Why become a member? ×

Earplug advice needed - specific requirements

T-Bay

I have used ACS custom earplugs for ages but am having problems with them at the moment. I am on medication for my arthritis which has the joyous side effect of the most horrendous motion sickness I have ever suffered (I can't be driven 400yds without feeling ill or watch any handheld camera footage).

When I use the earplugs I am also suffering the motion sickness after 5-10 minutes, presumably because they sit in the ear canal. I have tried my Peltor over ear ones and they don't affect me in any way so it must be down to the in ear canal design.

So what I want to know is if anyone knows of any earplugs that just sit in the outer part of the ear but don't protrude. The type that allow a normal conversation/ transmission of a reasonable representation of the sound would be preferred.

I could wear the peltors on stage as they are electronic but it would be a strange look and the alternative of not using anything doesn't appeal either.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1494695868' post='3297964']
Might be worth talking with ACS to see if they can come up with an alternative. They are based in Banbury and are very approachable. Not too long a drive from Tamworth.
[/quote]
I never thought of that, it's a good idea and worth a try.

I am sure ACS specifically do an earplug for motion sickness. Are those the ones you have?

Lapponia Ltd certainly do, albeit they are cheap, not custom fit and perhaps do not attenuate to the levels of normal plugs

Edited by Bobthedog

You should probably go back to your GP/consultant and get your medication changed - there's lots of different options for RA medication these days so if you're getting these severe side effects then get them to change the drug. If it's methotrexate then ask to be put on one of the biological alternatives, humira or enbrel etc.

If that isn't an option investigate vestibular rehabilitation therapy to retrain your inner ear ;)

I used to use Doc's Proplugs, which are relatively cheap, fit into the outer bits of your ear and don't go into your ear canal too far. Might be worth trying until you get a better custom made solution. I suffer from labyrinthitis myself, but never had any problem using these little critters.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it is methotrexate and I have been on it for about ten years now but the motion sickness used to be tolerable but has got progressively worse. I am reluctant to change to something else though as it has completely negated the effects of the arthritis (not RA but similar and a bit more aggressive). Strangely I don't suffer the usual side effects of severe nausea and sickness normally! I get scopolamine patches to use if I need to go anywhere e.g when we fly or have been on a cruise and they work perfectly BUT I can't use them every time I have a gig.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially about the acs travel sickness ones which I didn't know about.

If you're getting motion sickness all the rather than just the day/ morning after taking methotrexate then you should definitely get it checked out and look at options - that's really not a normal response.
MTX has been about for about 50 years now and while an effective immunosuppressant there are done far better options now. If you're dead set on MTX you should st least get your consultant to review the dose. All the best!

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1494829418' post='3298704']
If you're getting motion sickness all the rather than just the day/ morning after taking methotrexate then you should definitely get it checked out and look at options - that's really not a normal response.
MTX has been about for about 50 years now and while an effective immunosuppressant there are done far better options now. If you're dead set on MTX you should st least get your consultant to review the dose. All the best!
[/quote]
I only get the motion sickness if I get driven anywhere, fly/ boaty stuff, play computer games, watch quick moving handheld footage. Otherwise I am completely fine. I respond very well to the methotrexate and have been in probably 80-90% remission for a decade now hence the reluctance to risk a change. The ear thing is quite new though but I have recently got a new set of customs, maybe the old ones were a bit worn so a looser fit. Sadly the reason I got the new ones is that I managed to lose the old ones.

Edited by T-Bay