Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF-500. Other options?

XoSo

I'm looking to upgrade from my little Vox Pathfinder amp as I continue my bass learning journey and would like an amp head with headphone socket and aux in so it can be used without a cab through headphones for home practise (not flush with money at the moment so this way I can add a cab later). Not bothered about effects but onboard compression would be nice. Budget hopefully less  than £400. So far the Ampeg PF-500 seems to fit the bill on all counts but just wondering if there are any other alternatives I should look at before making a purchase.

Quite - £400  should get you a decent (if not super high end) second hand head and cab.  The head will do all the things you want.  Further, £400 would get you a good 250w combo new - definitely a TC BG250 at least, in whatever speaker config you wanted.

Out of interest, what attracts you to the PF-500?  They don't have the best rep for reliability or build quality.

I'm guessing you prefer to buy new rather than used?  I’d say don’t be put off by the stories about PF500's failing - those problems were sorted ages ago.  I have one from about 2015 and it’s a great amp for the price, which incidentally hasn’t changed in the last couple of years.

Depending on what sort of music you play and whether you gig or not I’d also suggest the GK MB200 might be worth looking at.  I also have one of those, and I’d be happy to gig it with my pub band (Edit: to be fair, in my case I’d only do that if using both my 12” cabs), despite the fact that I have to keep up with a pretty loud drummer.  It doesn’t have the same headroom as the Ampeg, though it’s not far off.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

Thanks for the responses guys. To answer a couple of questions. I would certainly consider buying second hand, particularly if it was through basschat rather than eBay, but being new to bass I'm a bit wary of not really knowing what I'm buying. If I buy new I know that even if I don't like it (within reason) I can return it. That Genz Benz shuttle btw looks tasty but maybe a bit powerful? Even running one cab at 8ohm I'd need a mighty powerful cab I think. What do I like about the Ampeg? Well in truth it was one of the first I came across with the spec I want and I've kind of stuck with it. I do like the design I have to say, which is not the most important thing but a consideration when it has to look good in the living room. The matching cabs also looks good and are a decent price. I know there is no reason you have to go with the matching cab but in my case there is no reason not to. I also like the simplicity of it. I'll be honest for a long while before I landed on the ampeg I'd made my mind up to get a TC BG250 but i know what i'm like and i'd get too distracted playing with all the tone print effects when I should be practising. I know all about the stories of the PF-500s shutting down but to be fair that was a few years ago when they first came out and speaking to current owners that problem seems to be resolved. I mean even though i've only really picked up the bass in the last couple of months i've always known the name Ampeg,  they're pretty iconic right? I don't think i need to over think it. I'm sure it will do me fine and i can slways sell it down the line later for something better but I just though i'd throw it out to you guys in case, not really knowing the market, there was something else out there i was missing that blows the ampeg out of the water.

Edited by XoSo

The PF500 is a very nice sounding amp. I`ve had two, one good, one not, but that was a long time ago, and reading about any problems on these amps, they`re always situations like mine, happened years ago, so Ampeg must have sorted it pretty well.

For on-board compression on amps, well another consideration is the Ashdown RM-500-EVO - these amps are amazing imo, have a lot more "ooomph" to the sound than most of the other Class D amps around, are amazingly loud, and - real plus point here - are based in the UK, and offer really good customer service. They`re on here too.

I`ve had loads of the Class D amps, PF500, Markbass, Gallien Krueger, TC Electronics and the Ashdown for me is the closest to nailing the big amp sound in a small box. All the others were great amps mind, not a bad one amongst them, you`d be happy with any I reckon.

Have a look at the Ampeg BA210, as well the Fender Rumble 500. Both look like seriously good amps, relatively light (around 17-18kg), with the added bonus that you don't have to buy a cab (unless you want to use the full wattage).

The new Hartke HD500 combo looks very interesting indeed as well. Similar concept to the Ampeg & Rumble, 2x10, Class D combo, 17-18kg, but it's priced about £50 cheaper than the other two. The downside is, that I haven't seen any for sale from any UK sellers yet, but Thomann and other German retailers have them. They do look like a good alternative to the other two.

Like the look of any of the three, preference is leaning towards the Ampeg, but both the Fender and the Hartke have some really good features... Pity I'm skint. :D