Why become a member? ×

Peavey G bass

ProfJames

This must be a mistake................. [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-G-BASS-1990s-VG-condition-w-Hard-Case-EMS-Shipping-Tracking-Number-/252713424176?hash=item3ad6e4d530:g:DtsAAOSwnHZYcHWc[/url]

Edited by Rich
weblink added

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1485717003' post='3226080']
This must be a mistake................. [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-G-BASS-1990s-VG-condition-w-Hard-Case-EMS-Shipping-Tracking-Number-/252713424176?hash=item3ad6e4d530:g:DtsAAOSwnHZYcHWc[/url]
[/quote]

I'd say very ambitious if it's not a mistake. Not because the bass isn't worth a lot, but I don't think they were silly expensive new.

£2000, no. A grand? I'd pay a grand for one new.

Cirrus are top basses. There's discontinued USA 35" scales, Korean 35" scales and 34" Indonesian/Chinese. A re-release from Indonesia is
just out,exact copies of the USA models but with some plate in the headstock for sustain ?

Super duper Brian Bromberg B-Quads with 100% carbon necks,stereo output and added piezos.

Tim Landers sig TL 5 & 6 strings models.

Active Axcelerator 4,5 & 6 strings are nice basses.

Sarzo sig is a great bass to play.

Jeff Berlin Palaedium model is good.

Active Forum going for the MM tone.

Decent P & Jazz type basses named Furys and Foundations. There's an active Foundation model named the Dyna Bass.

P/J types there's B-90s,Foundation-S ,Unity series and Zodiacs. The Ellefson fella from Megadeath did a sig Zodiac called the DE Scorpio.

Millennium series get a good write up too. USA and Far East models.Loved my Far East Millenniums so was interested to see how they compared
against the much lauded USA version,if you can live without 35" scale and variable mids get the Far east BXP AC version and save yourself a fortune :-)

Grinds again come in USA and Eastern versions. Disappointed in the USA bolt on active Grind,will get cremated with my neck thru Vietnamese passive
Grind. Lovely bass. There's also European market versions called Zephyrs.

Along with the Patriot almost all of these are discontinued :-(

Recently got 2 of the Chinese PXD basses, Very metal shapes but damn fine basses, same electrics as the Cirrus and a joy to play.

You know about the T-40 and I've no had my tea so that'll do for now :lol:

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1485819374' post='3227043']
Shhhhhh! Keep the prices down ;)
My main gigging bass for the last 9 years or so has been a MIllenium AC BXP. I also have an International series that I got from ebay for about £60.
[/quote]

May the Sisters of Mercy help us all to keep the prices down...............

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Ellefson fella from Megadeath did a sig Zodiac called the DE Scorpio[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How good are they and what sort of value i.e. mint condition...........[/font][/color]

They're pretty nice basses. Like all Peaveys no matter the price range the neck is first class and again like all Peaveys they don't sell
for much. I was £150 for my last DE. First one I followed Chrismuzz's advice and put Entwistle Neos in,turned out the neos were way
to high output for the Roto Nexus it was strung with so it now sports La B flats.The stock one with the SD Basslines has much lower
output so the Nexus aren't too harsh,they're a very bright zingy string.

Shame you're other end of the country so there's one of nearly every Peavey model as I type :)

The US-made models are great, including the G Bass range - basically a Modulus for thrifty people, and every bit as good if you ignore the name on the headstock. Never liked the Far East-made ones though, they sounded OK but used much lower quality wood and didn't feel nearly as well made as the US ones. It's a shame they don't make any in the US any more.

I guess it's the way of the world, but I remember reading an interview years ago with Hartley Peavey and he made a big deal about making everything in their range in the US and being proud that they didn't outsource anything. Times have obviously changed.

The trouble Peavey faced was they priced too low from the start. T 40s sold for $229 when Fenders were $499. Furys and Foundations were the
same. That got the brand locked into the bottom end of the market and when the spec and prices started rising folks baulked at the increase.

"how can a Peavey cost $500 ? " G bass was $799

There's a line in the Peavey Guitar book where Hartley says folks want made in America guitars and he says " Sure. I got one here."
the reply is " But the import's cheaper !"

That's the way of the world.

One thing Peavey did when they moved to the Far East was place their own people there too,Mike Powers(with Peavey from early 80's) was in charge for years before his death in 2013. Mike was involved with most of the basses from Foundation to Cirrus,including G bass and Grinds.

BTW the neck on the G bass is not a Modulus. For Peavey with a Modulus neck you want a B-Quad.
[attachment=237262:B Quad (2).jpg]

Yeah you will read it has a Modulus neck or described as "poor man's Modulus",mainly because the B-Quad had a Modulus and the G has carbon neck.
Thing is by 1997 Modulus had been trading for 19 year and was a well known brand.With any outsourced parts Peavey would use that in the ads and specs.
They did it with the Modulus neck B-Quad and when they used Seymour Duncan pickups.Schaller, Wilkinson.ABM & 2-Tek bridges all get name checked in the manuals too.

Some folks say it was a Moses but they used a different construction method. Peavey said they used an aerospace firm for the necks,they did employ an ex employee of Modulus though

When the G-Bass was released the Ad-line said " Under 8lb.Under $800". Modulus necks at the time cost over $600.

Funny how folk never mention the Cirrus preamp lurking below the cavity cover :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1485717003' post='3226080']
[/quote]

Japanese guitar sellers always ask ludicrous prices for stuff on Ebay, this is nothing unusual.

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1485706673' post='3225971']
Recently picked up a mint G bass and I am astounded with the sound, tone, etc. £200 is just incredible value. Do I need to do anything special to maintain the carbon neck?
[/quote]

I know Zon recommend cleaning/maintaining the fingerboard with WD40 but I don't know if that is suitable for all carbon fibre bass necks.