Why become a member? ×

Looking for promoters (originals)

40hz

Hello good denizens of Basschat,

My band (originals, think 'A Certain Ratio') is looking to do something a bit different and try to get some gigs around the country (we are from Oxford). I don't really know where to begin!! If any of you good people in originals bands know of any promoters I could approach about a gig and would be willing to give some out of towners a go?

Apologies to the mods if general discussion is not the right forum.

Cheers!

Si.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1508814490' post='3394584']
how is that 'a bit different'?

Original bands don't have promotors usually, they're only interested in money making covers. In my experience, you need to network with other bands and venues directly.
[/quote]

I meant a bit different as in for us, out of the comfort zone. We are already networking with promoters and other bands but it's within the Oxfordshire area. Hence my post as we are looking to go much further afield.

Many thanks!

Edited by 40hz

Which era ACR? If it's early on (first 2 or 3 albums) you could also fit into a more 80s industrial scene, as well as that skinny white boy funk.

What worked for The Terrortones when we were first starting out was to hit up any vaguely similar bands on social media and find out where they played locally, and take it from there. Might also be worth looking at gig swaps too.

Guest Jecklin

Chaos theory in london would be worth a look, avoid at all costs dead or alive promotions.

Big red X 's advice is spot on. Trawl the internet and find bands around the uk you feel are doing compatible music and see where they are playing.

Good luck :)

Guest Jecklin

Chaos theory in london would be worth a look, avoid at all costs dead or alive promotions.

Big red X 's advice is spot on. Trawl the internet and find bands around the uk you feel are doing compatible music and see where they are playing.

I don't know of any promoters but the Feathers pub in Lichfield is run by a guy who is mad on his music, pays a decent fee and has some very very good bands on. It's very well set up and they have bands on every Friday and Saturday plus an open mike night every Tuesday. May be worth a call and a chat.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1508876972' post='3395124']

[/quote]

This (especially the tip about Dead Or Alive). But there are many, many more in London, chancers who find that they can get the Water Rats or the Dublin Castle on a Tuesday night for next to nothing and pretend to be promoters when doing no actual promotion (seriously, my last lot tried this circuit and played more midweek toilet gigs than we should have where there wasn't even a poster outside the venue telling people there was a gig on). As a rule of thumb, if they put you on with like minded bands then they're probably actual promoters and you may get a crowd; if you're sharing the bill with a jazz trio, a death metal band and an acoustic folk duo then that's a pretty good indication that there won't be a crowd and you're not getting paid. Like the others have said, I'd focus on finding venues and clubs for your genre and getting in touch with them.

Some venues book bands directly and they're usually a lot better at making sure that the acts have at least something in common - the Boston Music Rooms is one I can thoroughly recommend, and the Horn in St Albans. But even with them pay tends to depend on the crowd, and again you're probably getting offered a Wednesday night (though if you play well they will remember you and ask you back for a better slot). As a rule of thumb you need to be bringing about 50 people to a gig to get an offer to get paid up front.

One plus in London is that most of the venues will have a shell kit and backline, and other bands on the bill will usually be happy to share gear so you probably don't need to bring all your stuff, just instruments and breakables.

Edited by Monkey Steve

From experience I wouldn't even bother with gigs other than Friday and Saturday as there is unlikely to be much of an audience. Thursday and Sunday nights given the right venue and other bands on the bill might be do-able. Any other night forget it unless your band (or the one you are supporting) are popular enough to fill a 200+ venue anywhere in the country.