Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! To the dark side Build One - Alembic-esque Electric

Andyjr1515

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

But actually no - that's the sister build that is shaped like the piccolo bass.  It's the same woods so should look pretty similar but with that one I'm going ultra-light and ultra slim.

That one is progressing slowly in the background but will generally always be second fiddle time-wise because it's for me so there are fewer time expectations ;) 

Fewer expectations?  I have a hard time believing that but whatever you say.  Heeheehee.

16 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

...the sister build that is shaped like the piccolo bass.  It's the same woods so should look pretty similar but with that one I'm going ultra-light and ultra slim...

I am reassured to hear that the ultra-light Bass is the one that you will show-off.  The guitar stuff is just to demonstrate that you've been there and done that - right?

Heeheehee.  I am only jesting when I say that I now think of the ultra-light bass as the Featherlight.  Other names are available if Durex decide to get uppity about it.

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I am reassured to hear that the ultra-light Bass is the one that you will show-off.  The guitar stuff is just to demonstrate that you've been there and done that - right?

Heeheehee.  I am only jesting when I say that I now think of the ultra-light bass as the Featherlight.  Other names are available if Durex decide to get uppity about it.

Sorry to disappoint, but the ultra-light is another 6 string electric (but same shape as the piccolo bass).  I know - well and truly, though temporarily no doubt, shifted to the dark side ;)

After a bit of a disrupted week and weekend (real life getting in the way!) I've been polishing the top to see if the gloss is good enough without a re-flattening and re-application.
The reason there can be a doubt is that:

• You can't polish it up until it is properly hard (c 2 weeks)
  • My method - as I always stress in my build threads - will never match a well-applied and buffed poly spray finish.  However, it should be 'fit for purpose' in terms of surface finish and overall look.
  • BUT - you don't know if it's fit for purpose until it's polished...

Anyway - while this does not bear well a very up-close oblique-light scrutiny, I think it is fit for purpose and doesn't need flattening down and reapplying (which, of course, can sometimes come out worse!):

M24FiTal.jpg

4aDLteWl.jpg

InwosIIl.jpg

Now - the good thing about THAT, is not only that I don't have to do a re-application and suffer further two weeks of uncertainty, but also I can now drill the remaining control pot holes and try and fit all the fancy electrics in (because while ever there is a possibility of having to re-gloss, the fewer the streak-producing holes in the top the better   )

I've started the job - I live in hope that I'll have some sound coming out of this sometime by the end of tomorrow (I could do with finishing this one now!)...although it will take me another week to work out how to get the hatch to sit properly xD:

DmK2qihl.jpg

Oo.  They look like those nasty boingy cables that refuse to follow a route other than the one in which they've been set at the factory.  Hold them down with cable ties and anchor screws or replace with more compliant ones cut to size?

The burning question - do you make a wire harness or work with what you've got?

47 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Oo.  They look like those nasty boingy cables that refuse to follow a route other than the one in which they've been set at the factory.  Hold them down with cable ties and anchor screws or replace with more compliant ones cut to size?

The burning question - do you make a wire harness or work with what you've got?

Yes - the three way with a large stiff cable coming out vertically is actually quite ridiculous for something designed solely to be fitted to a guitar.  The boot is going to have to be cut off for starters and see if the wire can be bent 90 degrees.  The cables are certainly going to need to be properly secured down if I'm going to have any chance of using magnetic catches.

I rate Schaller very highly in so many ways, but the fitting of the bridge, the total lack of instruction or guidance or even reference to the wire spaghetti coming out the botton of the piezo version, the difficulty in routine stringing and re stringing of the bridge and then the preamp where, purely because a designer has completely ignored how the product will be fit and could -so easily- have used more flexible sleeving and thoughtful wire routes is, quite frankly and in my personal view, shoddy.  No other word for it.

Edited by Andyjr1515

So - lots of fun today :)

First of all, I had to get that silly vertical cable to lie down.  You wouldn't think Schaller mainly deal in guitars and basses...how many 3" - 4" deep basses do you know that could have a control chamber that would accommodate this design 'feature'?

8mJmIu4l.jpg

And the only way of doing that is to invalidate the warranty on what is a very expensive bit of kit by taking off the very stiff, very thick sealed rubber boot:

8SiuB9el.jpg

And while we're on the subject of 'I love Schaller, but...', if I turn round the guitar to see the other side, let me give you a quick quiz...

