Why become a member? ×

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

SH73

Cheers SH73.

I wish you the same.

@ Yank, what adjective would you use for "Xmas" just out of curiosity? Abreviated Xmas maybe...?

(Pulling your leg like it was a Christmas cracker mate, heeheehee.)

[i][b][size=8]Happy Christmas Everyone![/size][/b][/i]

Edited by SpondonBassed

My nephew, then aged 6, was taught that "[i]Jesus Christ our saviour was born on Xmas day[/i]".

Confused, I asked when Xmas would be if Jesus had been born in June. He replied "[i]Xmas would still be in December[/i]". After all he was born on Xmas Day.

In effect he'd learned that it was a coincidence that Jesus had been born on Xmas Day and that Xmas had been here before Jesus was born..

Another nephew, who'd got loads of pressies for Xmas, was a bit miffed when I told him that Jesus had only got 3 presents and that it was his birthday... :santa2:

[b][size=6] [/size][/b][b][size=6]Happy Xmas to you all.... :santa2: :santa2:[/size][/b]

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1482314349' post='3199393']
I always thought that Brit's said "Happy Christmas". Does that mean that you say "Merry New Year"?

No matter how we say it, here's wishing you all good cheer.
[/quote]

And a Merry / Happy Christmas to you too, Sir! :)

The only convention about 'Merry' is that one tends to use it in conjunction with 'Christmas' rather than 'New Year'. Happy can be used with either 'Christmas' or 'New Year' but not twice in the same sentence, hence the Happy > Merry thing.

So in the UK: Merry Christmas [i]or[/i] Happy Christmas; Merry Christmas [i]and[/i] a Happy New Year; seldom if ever a [i]Merry[/i] New Year. After [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day"]Boxing Day[/url] (26th Dec) many of us might switch to just 'Happy New Year'.

Alternative versions are available: one year an unsubstantiated allegation went round that the City of Birmingham had replaced 'Happy Christmas' with the more politically-correct phrase 'Happy Winterval'. This so unsettled some citizens of Our Great Nation that it all led - eventually - to Brexit.

In a multicultural society where the 'practicing' Christian population is somewhat outnumbered,
the term 'Winterval' may not be totally off the mark.
Without wishing to dive into religion (or politics), I can't be the only one who found the annual
(and somewhat short) speech from Maj to be a bit patronising & over-pro CofE?

Whatever, my best wishes for 2017 to everyone on Basschat.

:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1482689296' post='3202225']
And a Merry / Happy Christmas to you too, Sir! :)

The only convention about 'Merry' is that one tends to use it in conjunction with 'Christmas' rather than 'New Year'. Happy can be used with either 'Christmas' or 'New Year' but not twice in the same sentence,
[/quote]

Is that like when ghost busters get their blasters crossed up then?

Personally, I hope you've all been having as nice a Christmas as we are enjoying. May I wish everyone a [size=5]prosperous[/size] New Year!

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1482692745' post='3202233']
In a multicultural society where the 'practicing' Christian population is somewhat outnumbered,
the term 'Winterval' may not be totally off the mark.
Without wishing to dive into religion (or politics), I can't be the only one who found the annual
(and somewhat short) speech from Maj to be a bit patronising & over-pro CofE?

Whatever, my best wishes for 2017 to everyone on Basschat.

:)
[/quote]

To be fair, HM [i]is[/i] the CEO of the CoE.

Exactly.

Anyway, I've never understood why some people are so intent on being offended. If someone wishes me happy christmas/haj/hannuka/thanksgiving day/[insert own celebration here] why should I be offended just because I don't believe in the things behind them? Good wishes are good wishes aren't they? We could do with more of them in the world, not start a fight because someone wished us well for, apparently, the wrong reason.