Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It's a bass I really will never sell. 

Time-clock noted at 10 36pm on 13-09-19

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Was really hoping that Yamaha would be at the guitar /bass show next weekend, but it doesn't look like they are.... Wondering if it's worth trekking across to the Yamaha store when I'm in town next Saturday to try the whole range out! 🤔

Looks like less than a half hour trip each way to the Yamaha store from the venue.... Can't stop looking at BB's, but can't decide which one would suit my needs best. Might well be worth doing! 

Does anyone know if they stock the whole range? 

8 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Looks like less than a half hour trip each way to the Yamaha store from the venue.... Can't stop looking at BB's, but can't decide which one would suit my needs best. Might well be worth doing! 

Does anyone know if they stock the whole range? 

Yeh - they've usually got the full 'mainstream' BB range on display up to and including the P34/5s.  May not have some of the more high end basses in stock (e.g. the NE2).

If you give the store a quick call they'll happily confirm what they currently have in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeh - they've usually got the full 'mainstream' BB range on display up to and including the P34/5s.  May not have some of the more high end basses in stock (e.g. the NE2).

If you give the store a quick call they'll happily confirm what they currently have in.

Mainly just hoping to try a 435, 735a, and P35 (I've seen a nice used examples of the last two for sale 😉

On 12/09/2019 at 21:24, razor5cl said:

Been playing nearly two years, decided I actually want to stick with this whole "bass playing" shtick and upgrade from my cheap Ibanez Talman and get something more serious that'll last me a while. Tried one of these Yamahas in a shop and fell in love with it.

I was originally dead set on a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass but I tried one in the shop and while it felt nice to play it didn't sound that good. I also tried a Nate Mendel Signature P Bass which sounded a little better but the neck finish didn't agree with me and it wasn't very versatile - after all it's a P Bass!

I tried the Yamaha as a last ditch option and I was blown away by how good it was. Just felt right in my hands, played like a dream, neck was super comfortable, and by far and away the electronics just sounded superb. Lots of tonal options with the active stuff but it'll run just fine in passive mode with volume/balance/tone controls. 

I set out to find one used, Wunjo had a used brown one for £585 but I needed a black one. Upon inquiring here @krispn contacted me saying he was willing to sell his and two weeks later after much toing and froing it's finally here!

Currently got the stock 45-105 D'Addarios on it but next up is a fresh set of 50-110 Rotosound Stainless Steels and a setup from The Bass Gallery next week.

IMG_20190912_102811.jpg

@razor5cl - you mentioned you'd tried a 735A at a store, was that the main Yammy store in central London? I'm guessing you're still loving it compared to your Ibby Talman, although I have to 'fess to being a big Ibby fan, particularly of their SR Premium range.

@TRBboy - the only caveat about the Yammy store is that they just have a couple of pretty basic combos to play through and there is the whole noise and buzz of other folk in a music store. So IMO it will give you just a taster of tonal palette, but you if you take your usual strap you can at least assess how they feel to wear and how comfortable the necks are to play etc. My BB 1025 is very noticeably better than it sounded in the store, so whatever you're hearing in the store you should treat as a kind a base case!

• Like 1

I tried a 734A at a store, not the 5 stringer, but that was at Wunjos in Denmark Street. There are lots of places along there as well as the main Yamaha store where you might have some luck finding a 735A to try.

I am indeed loving it compared to the Ibanez, the Talman is a great one to play but the Yamaha just feels so much smoother and more comfortable to play. I'm actually going to take the 734A to The Bass Gallery today for a setup and a fresh set of strings and it should be good to go then!

• Like 2

Wunjos is a fantastic little bass store - probably my favourite in Central London.  Tom the manager there is a great guy, and his team mostly also called Tom(!)  are pretty decent too!

• Like 1

Re: the Yamaha store, yes the staff will typically plug you into one of the small Hartke combos but there are also a couple of much heftier Ampeg rigs on the opposite side of the showroom which they’ll happily plug you into if you ask! The first time I tried a 735a was through their Ampeg 410 stack and it was a glorious experience even at the low volume I was playing at.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

Think I might just be going to the show actually, just checked and its gonna be nearly 4hrs each way for me on Saturday..... 😬

Hi everyone!

I want to share with you (and others who might be interested in these new BB's) my feelings after 2 months with my 734a.

The bass sounds very, very good. I'm not a super expert, but in passive mode sounds a little different from the active mode, which for me is a great thing 'cause this allow to have a lot of "different" sounds that should cover pretty much everything (circa). 

Very nice P tone but the j pickup soloed is very accurate, compared to a jazz bass (IMHO). I use with a Fender Rumble 40 and the two work very nice together.

The most important that i've noticed is the neck: I LOVE IT, it's fantastic! Beautiful and smooth, not crazy fast, just RIGHT. 

The only cons that i have found it's maybe that is not perfectly balanced, but it could be because of my strap.

• Like 3

i might be willing to sell off my bb435 in great condition with the view to go to a p35 as my bass for all time, not been on for a while but skim reading through theres quite a few looking for a potential 435. 

It is a lovely bass which is why i'd happily settle with a p35 for the 'long term' (until i see something else as always)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corto14 said:

Hi everyone!

I want to share with you (and others who might be interested in these new BB's) my feelings after 2 months with my 734a.

The bass sounds very, very good. I'm not a super expert, but in passive mode sounds a little different from the active mode, which for me is a great thing 'cause this allow to have a lot of "different" sounds that should cover pretty much everything (circa). 

Very nice P tone but the j pickup soloed is very accurate, compared to a jazz bass (IMHO). I use with a Fender Rumble 40 and the two work very nice together.

The most important that i've noticed is the neck: I LOVE IT, it's fantastic! Beautiful and smooth, not crazy fast, just RIGHT. 

The only cons that i have found it's maybe that is not perfectly balanced, but it could be because of my strap.

The only Con I have is, I wish they had put the jack socket at the front like the Fender P lol, small gripe for what is a great bass.

1 hour ago, whamni said:

The only Con I have is, I wish they had put the jack socket at the front like the Fender P lol, small gripe for what is a great bass.

Haha - that's definitely going to split bass-land right down the middle! I think there are as many folk who prefer the jack placement on the side as they do on the top / front! :)

Front for me as well, although I don’t really care either way when playing. Its more about when putting the bass on a floor stand, don’t want to go and knock my transmitter off. 

• Like 1