Question:

Between the two types of knob:

• nicely powder coated solid brass knurled, allen-key secured, standard 6mm shaft beauties
  • push on, plastic, non-standard 3mm shaft, small top hat

...which is the dirt cheap Harley Benton offering and which is part of the Schaller flagShip top of the range (and very expensive) piezo pre-amp mixer offering?

FuF5XWPl.jpg

Yes - the nice knobs are the Harley Benton ones.

Honestly, I DO love Schaller - great service and some great, great products but, if you're looking, fellas...come on...you are better than this!

So, I found this in my bits box:

B3vQiskl.jpg

And the bottom left hand bit has an i.d. of 3mm

...and when you put it on the sanding wheel, you can get this - a 6mm o.d. (you make knobs, Schaller - yes, 6mm...the standard size of the knobs you supply to millions of us!):

ERM6dbKl.jpg

And that fits on the non-standard 3mm shaft of the three way rotary:

z6oaMeGl.jpg

On which the nasty cheap Harley Benton knob itself fits:

TR17G9pl.jpg

Call me uncouth, but I think that looks better 9_9:

eqovMW6l.jpg

And then came the rest of the day (pretty much 12 hours) with the myriad of tweaks, and drills, and earthing and tinning and checking and planning, until:

dP2wMZ5l.jpg

And - knock me down with a feather - it all bloody works!

And the hatch still fits.

And I'm going to go and have a long sit down.... ;)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HowieBass said:

You're going to have to tell them to offer a unit with a 90 degree angled rubber boot - ridiculous that something like that is supposed to fit inside a solid body guitar.

Yes - I will drop them a line with some polite suggestions of small changes that would make things a lot easier for their other customers.  

It is a stunning bit of kit in most other ways.  It is also impressive that there is no volume difference between the magnetics and the piezo at all!  Never come across that before - very impressive

This isn't a shot of the Alembic-esque - but it is related.  And it should warm the pink torpedoles of @scrumpymike 's heart:

KrS3V1ql.jpg

It's his veneer going on his Lyte back, because I've got the bench back....BECAUSE I'VE FINISHED THE ELECTRIC! :D

Here are some finished shots:

IJIFMKUh.jpg

YqPkdsPh.jpg

Jhsi0uNl.jpg

vBHSZqql.jpg

bKRXrZil.jpg

MA5QVdXl.jpg

zrN2jtrl.jpg

There are a couple of tidy-up jobs to do (but none that need the workbench, Mike ;) ) including adding the hatch to chamber contact strips to those that notice such things (and centreing and gluing the nut for those that notice those things too) but this is pretty much how it looks :)

I've done some sound clips - I'll post those shortly.

As always, thanks very much indeed for your interest, support, comments and suggestions along the way :)

• Like 4

A pretty young thing like that could have whoever she wanted...

I'd best drop the metaphor.  It's difficult enough what with it being two strings and an octave up on my favourite type of guitar and all.

It is truly gorgeous though.  Your swifts seem to be flying in a sultry sky on the headstock.  It's like a little piece of artwork all of its own.

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

This isn't a shot of the Alembic-esque - but it is related.  And it should warm the pink torpedoles of @scrumpymike 's heart:

KrS3V1ql.jpg

It's his veneer going on his Lyte back, because I've got the bench back....BECAUSE I'VE FINISHED THE ELECTRIC! :D

No problem Andy, don't mind waiting in line behind that beauty - what an absolute cracker is that!

6 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

No problem Andy, don't mind waiting in line behind that beauty - what an absolute cracker is that!

You've got to show us photos of your 'pink torpedoles' now though.  @Andyjr1515says they should be nicely warm.  Why?  Were they blue with the cold before?

(If they still recognise Google-busters these days; pink torpedoles qualifies as one.)

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

You've got to show us photos of your 'pink torpedoles' now though.  @Andyjr1515says they should be nicely warm.  Why?  Were they blue with the cold before?

(If they still recognise Google-busters these days; pink torpedoles qualifies as one.)

Auto correct never ceases to bemuse me...but this one seemed worth keeping. The word typed was 'pink torpedoles'. Yes - quite!