Why become a member? ×

Advice on keyboard/synth sounds

jezzaboy

I will be starting a new covers project soon and we need some synth/piano/keyboards sounds. Just basic stuff like the keyboard parts in the Killers songs etc. We`re not looking to be Gary Numan!

None of us are piano players but some have dabbled.

I went looking today for something that would do piano and synth sounds at a reasonable budget and there ain`t too big a selection. We can either get a keyboard that does all the usual piano, organ and a bit of synth or a Roland JD XI which does piano and synth tones and is a great piece of kit. And it has the bonus of being quite small, the size of a large pedalboard which is half the size of a keyboard.

Before I splash £420 on one of these, could I get away with using a MIDI keyboard controller plugged into my laptop for live use? Does anyone use this set up? If so, what are the pros and cons.

Thanks

Although the JD Xi is very versatile (if irritating on stage with its tiny red writing on a black background) and good for its analogue and sequencing, if I was in a covers bad (if? I am!), I would be more interested in something that was much more preset based, that you could just hit the buttons to get different sounds.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1499357932' post='3331011']
More than likely someone will be playing them and the computer is a Acer pc with 4gb memory and an Intel i5 processor.
[/quote]
You're also going to need a low latency ASIO audio interface otherwise you'll have around half a second delay between the keys on the keyboard being pressed and the note being played.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1499361735' post='3331046']
You're also going to need low latency ASIO audio interface otherwise you'll have around half a second delay between the keys on the keyboard being pressed and the note being played.
[/quote]

Cool. All good information :rolleyes:

There was someone on here, a little while ago, practically giving away a Yamaha SY85. It's a few years old (quite a few actually - I used to have one about 20 years ago) but it's got great synth, piano and organ sounds on it (some really usable and quite original presets). The only thing it hasn't got built in is an arpegiator so you will have to play these yourself (if you want them) but it has got an extremely easy to use multi-track / multi-timbral sequencer that you could program some parts into if you don't fancy playing everything "live".

Ta for all the replies.

Having read a few horror stories of people having had their laptops stolen at gigs, the midi controller idea is out. Myself and guitar boy are gonna hit the shops this weekend and get some ideas.

IME, in your price range, keyboards tend to lack in their synth presets and synths tend to lack in their piano and organ presets.
An alternative might be a used workstation or sampler.
Though for your type of use, if piano sounds are important, I'd try and find a used Yamaha keyboard - the most expensive one you can afford :) - as these tend to be more immediate and self-explaining than workstations and samplers, and you get a better impression of them right away whilst demo'ing.

Edit .
Forgot to mention your best bet is a Moog System 55!
;)