Why become a member? ×

Wem bass

bottomfeed

I don't know much about these, but can tell you Wem was "Watkins Electric Music" (I have a little Wem guitar amp from the 70s) and is the same Watkins that built some fairly well-known basses & guitars in the 60s & 70s.

There's a website about these instruments here:

[url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm[/url]

And scroll down the page & there's your student's bass, in white! Looks like they would possibly be interested in hearing about this one, since they don't seem to know much about it.

Jon.

If you look on the guitar page you'll find an Emerald 12 string - they note that they don't know if 6 strings or basses were ever produced. Looks like you'll be able to clue them in. :)

It might well be worth a few bob to collector.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='31795' date='Jul 14 2007, 03:50 PM']There's a website about these instruments here:

[url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm[/url]

And scroll down the page & there's your student's bass, in white! Looks like they would possibly be interested in hearing about this one, since they don't seem to know much about it.

Jon.[/quote]

That Wilson SAB is quite the stunner.

Now this might be all wrong but...

In the late 70s one of the guitarists I played with had a WEM/Watkins/Wilson? guitar...I think it was called a Rapier. He bought it in kit form from WEM in Chertsey, Surrey, and assembled it himself. I'd always thought that that was from where Watkins operated from, they always had loads of WEM stuff there and you could buy spares, valves, speaker grills, cloth etc. from there. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny whether they operated out of Chertsey...it would be nice to know a little more.

Coincidentally, several of the older guys in our musical circle back then had WEM amps as well; I used to borrow a Dominator model from one of them and he used to have a really nice white Watkins bass (a solid body, in a Les Paul style*).

Cheers
P
x

EDIT
*There's one of these on the Basses link from higher up this thread. It was a Wilson Type-W.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='31871' date='Jul 14 2007, 06:43 PM']Now this might be all wrong but...

In the late 70s one of the guitarists I played with had a WEM/Watkins/Wilson? guitar...I think it was called a Rapier. He bought it in kit form from WEM in Chertsey, Surrey, and assembled it himself. I'd always thought that that was from where Watkins operated from, they always had loads of WEM stuff there and you could buy spares, valves, speaker grills, cloth etc. from there. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny whether they operated out of Chertsey...it would be nice to know a little more.

Coincidentally, several of the older guys in our musical circle back then had WEM amps as well; I used to borrow a Dominator model ffrom one of them and he used to have a really nice white Watkins bass (a solid body, in a Les Paul style).

Cheers
P
x[/quote]

Just followed the link from above and read through the history...Caxton House in Chertsey. That was the place! My dad used to get his fishing bait just over the road from there, that's the only reason I knoew about the place. Fantastic!
P

If you want to know more about WEM / Watkins amps, the best place on the web is

[url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins.html"]http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins.html[/url]

That web-site is seriously good on a range of stuff, especially Hofners.

The Watkins Rapier is a fairly well-known 60's guitar, widely used as a first 'serious' guitar by quite a few of our parents / grandparents. The WEM basses never really took off, and were always extremely rare.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='31921' date='Jul 14 2007, 10:05 PM']The Watkins Rapier is a fairly well-known 60's guitar, widely used as a first 'serious' guitar by quite a few of our [b]parents / grandparents[/b].[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

........ and us and our contemporaries. You forget there is no upper age limit on BT.

Lead guitarist in my 1963-67 band had a Rapier and played it through a VOX AC50 amp and T60 cabinet. Great sound.

I recently acquired a WEM 2 x15 cab from a fellow BTer. Nice bit of history.

Edited by obbm

Guest Bald Eagle

I've got one no bull, it's in a bad way was given to me with a p bass, it's been hand painted blue it's in the loft and it's well crusty, is it worth a mint then :)

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='31943' date='Jul 14 2007, 11:41 PM']I've got one no bull, it's in a bad way was given to me with a p bass, it's been hand painted blue it's in the loft and it's well crusty, is it worth a mint then :)[/quote]

Seriously? :huh:

It's like buses - none turn up for ages, then a couple turn up at once!

Got a picture?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='31871' date='Jul 14 2007, 06:43 PM']In the late 70s one of the guitarists I played with had a WEM/Watkins/Wilson? guitar...I think it was called a Rapier.[/quote]

He he, I started out with a Wilson Rapier bass. Medium scale with a really fast thin neck, but with a tendency to neck dive that would see it at the earth's core in seconds.

The expression was due to the guitarist. Not that he'd done anything wrong. He was just a guitarist. The bass was originally 'Flame Orange'. Kind of Barbie Pink, but orange if that makes sense. The stepladder was used for a series of death-defying acrobatic stunts including a washboard and harnessed dog team.

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='Musky' post='31984' date='Jul 15 2007, 07:39 AM']Seriously? :)

It's like buses - none turn up for ages, then a couple turn up at once!

