Why become a member? ×

Another cab build.....HELP ME PLEASE

The Shrek

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1487241256' post='3238256']
Aargh, car analogies! But if you could make the Rover work significantly better with about 20 minutes work using tools and parts you already had at hand, you'd do it, right?
[/quote]Of course when Rover put that V8 into the 3500 you had a serious motor. Maybe not a Ferrari but the it did not bend servicing every 500 mile like Ferrari did in those days B)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1487244539' post='3238291']
Just make sure you use a proven design or get some advice before you cut the wood. This thread - and I think the OP will agree - is a good example of how not to DIY.
[/quote]I know Stevie and Phil Starr are both a little coy, but if you saw how much work has gone into the Original 1x12 and the new 1x12 threads on here it is clear that the best performance is designed in not stumbled upon by chance. If you read Stevie's write up you will learn enough to at least make a considered opinion about your next build/purchase.

The new thread is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/299546-12-cab-diary-continued/"]HERE[/url].

Edited by Chienmortbb

I am just making the best of a bad job and I think everyone knows that . I know what Bill is saying about the box not utilising the full potential of the speakers. If you heard my playing you might be glad about that. :D
We all learn by our mistakes and until I get the funds for a rebuild, then hopefully this cab isn't so bad that I can't use it . The positive here out of this mess, is the experience I have gained on "how not to build a cab" ....... lol :rolleyes:

Surprised by how this thread is turning out. I know the OP asked for help, and advice has been given, but there's not much real encouragement going on here..which is not what I've come to expect from BC.

I know some folks take this stuff VERY seriously, and thank goodness for the knowledge!, but come on guys, surely there's no harm in the OP finishing the cab off and seeing how it sounds? What's the worst that could happen? He'll definitely achieve the result of getting full whack out of his amp and who knows? He might really like how the cab sounds, other people might like it, other people might ask him to build them one, he might start his own business.....

I for one commend Shrek on having a go, Well done matey!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487262717' post='3238484']
Surprised by how this thread is turning out. I know the OP asked for help, and advice has been given, but there's not much real encouragement going on here..which is not what I've come to expect from BC.
[/quote]

I'd agree, but when the first response is from someone with a reputation for knowing his stuff and is quite so relentlessly and unnecessarily negative (and also arguably wrong), it's hard to turn the thread around without things getting argumentative. I'm not sure anyone really has the energy or inclination for that, though I realise I've probably just gone there with this post...

[quote]I know some folks take this stuff VERY seriously, and thank goodness for the knowledge!, but come on guys, surely there's no harm in the OP finishing the cab off and seeing how it sounds? What's the worst that could happen? He'll definitely achieve the result of getting full whack out of his amp and who knows? He might really like how the cab sounds, other people might like it, other people might ask him to build them one, he might start his own business.....

I for one commend Shrek on having a go, Well done matey![/quote]

Presuming Shrek goes ahead and ports his cab, installs his drivers and tries it out, it's not going to be game-changingly amazing, but it won't be unusably awful either. At this point, with the cab sat there and the drivers at hand, there's no reason not to give it a go.

Building a bass cab is a lot like modifying a car. You lower the springs, you install tinted windows, maybe a beefed-up sound system. Then you drive it to the Sainsbury's car park on a Friday night and meet up with other guys and look at each other's cars. Then a bit of a fight breaks out, and as you hear the wail of sirens on the horizon, you jump into the car and drive off, but you prang it on a traffic light, so you're a bit embarrassed about that, and the most awkward thing of all is that it's actually your mum's car and she needs it for work in the morning, so you sit there looking at your phone trying to pluck up the courage to call home to get someone to come out and rescue you.

Maybe the analogy doesn't really hold.

S.P.

Guys guys guys, everyone take a chill pill. Admittedly I got the stuffing knocked out of me with the first few posts but it isn't worth fighting over. I have since got my mojo back and with the good encouragement I recieved here, the cabinet will make it to the finish line (is that a car analogy?)

I really enjoyed the build process so far and I would certainly do it again. Even if it isn't up to the top standard I am going to stand proud and say that I built it.

(if it sounds really bad I will say I bought the plans online) :D

If it sounds bad, you can always do a bit of reverse engineering & get drivers to suit the cab dimensions & then build another 2x10 cab that suits the spec of your eminence drivers.
Then sell one of the cabs at a good price to cover the cost of both builds. :D

Go for it. Many commercial cabs break many of the rules and are revered. I am sure your cab will be more than useable and what have you lost. You can also come on here and say I told you so

Your expectations are low and you might have a very pleasant surprise. So build it and tell us what YOU think.

Hey, my barefaced cabs are mathematically perfect. Good dispersion, designed to work well together etc etc etc. I do however, love Ampeg fridges and Hartke 4x10", two of the worst-designed cabs ever.

This cab won't be good as in 'efficient, ideal power handling, getting the most out of the drivers' good. But it might very well be good as in 'sounds great that!'.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1487503493' post='3240211']
Jack every cabinet from Behringer to Bergantino and Barefaced are compromises. There is no such thing as a mathematically perfect cabinet but some are better than others and some suit some people more than others.
[/quote]

Oh of course, I appreciate that fact and I know it was a sweeping generalisation. The point is though, there are a new breed of cabs that have been designed to cut through the marketing bull (admittedly just with different marketing bull!) that as far as I know started with Bill and has continued with the likes of Fearful. Cabs that were designed by engineers, if you will, rather than marketers. My point was that these newer, better-engineered (though ok, not perfect) cabs haven't exactly replaced GK, Markbass and Ashdown.

So there's room for both.

• 3 weeks later...

My cabinet is finished and I am proud to say it sounds great. Nice and fat and loads of punch and very loud. Unfortunately I had to get my brother to help me to the finish line as I had a groin hernia op 2 weeks ago. Probably caused by lugging 2 Eden xlt 2 x10 cabs around for years. Thanks for all the help guys.

Michael.

[quote name='The Shrek' timestamp='1489382382' post='3256441']
My cabinet is finished and I am proud to say it sounds great. Nice and fat and loads of punch and very loud. Unfortunately I had to get my brother to help me to the finish line as I had a groin hernia op 2 weeks ago. Probably caused by lugging 2 Eden xlt 2 x10 cabs around for years. Thanks for all the help guys.

Michael.
[/quote]Really pleased for you, let's hear a full review sometime. Well done.

Here we go chaps, the grille is missing cause I have just painted it. I wanted this cab to add a bit of bottom end to the little Ashdown 1x 12. I aslo wanted something to fit into the car and at the same time to match the width of the top cab. It works great and is tighter and punchier than the more bulky 1X15 Ashdown cab I normally use.

[quote name='The Shrek' timestamp='1489382382' post='3256441']

Michael.
[/quote]

nice one, rules are there to be bent sometimes, good to hear its worked out

• 2 weeks later...

Went to my friends house for a jamming session. Took only the 2 x10 cab. He has a large converted garage and my sound was surprisingly good. We were not playing loudly, no drummer present, and all the guys thought the bass sounded good (maybe they were being kind).

The little Ashdown doesn't sound really good on its own, but it adds the needed top end to the new build 2 x10. Overall I am quite pleased. Thanks for all the help guys.

Michael