Why become a member? ×

F-Bass BN5

Gwilym

hey ho,

'bout time I got some pr0n up in here!

I mentioned a bit about my new BN5 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30484"]on this thread[/url], and here is the beast...

[attachment=15672:DSCN2189.JPG] [attachment=15673:DSCN2191.JPG] [attachment=15674:DSCN2192.JPG]

[url="http://www.fbass.com/"]More info about them on the F-Bass website[/url]

I'll try to get some sound clips up and some sort of review too, when I find some time.

Cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='323830' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:07 PM']hey ho,

'bout time I got some pr0n up in here!

I mentioned a bit about my new BN5 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30484"]on this thread[/url], and here is the beast...

[attachment=15672:DSCN2189.JPG] [attachment=15673:DSCN2191.JPG] [attachment=15674:DSCN2192.JPG]

[url="http://www.fbass.com/"]More info about them on the F-Bass website[/url]

I'll try to get some sound clips up and some sort of review too, when I find some time.

Cheers
G[/quote]

Hi Gwil,

That's quite something! I won't even dare ask what they cost but work of that calibre doesn't come cheap! Look forward to hearing the soundclips :)

Nik

Damn, I knew you couldn't resist, I was actually going to use that bass to show Martin how I want my ramp to work on my Jazz, as those wooden pickup covers are superb on this F bass. But it's also one of the most playable instruments I have EVER played, a truly wonderful bass and while the looks aren't 100% to my liking I know I would learn to love her in no time, really awesome instrument so big congrats matey!

M

[quote name='7string' post='323840' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:20 PM']Very cool. What a great bass.

I love the way that F bass get that finish in the grain.[/quote]

hi 7string, thanks! it's a pretty distinctive finish, and I think works particularly well on the natural "blonde" look. I think it's my favourite out of all the finishes I've seen on the various F basses I've seen.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='323845' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:31 PM']all the F-basses I've tried have sounded even better than they've looked.[/quote]

all I can say is, I thought it was a nice looking bass, and I was interested to try it, as I'd never seen one in the flesh before and I didn't expect to be so blown away by it. i guess it's all subjective, looks, sound and ergonomics, but this one absolutely worked for me :)

[quote name='7string' post='323851' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:35 PM']One of the brands which I've never had the chance to play.

Never heard anything from F-Bass owners except wild enthusiasm and pride at owning one:D[/quote]

i'll just join the back of the queue then :huh:

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='323853' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:39 PM']Hi Gwil,

That's quite something! I won't even dare ask what they cost but work of that calibre doesn't come cheap! Look forward to hearing the soundclips :huh:

Nik[/quote]

cheers Nik, it's hasn't cost me anything yet, but that credit card bill won't be a long time coming now, doh!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='323879' date='Nov 7 2008, 12:40 AM']*chin hits floor* ouch!

mmm F-Bass![/quote]

:)

[quote name='steve' post='323940' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:30 AM']wow, that's a stunning bass[/quote]

cheers!

[quote name='Josh' post='324381' date='Nov 7 2008, 06:12 PM']Gwilym get some pics of your 535 up man![/quote]

heh, I took a few the other night, I'll get some up soon :huh:

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='324506' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:13 PM'][url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/fbass.html"]LINK[/url][/quote]

don't believe everything you read on the internet :huh:

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='324582' date='Nov 7 2008, 11:14 PM']great bass.....ive got one and its a really bass, always sounds amazing..i love the eq![/quote]

nice one Geoff, have you got the one that birdy and a couple of others used to own? I think there's one other I've seen around these parts, which is bassjamms old one. I think dougal has that now.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='324590' date='Nov 7 2008, 11:22 PM']With all this F-bass love going on .... I don't suppose anyone here has a fretless 5 (BNF5) they want to sell or trade, have they ?

Andy[/quote]

There's a F fretless at the Gallery - can't find it on the Gallery site though - you should get out there are check it out, it was *really* nice (but no fret lines).

[quote name='urb' post='324941' date='Nov 8 2008, 07:23 PM']Damn, I knew you couldn't resist, I was actually going to use that bass to show Martin how I want my ramp to work on my Jazz, as those wooden pickup covers are superb on this F bass. But it's also one of the most playable instruments I have EVER played, a truly wonderful bass and while the looks aren't 100% to my liking I know I would learn to love her in no time, really awesome instrument so big congrats matey!

M[/quote]

yeah, got to agree with you Mike, it is ergonomically very very comfortable and a pleasure to play. As was your Sei single-cut too!

thanks everyone for the positive comments! Got to do some recording with the F today - not heard the results properly yet, but initial signs are good :huh:
cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='325027' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:21 PM']There's a F fretless at the Gallery - can't find it on the Gallery site though - you should get out there are check it out, it was *really* nice (but no fret lines).[/quote]
Already played it, that's exactly why I'm gassing for one. Don't think I can stretch to that kind of cash though. Almost EXACTLY the fretless 5 I want (including the lack of fretlines) ... it's a few millionths of a point below 10 out 10 because its vol+vol (versus vol+blend) and it's a rather loud shade of blue.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='325051' date='Nov 8 2008, 11:01 PM']Already played it, that's exactly why I'm gassing for one. Don't think I can stretch to that kind of cash though. Almost EXACTLY the fretless 5 I want (including the lack of fretlines) ... it's a few millionths of a point below 10 out 10 because its vol+vol (versus vol+blend) and it's a rather loud shade of blue.[/quote]

that's the one! lovely! not quite my colour though :)

Great bass there my friend...

I kinda miss my F Bass, they're wicked...too polite sounding though for me. Mine was the Black Ceruse finish one that Dougal has now.

One thing i found with mine is that the pre-amp takes a little getting used to as it's boost only. The Natural tendancy seemed to be to whack everything up, but if you leave it all flat you get the exact same sound as the passive mode, and build from there. You may have already worked that out though :)

How you finding it in the dual coil mode too?

You gotta love the tiny mandolin frets too, so smooth!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='325051' date='Nov 8 2008, 11:01 PM']Already played it, that's exactly why I'm gassing for one. Don't think I can stretch to that kind of cash though. Almost EXACTLY the fretless 5 I want (including the lack of fretlines) ... it's a few millionths of a point below 10 out 10 because its vol+vol (versus vol+blend) and it's a rather loud shade of blue.[/quote]

If I couldn't afford it before, I definitely can't now. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's just gone up by about 400.