Why become a member? ×

Slap bass - no longer mainstream?

Al Krow

[quote name='scannerman' timestamp='1508357072' post='3391698']

Gm is my slap key preference!
[/quote]

😂

I use it more for fills in our set, or in a bridge maybe. We only do a couple of tunes that need it. Punters do like it. The breakbeat 16ths thing is so cliche, but people love it.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1508538403' post='3392904']
If your good at it, and I mean really good and know when to use it, that's great. Otherwise it can come off as very corny, IMO

Blue
[/quote]
That is all performance ever summed up.

Slap is about tone. If your tone is good and you can groove tightly its very nice. The odd bit of exhibitionism is also ok but machinegun bollocks - not even musical.Good pick work an be every bit funky.Its a tool which, if used well and in the right place, gives some great accent in a broader palate. For me its in - I don't care what other people's hang-ups are.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1508675606' post='3393675']
Slap is about tone. If your tone is good and you can groove tightly its very nice. The odd bit of exhibitionism is also ok but machinegun bollocks - not even musical.Good pick work an be every bit funky.Its a tool which, if used well and in the right place, gives some great accent in a broader palate. For me its in - I don't care what other people's hang-ups are.
[/quote]

+1 to that! I'll have to 'fess to bringing out thumb slap for my first time ever at a gig on Saturday night just gone. Just one track in a 2 hour set: Kinks "You really got me". Not done on the original, I know, but just really seems to fit. And it was fun! :)