Why become a member? ×

Active Cab??

mr.sibs

There's good ol' BK Electronics...

[url="http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm"]http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm[/url]

However they only do one Class D module and it's rated at 600w RMS. They also do a wider range of MOSFET power amp modules but they aren't offered with a back panel. However it's always worth giving them a call and seeing if they can rig something up for you?

Really? I had one of their sub woofer modules and they sent me the user manual via email within days of contacting them. :) I hope they're not in any trouble. If they are, I'll be stock piling one of their rack mounted Class D power amps and maybe a couple of their Class D amp modules...

after almost a month wait i started ringing them. usually to answer phone though i have got through on occasions.

every time, i've talked to the secretary and said i ordered a 600w amp module and get 'oh yeah! i think i remember you ordering!' (every time). tell her that it's been a very long time and i've heard nothing. first time i rang she said she'd get right on finding out whats happening with it and will ring me back later that day. nothing. next time i get through she says she thinks she remembers hearing something about trouble sourcing parts. but will check and get back to me the next day. nothing. third time i get through (last week) i was quite irrate, i remind of the many messages i've left and the empty promises to keep me up to date and ask to speak to someone else. get told that everyones out but they will call me as soon as they can. nothing.

outside of the 3 times i've got through, i've left at least 2 messages a week. i have not recieve a single call from them, and the only clue i have as to whats going on is the one phonecall where the secretary THINKS she remembers SOMETHING about parts. but not confirmed. needless to say i'm not happy.

if it wasn't for the fact that this is the only place i can find the right product, with the right specs, at the right price i would have taken my money back long ago..

Edited by wotnwhy

I suspect its still going to be a lot more than 200w though :)

Tom: Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope they get their acts together. Funnily enough, my amp tech is still waiting for a few bits and pieces he's had on order for a few months now. I wonder if there's selected shortages in parts...?

just got off the phone to bkelec.

was told that the supplier for the parts of that unit have gone out of buisness and that BK wont be making the module anymore.

with re. to the poor customer service she answered everything (failed promises, not returning messages etc) with 'wel all i can do is apologize' in what can only be described as the most non-apologetic maners ever...

p!ssed off is an understatement. as not only have i waited nearly 2 months for nothing. my plans now seem to have gone out the window as i can't find anyone who offers a similar product :)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='311182' date='Oct 21 2008, 11:37 AM']p!ssed off is an understatement. as not only have i waited nearly 2 months for nothing. my plans now seem to have gone out the window as i can't find anyone who offers a similar product :)[/quote]

This company is a world leader in the field of Class D amps: [url="https://www.hypexshop.com/"]https://www.hypexshop.com/[/url] - and they actually design and make the gear themselves.

What's more, they cater to the DIY community (hurrah!). The tests I've read on Hypex plate amps have all been extremely positive.

I just bought a Euphonic Audio iAmp 350 Combo from these forums. It's an ultra-clean amp that does not colour your sound, but has a flexible EQ and DI/headphone outputs etc. plus the head is removeable. 10" driver, but massive sound. I use it with a VT Bass pedal to produce a mini Ampeg like rig that I can also run synths and guitars into because of it's full range flat response. Just another idea for you if you hadn't considered it!

[quote name='stevie' post='311198' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:00 PM']This company is a world leader in the field of Class D amps: [url="https://www.hypexshop.com/"]https://www.hypexshop.com/[/url] - and they actually design and make the gear themselves.

What's more, they cater to the DIY community (hurrah!). The tests I've read on Hypex plate amps have all been extremely positive.[/quote]

yes, i'm fully aware of this :) it's precisely why i ordered one :huh:

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='312419' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:33 PM']yes, i'm fully aware of this :) it's precisely why i ordered one :huh:[/quote]

Hi Tom,

Will you be doing a "build diary" type of thing when you get your Hypex module?
If not, could you drop me a mail on your first impressions of the module as I am thinking of doing a similar thing with the Schroeder, when I get it :huh:

Sorry to hear about your experience with BK electronics, I was also looking at their D-class module with a thought to building an active bass cab, but I thought "Hmmm, 600 watts is a bit too much and so is the price!" I have used (and still use) one of their 300W FET amps for monitoring and found it to be excellent.

Lets hope that Hypex fill the gap for us DIY guys.

Thanks to Stevie for the link.

Steve

ok, embarresed admition coming up :blush:

i only skim read that post and assumed he was talking about BK... whoops! :)

anyway, i've e-mailed them now to see if they can help. considering other options as well. when things are sorted there will be a thread to share.

and finally.
"600 watts is a bit too much and so is the price!"
i thought the exact oposite, 'i suppose 600w will do, especially at that price!' :huh:

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='313207' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:54 PM']ok, embarresed admition coming up :blush:

i only skim read that post and assumed he was talking about BK... whoops! :)

anyway, i've e-mailed them now to see if they can help. considering other options as well. when things are sorted there will be a thread to share.

and finally.
"600 watts is a bit too much and so is the price!"
i thought the exact oposite, 'i suppose 600w will do, especially at that price!' :huh:[/quote]

so- who is the company that f***ed you about? Hypex? I was going to buy some of their stuff...

[quote name='bremen' post='313256' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:57 PM']so- who is the company that f***ed you about? Hypex? I was going to buy some of their stuff...[/quote]

no, i placed an order with BK Electronics. and in my stupidity, assumed that Stevie was talking about them.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='313261' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:00 PM']no, i placed an order with BK Electronics. and in my stupidity, assumed that Stevie was talking about them.[/quote]

No stupidity - BK is what was being discussed, Stevie didn't mention Hypex (about whom I've heard only good) til after you mentioned your bad experiences with BK.

Just remembered 'Powersoft'... seems I have just answered my own question! The DigiMod modules are available in high power outputs. I remember how good my Powersoft D2004 was.. so it's a possibility for a future project!

any other alternatives would be happily received too ;o)

[quote name='bremen' post='313274' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:14 PM']No stupidity - BK is what was being discussed, Stevie didn't mention Hypex (about whom I've heard only good) til after you mentioned your bad experiences with BK.[/quote]

To avoid any confusion, I was responding to this remark: "my plans now seem to have gone out the window as i can't find anyone who offers a similar product" by posting information on a company that offers a similar product.

Edited by stevie