Why become a member? ×

Old Fivers - spend them or lose them!

Al Krow

...need to be spent by Friday night otherwise they become worthless.

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/04/check-pockets-last-chance-spend-old-fivers/"]http://www.telegraph...end-old-fivers/[/url]

How will you spend yours? :)

PS I should have posted this "off topic" but hopefully I will be forgiven just this once!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493900589' post='3291648']
You'll be able to take them to the bank for years.

Or does nobody use banks anymore? You know... big buildings... 'BANK' written on the outside... most high streets have them? Ring any bells?
[/quote]

Well apparently not quite. Normal banks this weekend only, thereafter can only exchange at the Bank of England according to the DT article...

[color=#4B4E5A]"...Commercial banks may still exchange them for a short time after. Withdrawn notes, no matter how old, can always be exchanged at the Bank of England via the post, or at the Bank itself at Threadneedle Street in London"[/color]

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1493897972' post='3291595']
...need to be spent by Friday night otherwise they become worthless.
[/quote]

Not true. The banks will still exchange them. This morning it was said that they would "always" accept paper fives.

Fake News

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493900589' post='3291648']
...Or does nobody use banks anymore? You know... big buildings... 'BANK' written on the outside... most high streets have them? Ring any bells?
[/quote]

Oh BOY!!! Do not get me started on that.

The last remaining branch of GnatPest I am expected to use has turned into an outlet like the mobile 'phone high street business model. It even has music blasting down from the ceiling! I now use the small business branch like a lot of others. It still behaves in the manner expected of a bank. In the queue yesterday, a woman at the window in front of me asked if the bank could reject non-business customers because the queue was a little too long for her. The cashier told her without rejecting her outright that that simply wasn't possible and that it was something that the bank is aware of.

I almost spoke out and said what was on my mind - "Get used to it Missus, this is just the start."