Why become a member? ×

The All New RickenFaker Thread

Skybone

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1496790315' post='3313928']
How does the quality of current Chi-Fakers compare to the 70s/80s Japanese ones?
[/quote]

I think many of them seem to be decent enough quality but as far as accuracy's concerned, they're not that close. The MIJ instruments were often built to replica standard, with identical hardware, very closely copied pickups and the correct scale & neck dimensions - there's not a single modern copy that does any of this.

This is an interesting head-to-head between a Chicky & a real 4003 - the Chinabacker comes out surprisingly well:

[media]http://youtu.be/EiP_yqMtL_A[/media]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496838813' post='3314192']
So if mine is a 1970s Ibanez with a sort-of Toaster pickup and a through neck, does that make it a 2338?

And is a 2338b the same but with a bolt-on neck?
[/quote]

In Ibanez-speak, 2388 is the model number & sort-of defines the "range" - a plain 2388 is a guitar, copy of a Rick 480. Therefore, a 2388B is the bass "version", and yours, being a through-neck, is a 2388B/DX! Simple! :lol:

The 2388B changed quite a bit over its life, early ones having big Gibson-type pickups (presumably because there weren't any Hi-Gain & Toaster copies at the time) and full-width sparkly inlays like 60s/early 70s 4001s. Later ones had small inlays & replica pickups, and even had the 1" pickup gap like later 4001s, which I don't think any other MIJ copy did. All of them kept the checked binding though.

Have you posted any pics?

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1496856778' post='3314345']
I wonder which model the Ibanez I had in my teens was? It was through-neck and had the fake mudbucker, but the inlays were greyish and not sparkly.
[/quote]

Maybe some sort of transitional 2388B/DX - I've seen pics of examples with mix & match pickups, probably just using up stocks of parts.

Ta for the pic Bluejay - Jack's looks like a late-ish 2388B/DX - does it have a serial number on the headstock? Interesting that it doesn't seem to have the 1" pickup spacing I mentioned - not seen one like this before.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496869340' post='3314457']
s/n 1786932 and a gold Made In Japan sticker just beneath.
[/quote]

That'll be I (the letter) 786932. Meaning your bass was the 6932nd instrument produced at Fujigen Gakki in September 1978. Probably one of the last ones.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1496871758' post='3314482']
Or is that a capital "I"?

Ibanez serial numbers at the time are Month Letter then Year then 4 digit serial no., so that would make it September 1978, No. 6932.
[/quote]

Ha! :D

The Renegade's do get a good write up, and there's plenty of people who are happy with theirs on the FB Faker's page.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells guitar rewiring kits?

I'm considering creating a new "loom" for one of my Fakers, using Retrovibe pickups, and keeping the "loom" it came with so it can be retrofitted if ever they came to be moved on... Just an idea...

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1498630255' post='3325931']
Sweet. Knew the Faker bug would get you again! :D
[/quote]
I got it in a job-lot; I have to say that most of the fun for me is in doing them up, so I'm not sure how long I'll keep this one.
I've given it the once-over, replaced a couple of knobs, tweaked the rods and need to do a bit more setup and that's pretty much it done.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1500317978' post='3336915']
I believe it wer young Britney wot said " oops I did it again". :P

[/quote]

I'm not generally a fan of the Ricky shape, but that's a beauty.

Edited by Cato