Why become a member? ×

What makes a good drummer?

mentalextra

Had anyone mentioned besides me how important the whole notion "good people" is whether it be a drummer, singer, keys or guitar.

I read so many threads about bands imploding on BC. Most of the time it's due to Petty drama.

"Good people" guys " good people". I couldn't be more serious.

Blue

obviously they need to keep time.

the good ones listen to the whole band and know when to quieten it and when to step it up

the ability to play softly, not many can. this is especially important in the studio where a drummer who can't hit his cymbals softly is a major pita

the ability to lock in with me and to follow me when Im doing something, as I follow him when he adds a new rhythm 

we found such a drummer, he is in five bands,gets us gigs, is a pro,started lessons again to improve He is 65 :) 

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Had anyone mentioned besides me how important the whole notion "good people" is whether it be a drummer, singer, keys or guitar.

I read so many threads about bands imploding on BC. Most of the time it's due to Petty drama.

"Good people" guys " good people". I couldn't be more serious.

Blue

Yep, often the most fun bands I've been in have been with blokes who are good to be around but may only have been modest players. I've also played with self-obsessed bellends who are convinced by their own genius but who admittedly know their stuff