Why become a member? ×

PA rant! Having your own PA rant! Rehearsal rant too!

itsmedunc

We've just had a few gigs for next year put in doubt because the landlord is reviewing the band policy due to 'some bands just not turning down'. If you can sort your guitarist out then you'll be doing all your local bands a favour.

I must be lucky in that we all seem to understand that levels have to be set for balance and the venue. Don't think I'd hang around long in a band that didnt.

I know the overly loud guitarist scenario all too well, keyboard players have a similar tendency too, but they can be controlled by whomever is riding the desk (assuming they DI). My current band has had two guitarists and both of them have had to be told to turn up! A nice position to be in.

+1 to raised amps.

Loud guitarists in bands. 2 options 1. get rid of them. 2. leave yourself.

People who play loud will always play loud, there's no point in trying to point out they need to turn it down however diplomatic you are, you're wasting your time. Move on or move them on.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483196516' post='3205362']
Time to move on unless the issues are sorted? Find a new band for the new year? They'll have problems finding a bass player with a PA who stores (and presumably transports) it. Not worth playing with idiots who are intent on deafening everyone. Been there, done that. Your hearing is worth far more.
[/quote]

Funny you should mention THE PA. Last night was the only night in 10 years where I haven't sorted out getting it back to mine. I left it to them. I've just found out that it's still in the venue stacked in a disabled toilet! 7pm on New Years Eve! What's going on?

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1483211167' post='3205492']

Funny you should mention THE PA. Last night was the only night in 10 years where I haven't sorted out getting it back to mine. I left it to them. I've just found out that it's still in the venue stacked in a disabled toilet! 7pm on New Years Eve! What's going on?
[/quote]

Luckily it's not your problem ?

Good advice from the others. You sound like a sensible chap and I feel for ya. No way should you have to suffer hearing damage due to someone else's stupidity.

Get rid of the wedges and the guys who 'have no space' can either step up or get used to playing without monitors. Why shoukd it be your problem?

I agree with the previous post that the more you do for others, the more they will take. Time to think about your own needs.

The guys in my band are very sensible regarding volume, but I always carry a spare set of Earplugs in the gig bag just in case of unforseen scenarios.

I was at a loud rock gig down the local a few weeks ago and there was a lot of testosterone on and off stage and I was thinking that I'd probably be sneered at if I was gigging there with Earplugs, but if it comes to my hearing vs getting heckled by the punters, no contest.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1483067508' post='3204540']
Unfortunately, the lead guitarist (who is a star really), appears to think he has to be trouser flapping loud. He doesn't like E kits either. He thinks he will just sound sh*t without valves and a cab. I don't think he has any faith in emulators etc. This is all without even trying it.
[/quote]

Billy Idol guitarist, Steve Stevens, posted this on Facebook a couple of days ago - might be an amp simulator that's worth checking out:

Whenever I'm impressed by a music product, i try to spread the word. I am usually not a fan of guitar amp simulator plugins. I have tried most every one. I recently stumbled upon the Mercurial Audio Spark. To my ears it's the first that feels and sounds like the real deal. It's simple to use. I have not been paid or compensated by these guys in any way. They were surprised to know i had purchased their product. I just think this one's a winner.

https://www.facebook.com/MercuriallAudioSoftware/?fref=ts

Edited by darkandrew

. Feel your pain as its easier said than done to replace problem people in bands.

Our keys player supplies the PA. ( 2 x tops, pa amp. mixer. leads.)Our singer/s are responsible for their own fold back. We all help with moving PA to and from car at each venue.

Get advertising for a new band and if any of the existing members that are cool apply...........

After seeing a couple of mentions of the Jam Hub in previous posts I googled the product as it sounded and interesting and practical band rehearsal tool, only to find a message on their website front page announcing the closure of the company! So a good, well regarded and innovative product bites the dust. Not for the first or last time, I suppose. Sorry for the slight detour from the OP.