Why become a member? ×

Magellan 800 - any reason not to go for it?

scrumpymike

After a lot of online research, review reading and video watching/listening for this and similar amp heads, I'm liking this one a lot! I play covers (mainly '60s thru '80s) and original material (from electric folk via folk-rock to 'world music') on a variety of basses (active, passive, electro-acoustic). My current gig-amp is a trusty TE AH300 SMC GP7, which does a pretty good job after much experimentation with control settings. I'm using a range of BF 12" and 10" cabs, which are keepers. The only pedal I own (apart from tuner and volume) is a Bass Soul Food.

Anyone know of any good reason why I shouldn't go ahead with the Magellan? The dealer has a 7-day return with no questions asked policy (I would pay the return carriage), so trying it out at home will be cheaper (and much better) than a try-out in the shop.

I know sweet FA about the Magellan 800 but if your dealer has as good a returns policy as you say they have then you should have nothing to lose. Trying it out with your own cabs in your own environment will always be better than trying it out in store with an unfamiliar room and unfamiliar basses. Do it!

One very happy Magellan 800 owner here. In short, the amp sounds superb and is incredibly versatile, you can get everything from warm, mid rich retro sounds to modern, bright scooped sounds just by using the dual voiced contour control. My band covers stuff from the 60's to contemporary music and the Magellan handles it all with ease, it really is that versatile!

In my opinion none of the YouTube videos that I saw do it justice, it sounds so much better 'in the flesh'.

Other features in its favour (in my opinion and experience of course!) include;
A great, neutral sound with no particular bias towards any frequency range,
A simple but sensibly voiced and very usable eq, with frequency centres that are spot on for live work,
The sublime drive channel is low gain with a subtle mid-bump eq and delivers a very convincing valve like warmth and just sounds right to me. You could ditch the Bass Soul Food in a flash!
Heft. There, I've said it. Yes it's class D, no it doesn't have any valves or a big heavy transformer, but there is a real weight and substance to the tone.
No unnecessary bells and whistles, just everything you need.
It just sounds right.

Here's some thoughts about how I feel it performed against a few of its peers -
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/303884-amp-test-drive%3B-aguilar-darkglass-genzler-and-mesa-boogie/

Hi Mike,
I have used an Ashdown Retroglide 800 with a Barefaced Super Twin (with DHA VT1 Bass pedal and a SWB 1 bass guitar) and my band mates made really good comments on the sound. Since the speaker was borrowed I have now ordered a Two10 from Barefaced.

A fine amp. I preferred (and bought) the Aguilar AG700 when I went shopping recently for a new head. However, that was just my preference and the Magellan may suit you better. I'd say you must try and compare before you buy. By the time you've bought a few and tried hem at home, sent back the ones you don't want, etc, etc, you'll probably spend more time on it than you would if you set aside a day to visit a well stocked shop and do a proper side by side comparison.

Edited by Dan Dare

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went for it - and I absolutely love it! Just received this morning a mint and boxed example from 'starless', who replied to my 'wanted' ad on the forum. Thanks to all who aided and abetted me with my latest GAS raid. (Tried Gilly's TH500 first btw).