Why become a member? ×

Cheapest decent monitor

lownote

Hi all, looking for recommendations for a monitor cab. I need to get mixer out to me and the drummer. I don't currently go through the mixer so it's just so I can hear what everyone else is doing, mainly the vocals.

I picked up an RCF ART310A for £300 brand new on eBay the other month. There is one [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCF-Art-310A-MKIII-Active-Speaker-/182627919835?hash=item2a8578e7db:g:PJkAAOSwMvtZOxrn"]"as new" with soft case on there at the moment[/url]. Excellent monitors - though not the cheapest, of course.

Edited by RichardH

You probably need to choose between a dedicated floor momitor where the controls are on the front or an active PA speaker which will give you a greater range of choices but those knobs on the back can be hard to reach when the bass is strapped on. Not a problem if you have a separate feed from the mixer of course.

I felt the easy access to the controls was important so I went for (embarrassed cough) the Behringer 1320. Sounds good if a little hi-fi and hasn't let me down in three years. Plenty loud enough and could double as PA speakers at a pinch. In fact don't worry about volume. I've yet to come across monitors which won't drive the PA into screaming feedback way before full volume.

You did say cheap :)

Edited by Phil Starr

• 2 weeks later...

One night I actually forgot to lift my amp so the drummer let me use his Thomann own brand wedge monitor. I ran it at full whack all night and it was flawless. Very impressed, not my usual sound but perfect for getting me out of an otherwise sticky situation

• 1 month later...

I know this may be read with a slightly raised eyebrow but for ultimate portability I'd recommend a TC Helicon Voicesolo FX150, especially since you say drums and bass won't be going through it. 3 channel mixer with 3 band EQ per channel built in. They can be mic stand mounted too which is a godsend on tight stages. Bloody loud with guitars and vocals - I've run open mic nights with 1 or 2 of these acting as PA and it always sounds impressively good. Definitely worth checking out.