Why become a member? ×

Crowd pleasers - the perfect set list from a punters point of view

T-Bay

The odd one that seems to have doggedly followed me round from band to band over the last 15 years at least is Rockin In The Free World. I don't think it was ever much of a commercial hit anywhere but I guess the fact it's mostly piss easy is why it gets on a lot of set lists of guys of a certain age.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1500977860' post='3341396']
The odd one that seems to have doggedly followed me round from band to band over the last 15 years at least is Rockin In The Free World.
[/quote]

Having played it once, that would go in the 'big argument' category if someone wanted to put it in our set list!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1500819916' post='3340355']
TLDR, but what I feel is way more important than your set of songs, (after all you probably have over 40 corkers to choose from) is the ability to read your audience. Know the demographic and the reason why they are there, then pick songs appropriately. A really obvious example: You want to keep them on the dance floor? Know what songs will kill their groove. - I mean, I am assuming that we are talking about a covers / function band here!
[/quote]

This, + a lot. The band leader for a good covers band (if they have a variety of material to work from) should work like a very good DJ, and the setlist should be able to be called on the fly if it's one of those nights. We had a thirty-ish song setlist for last Saturday, and ended up doing almost half of it from the 'backlist' as some stuff was going down massively better than others. We routinely shorten songs (one we only did one chorus... :unsure: :) ) that aren't working on the night and move on...

Edited by Muzz

My pub covers band mainly play in an established Irish bar and we have a great set which focuses on that style of music but we like to mix it up a bit too so it's not all paddywhack! We cover the Pogues etc.. but also do Dropkick Murphys versions of Irish tunes like Black Velevet Band, some Johnny Cash etc etc. It's great fun as we get lots of locals and tourists who really want to hear this music. We do play the more 'rock' versions rather than the classic Dubliners etc all style but we do mix things up. As we have a great female singer in the band we can mix in some classics like Proud Mary, our versions of Umbrella and Wake Me Up etc.

Judging by the look on their faces these also go down well with punters and are often not expected...
Baba O Riley
Jump Around
Groove is in the Heart
Shipping up to Boston
Sweet Dreams/7 Nation Army - we rip off the Skameleon version which mixes these two tracks in a wonderful ska version of sweet dreams with the riff of 7 NA kicking in. I should add we are a 4 piece guitar/vox, fiddle/vox, bass and drums. Not a horn section in sight!

Sweet Dreams/7 Nation Army link below in case you fancy giving it a go!

https://youtu.be/EI465DVsKDw

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1501226410' post='3343373']
My pub covers band mainly play in an established Irish bar and we have a great set which focuses on that style of music but we like to mix it up a bit too so it's not all paddywhack! We cover the Pogues etc.. but also do Dropkick Murphys versions of Irish tunes like Black Velevet Band, some Johnny Cash etc etc. It's great fun as we get lots of locals and tourists who really want to hear this music. We do play the more 'rock' versions rather than the classic Dubliners etc all style but we do mix things up. As we have a great female singer in the band we can mix in some classics like Proud Mary, our versions of Umbrella and Wake Me Up etc.

Judging by the look on their faces these also go down well with punters and are often not expected...
Baba O Riley
Jump Around
Groove is in the Heart
Shipping up to Boston
Sweet Dreams/7 Nation Army - we rip off the Skameleon version which mixes these two tracks in a wonderful ska version of sweet dreams with the riff of 7 NA kicking in. I should add we are a 4 piece guitar/vox, fiddle/vox, bass and drums. Not a horn section in sight!

Sweet Dreams/7 Nation Army link below in case you fancy giving it a go!

[url="https://youtu.be/EI465DVsKDw"]https://youtu.be/EI465DVsKDw[/url]
[/quote]

Not usually my kind of music but that SKA dance routine by the brass section made the song for me. A band having fun and being good at what they do.
Well done guys, i enjoyed that VID, :lol:

Dave