Why become a member? ×

YAMAHA BB SERIES RESALE VALUE?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

Looking into the Yamaha BB series basses as my next purchase; they seem like a good alternative to a standard P or J bass. Hypothetically speaking, if we say that it has been well looked after with no problems etc, how much could I expect to get back from one of these if I decide to sell in future? This might seem like an odd question, but it doesn’t hurt to plan for the worst. After losing too much money on other brands before, I have since learnt to be mindful of resale value.

Cheers.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1500362575' post='3337139']
For me the problem with Yamaha is that the model numbers don't tell you much, you say a BB series, well a BBNE2 is around £3500!
[/quote]

This.

The BB series has been through so many iterations a more specific model is needed to give you a value.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1500334684' post='3337068']
Buy one used on this forum and you will lose very little or nothing.
Buy new and you'll be looking at losing 40%.
[/quote]

This definitely. I'm with you on not wanting to lose too much on re-sales - most of the basses I've ever owned have been second-hand
In fact, I think I've only ever bought a new bass once :o

EDIT: There's one for sale here on this very forum. I have dealt with Paul S before, and he's an absolute top BC'er and great guy to deal with..... I'm not on 10% though - I promise! lol

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305975-yamaha-bb425-black-excellent-condition-now-l250/page__p__3330408__hl__yamaha__fromsearch__1#entry3330408

Edited by Marc S

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1500362575' post='3337139'] For me the problem with Yamaha is that the model numbers don't tell you much, you say a BB series, well a BBNE2 is around £3500! [/quote][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1500363837' post='3337155'] This. The BB series has been through so many iterations a more specific model is needed to give you a value. [/quote][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I am looking into the BB1024 model. Which is currently retailing at £649 from stores such as PMT.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Well you should shop around as the 1024 is discontinued and heavily discounted in lots of places - £499 here!

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170125306658008--yamaha-bb1024-tobacco-brown-sunburst

That's not too far off last year's typical used price. This means it's a great time to buy one as you won't lose so much if/when you sell!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1500404433' post='3337537']
Well you should shop around as the 1024 is discontinued and heavily discounted in lots of places - £499 here!

[url="https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170125306658008--yamaha-bb1024-tobacco-brown-sunburst"]https://www.guitargu...-brown-sunburst[/url]

That's not too far off last year's typical used price. This means it's a great time to buy one as you won't lose so much if/when you sell!
[/quote]

And I have just bought one of these babies and it`s a step above the 424x it has replaced. It is just a great playing bass and the gig bag is plush.

I bought a BB1025 a couple of years ago and am well pleased. You get a passive bass that feels and sounds high quality, does the Precision thing (I'm told), but costs less (also has a J pick up and a surprisingly responsive tone control).

I can't imagine that you would be disappointed - particularly for 499.

They have just launched a new BB range so retailers must be clearing the old stock.