Why become a member? ×

Cost of a set up

Dropzone

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1483631019' post='3208851']
On that list of luthiers ,Graham Wheeler is near to you and can say from personal experience very very good. Very reasonable prices too. Grahams' been in the bizz for over 40 years.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/"]http://basschat.co.u...ended-luthiers/[/url]
[/quote]

+1 for Graham Wheeler - he's very good!

There's also Ian Robinson, based at GB Music in Bognor, who's very good also and Mike at Mike's Music in Bognor.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1483627065' post='3208785']
The strings are about an inch away from the fretboard. The wood has been carved with various designs, I am not sure how to get a pic on here????

I have eternal guitars recommended to me, who are about a mile up the road, it is big effort to get to brighton so may well go with the least line of resistance.
[/quote]Mike

I've used Graham and currently have the L2500 for repair with Dave at Eternal (who's done a load of work on guitars for my son that he's been pleased with), or there's Ian mentioned above by Nik who's even closer. We have a surfeit of options near us at the mo :)

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1483687404' post='3209223']
Who did you use in Northampton? This seems a ridiculously low price for a set up, not that I'm complaining :)
My cheap and cheerful stunt bass that I use for those [i]special[/i] gigs could do with a decent set up but it's not really worth spending a fortune on.
[/quote]

Paul Creedy (based in Duston) does all mine. He's done some cracking work for me over the years - and everyone I've recommended him to has been pleased with his work (guitars and bass).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1483960934' post='3211365']
Paul Creedy (based in Duston) does all mine. He's done some cracking work for me over the years - and everyone I've recommended him to has been pleased with his work (guitars and bass).
[/quote]

Cheers sammybee, is this the guy who trades as Arrowhead guitars? If so, I hate to be [i]that guy[/i], but unfortunately I had a bad experience with him a few years ago and won't use him again.
Pity as his price for a set up is very good.

I usually do my own set ups, they may not be perfect but the instruments are usually good enough for me (i.e. low action and a hint of fret clang when I dig in) but I just can't get my cheap old stunt bass to how I want it so I think it's time to get someone who actually knows what they're doing to have a look at it.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1484744195' post='3217975']
Cheers sammybee, is this the guy who trades as Arrowhead guitars? If so, I hate to be [i]that guy[/i], but unfortunately I had a bad experience with him a few years ago and won't use him again.
Pity as his price for a set up is very good.

I usually do my own set ups, they may not be perfect but the instruments are usually good enough for me (i.e. low action and a hint of fret clang when I dig in) but I just can't get my cheap old stunt bass to how I want it so I think it's time to get someone who actually knows what they're doing to have a look at it.
[/quote]

He had some rough times, at a personal level... I'm pretty sure that was the reason behind whatever trouble. He's a good guy.