Why become a member? ×

US Fender P bass with Jazz pup

ben_eat_pie

Hi there,

I've got a bit of a story to tell about my bass...

I purchased my current (and first serious) bass for 575quid from fleebay in oct/nov 2006. At this time I was only just 16, fairly dumb too so didn't really know what I was looking at at the time - I had no idea about basschat at this time!

I've for the last few months been doubting the origin of my bass - it was advertised as an American Made bass so I bought it under this impression. All was good, I payed the man an he drove 130 miles to drop it off for free - at the time i wasn't at home and a neighbor collected it for me. I thought this was very kind, but recently have worried about weather it is an actual American Bass and this was a good way of not being in contact! (i also thought it was stolen but that's another matter!)

Since I bought it I've not had a great deal of knowledge about my bass - and I'm now asking questions!

I've noticed it has a 'Corona' neck plate - this is bizare as it's my favourite beer, and brewed in Mexico!

Prior to that I had the scratch plate off and noticed that the wiring wasn't the fabric type....

The build quality seems to be immaculate and it plays really well, I love the bass and wherever it's from I'm keeping it!

A problem has arrised that the bridge pup isn't doing a lot - ei broken or dodgey wiring .... this is my first problem with the bass. Due to this I'm considering getting an new wiring kit - not sure what the benifits are in this situation!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation and help me out here. I'm quite happy taking the bass apart, but it's not at home... ever... so would be a fairly long process of contact.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to any information,

Ben

Fender instruments are built in [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona,_California"]Corona, California[/url]... i.e. nothing to do with Corona beer :)

If you post the serial number, I'm sure someone will be able to work out where it was made though. I also believe Fender use normal wiring on most of their instruments. I would think they would only use cloth covered wire on vintage reissues – though they might not even use it on those.

As for your wiring problem. First step would be to take it apart and check for broken connections, it may be something as simple as a broken lead from the jazz pickup.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='~tl' post='307410' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:47 PM']I would think they would only use cloth covered wire on vintage reissues – though they might not even use it on those.[/quote]

That's true. If your bass has normal plastic coated wires, there's no reason why it couldn't be a genuine American Fender.

If you want to buy a new wiring kit, there are a few guys on the forum here who'd be more than happy to make you one (check the Affiliates forum for more info). You could, of course, buy one from a parts website, however the P/J VVT configuration might be a slightly harder layout to find.

I did a "repair" on one of these a few years ago (plastic wiring) because the factory wiring (black and white same on both volume pots) put the J out of phase with the P. When you turned both volumes up full the sound was very thin and useless (swap one set of wires around and it was fine).

Look for broken solder joints first, either on pots or the pickups' hook up wires....