midwestern in my case.

Edited by TheGhostofJaco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TheGhostofJaco said:

Its my opinion and I said it. I picked the Wilcock for the reasons I stated. Pretty easy decision for me.

 

To be clear Mullarkey V Midwestern in my case.

You picked them for reasons of tone though, as opposed to one being ‘better built’ than the other. I simply asserted that they are as well built as one another, both being accomplished luthiers.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sibob said:

You picked them for reasons of tone though, as opposed to one being ‘better built’ than the other. I simply asserted that they are as well built as one another, both being accomplished luthiers.

Si

I prefer the build of the wilcock as well.again, my preference and opinion based on a pretty long career as a bassist. Enjoy the serek, im not attacking your instrument. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New cheaper model.The Grand. Quirky short scale with fuzz circuit. I like it

Screenshot_20200801-114110_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'street price' is $1850.

Sorry guys, but that's not a grand.

You really should know that already.

Fail.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't give up your day job, Jack.

Oh, you did 😗 😂

Edited by Clarky
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 left this morning.  I was so tempted to pull trigger.  Just looked again.  All sold.  If Serek become a household name those basses are gonna be worth something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

2 left this morning.  I was so tempted to pull trigger.  Just looked again.  All sold.  If Serek become a household name those basses are gonna be worth something.

Not surprised, cool bass, limited editions. If Jake puts out a 5 string version of it as a run, I’m in trouble. Probably unlikely at that price though. 

Very much looking forward to seeing each of the iterations though!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Number 002 is winging its way to me 😁

It was the tones on the video that sold me (sounds from about 1:20 onwards)

 

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Clarky said:

Number 002 is winging its way to me 😁

It was the tones on the video that sold me (sounds from about 1:20 onwards)

 

That could’ve been mine.  My star sign is libra, so decision making is not one of my finest qualities 🤯. Enjoy the bass!

Quote

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarlscharisma said:

That could’ve been mine.  My star sign is libra, so decision making is not one of my finest qualities 🤯. Enjoy the bass!

 

You’ll know better for the next batch huh 😉

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...