Why become a member? ×

E bay...where have all the bargains gone?

theplumber

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1487245780' post='3238308']
If they're going to take a commission of £85, a £1 listing fee is neither here nor there.
[/quote]I may be wrong but I think there's a £75 limit on a selling price, but then on course there's paypal, that would take it up to £100 on a £850 sale, but, here's the rub, you are reaching a far bigger market so you're likely to get a better price, as BigRedX said it's a lot better than the old days when you used the local classified ads in the paper or the local music shop

A top eBay tip (which I think I read on here) is to filter your searches by newly listed. That way, if anything has a low Buy It Now price you'll see it first. I did that when I was looking for a Matt Freeman, and got it for £195 BIN within an hour or it having been put on the site.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1487271994' post='3238570']
A top eBay tip (which I think I read on here) is to filter your searches by newly listed. That way, if anything has a low Buy It Now price you'll see it first. I did that when I was looking for a Matt Freeman, and got it for £195 BIN within an hour or it having been put on the site.
[/quote] somebody got a Fender Rumble 500 head for £180 it had gone in about an hour, before Ebay had emailed me to say it was up for sale, of course it does mean you're constantly checking, could get very compulsive

As a seller I love Ebay. I always get more £ than I expect, hassle free (providing you follow the rules). Things sell quickly, and you don't get the tire kickers and timewasters like you do on Gumtree. Happy to pay 10% for that.

My strategy is to always buy low and sell at a reasonable (not high) cost. Can't go wrong.

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1487608240' post='3241171']
If the ebay fees wasn't bad enough paypal take a cut as well.Who owns paypal ?????? EBAY
[/quote]

Technically not, they used to but it was spun of into its own company in 2015.

Paypal prices are not so bad compared to credit card charges. So if you were selling with credit cards you would have the same sort of fees, but as most people who are not companies don't notice that, they think paypal is bad.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1487610929' post='3241202']
Technically not, they used to but it was spun of into its own company in 2015.

Paypal prices are not so bad compared to credit card charges. So if you were selling with credit cards you would have the same sort of fees, but as most people who are not companies don't notice that, they think paypal is bad.
[/quote]there is some truth in that, although paypal fees are a bit high, if you try and pay for a holiday on credit card they charge you 4 or 5%