Why become a member? ×

The All New RickenFaker Thread

Skybone

Yep - it should be fun (the official Ric name is Fireglo).

If that falls through and you are patient, you can get a Japanese Matsumoku for around £350.

The thru-neck Japanese ones tend to be maybe £100-150 more and some folks look for £600-700 for a Greco and the other top-end ones; however, that's getting too close to real Ric money for me.

One of the things I want to try is converting one to a single pickup, with a spare Seymour Duncan I've got. I've also got all the hardware for a '78 if one comes up.

one of the ideas I had a while ago was routing a standard cheapo Harley Benton Jazz or Precision type bass or similar to take the Seymour Duncan RB pickups, but then it's losing that good old rick styling.

I'll let you know how my quest goes. I have put in a bid on the Hondo and at current am the highest bidder :)

Am I allowed to do a NBD of a faker?

Hooky played a Hondo because he didn't have much money back then! The Hondos (made by Samick, in Korea, from sub-firewood grade ply) were pretty much bottom of the Faker foodchain in the 70s, apart from those horrible shortscale Kays, which don't count.

Decent MIJs come up quite regularly on the Faker FB group, if you're not already a member.

25 minutes ago, Harryburke14 said:

"You know how I'm your favourite child?..."

Current debate is Renegade vs Rockinbetter. Both are the same price but only one can win...

I'm not a fan of the Rockinbetters, but I've never played a Renegade (I did try another Retrovibe and it had a definite Chinese feel to it).

Given that choice, I'd probably hold out for a vntage Japanese one...

18 hours ago, Harryburke14 said:

"You know how I'm your favourite child?..."

Current debate is Renegade vs Rockinbetter. Both are the same price but only one can win...

I hear some good reviews of the Renegade's, though I have to say that I'm a big fan of the older, through neck Rockinbetter's (and the Bass Collection Californian). The current Rockinbetter badged basses are Chinabackers, though I have seen a few through neck versions.

10 hours ago, fleabag said:

Did you message him ? He's written that someone has informed him its a Shaftsbury.   He sort of half disputes that though.

Thought about it, decided there was no point. If he's done enough research to know an Ibanez 2388B exists, then he'll have seen enough pictures of them to know perfectly well his bass isn't one.

Copy and pasted my own text from the FB page. I won't name names.

"I have the option of buying either a Shaftesbury in very good nick or for half the price an Indie IRK in unknown condition.

Anyone with any advice of what to go for? I'm in a quandry as I am thinking the half price Indie gives me money to upgrade, but whether I can make it to the standard of the Shafty with that £200 is another question, especially as I don't know what condition the Indie is in."