Got a picture?[/quote]

Even Spookier it's the one in shergolds picture, except like I said it's been handpainted blue and is well crusty, I will get it down and get some pic's if would like some, might as well get some of the P whilst i'm at it.

And quite right SG the neck is really thin.

Edited by Bald Eagle

hmmmm...... interesting!...... thanx 4 the links etc..
The owner picked it up real cheap at a boot sale, I think...... but it plays like an absolute pig! (....& unfortunately sounds sh*te too!!)
may be worth some TLC & a set up....

had seen the WEM site & that white bass is the same but the headstock is different.... not like the Rapier style melted fender boomerang thingy!.... maybe it's a hybrid?

on the subject of WEM, just done an afternoon outdoor gig (in the rain :) !) & the guitarist in t'other band "the Bloody Marys"
had a WEM copycat!..... now there's a nice bit of kit!

ShergoldSnickers, is that an H/H bass combo I spy to the right of your acrobatic ladder?

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='32105' date='Jul 15 2007, 04:56 PM']Even Spookier it's the one in shergolds picture, except like I said it's been handpainted blue and is well crusty, I will get it down and get some pic's if would like some, might as well get some of the P whilst i'm at it.

And quite right SG the neck is really thin.[/quote]

Ooooh, now then.... If the frets have been removed and replaced by strips of white plastic card, then it could be the one in the photo, sporting yet another paint job. :) I'm sure you'd have mentioned if it was fretless though. Long shot really. If it is that one, watch out for the crack in the body wood where the neck joins. :huh:

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='32111' date='Jul 15 2007, 05:27 PM']ShergoldSnickers, is that an H/H bass combo I spy to the right of your acrobatic ladder?[/quote]

Yes. The ladder sounded better too. Seriously, the bass combos were never as good as the guitar ones, and it taught me to listen properly before buying anything else, although the cool look for the time did mitigate this slightly. They tended to complain rather fartily if driven too much, and the 'Valve Sound' was just awful with a bass. That combo had a 100W amp driving a 15" unit, and was horn loaded after a fashion.

There's a fretted Shergold Marathon propped up against the combo - no stand! :) I later swapped this for a fretless one. The fretless is still my only bass. We just mesh.

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='32111' date='Jul 15 2007, 05:27 PM']ShergoldSnickers, is that an H/H bass combo I spy to the right of your acrobatic ladder?[/quote]
So it is! Looks like a H/H VS combo, same as my first proper amp. Had mine in 1982, I think, and it was probably 5 or 6 years old when I got it. VS stood for "Valve Sound" - in other words, a switchable buzzy distortion effect, which I never used. I loved the way the front panel glowed green when the power was on. :)

I think Bottomfeed's student's bass probably has a neck from something else. The bridge looks different, too - possibly repositioned to accommodate a longer scale.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='32172' date='Jul 15 2007, 07:24 PM']I think Bottomfeed's student's bass probably has a neck from something else. The bridge looks different, too - possibly repositioned to accommodate a longer scale.

J.[/quote]
....Reckon you may be right there.... any ideas on the neck?

I know a keyboard player who still uses the H/H VS musician (2x12) combo.... the "valve sound" is pretty harsh but mmmm!..... green light! :)

curly leads rock!.... why don't you see them much these days?

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='32471' date='Jul 16 2007, 12:48 PM']curly leads rock!.... why don't you see them much these days?[/quote]

I just treated myself to one of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retro-coiled-guitar-Cable-Lead-20ft-6M-Cables-curly_W0QQitemZ160136376221QQihZ006QQcategoryZ47075QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]these[/url]. What a deal. Changed the plugs to Neutriks. It's great.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='32501' date='Jul 16 2007, 01:38 PM']Yes, it's time for a curly lead revival. Just realised - the lead I'm using in the picture is a curly one in transparent plastic! Wonder what happened to it?[/quote]
transparent!!!!...... way cool! I used to have one of those too!

I use these things:

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bullet-Cables-Coiled-Straight-to-Angle-Cable?sku=330072&src=3WPGWXX"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bul...amp;src=3WPGWXX[/url]

Superb piece of kit. They're bloody heavy, mind.

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='31753' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:48 PM']A student of mine has this wem bass..... anyone ever seen one before?.... got any info ?
sorry the pix are a bit sh*te!
[/quote]

All I'll say is Coxxy!!!

And at college it's known as The Oar!

But as Dave said it's horrible to play and sounds dreadful, but then again our college equipment dosen't help the matter.

[quote name='Josh' post='33084' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:10 PM']All I'll say is Coxxy!!!

And at college it's known as The Oar!

But as Dave said it's horrible to play and sounds dreadful, but then again our college equipment dosen't help the matter.[/quote]

hi josh!..... how r u getting on? :)