Why become a member? ×

Public liability insurance?

stingrayPete1977

We use amp band Pete, and havedone for a few years.

[url="https://www.ampband.co.uk/index.php"]https://www.ampband.co.uk/index.php[/url]

Cheap as chips and a load of bands I know use it but I don't know anyone who's had to claim.

Les

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1482091418' post='3197592']
We use AMPband
[/quote]
[quote name='Les' timestamp='1482091583' post='3197594']
We use amp band Pete, and havedone for a few years.

[url="https://www.ampband.co.uk/index.php"]https://www.ampband.co.uk/index.php[/url]

Cheap as chips and a load of bands I know use it but I don't know anyone who's had to claim.

Les
[/quote]

This looks the part and only £69 thanks!

I've never bothered, probably because we're not highly organised and only gig about a dozen times a year. I also don't bother with equipment insurance because I look after my gear when gigging so theft is not a worry and damage seems highly unlikely at the sort of places we gig.

I've also never heard of anyone ever needing to make a claim. Anyone here have any experience of making a claim?

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1482109493' post='3197755']
I've also never heard of anyone ever needing to make a claim. Anyone here have any experience of making a claim?
[/quote]

I don't know of anyone needing/claiming either but some venues insist on it or you don't get the gig.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1482114681' post='3197775']
Pete - have you had an unfortunate history of punters at gigs accidently brutally tripping over your Wren & Pickle and accidentally brutally headbutting the floor and suffering a small brain seizure ?

Just wondering
[/quote]

No, has your band got enough money in the kitty if it happened on one of yours?

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1482128455' post='3197791']

I don't know of anyone needing/claiming either but some venues insist on it or you don't get the gig.
[/quote]

Exactly, we can and do argue about insurance and PAT testing but if the venue insist it's either a matter of getting some or not doing the gig.

Even if you do a dozen gigs a year it only costs £1.15 per gig each with a four piece band.

Yeah, it always brings a chuckle when you read of the £2-5m liability that you now have cover for. With the level of OCD in the band, I doubt our lot could do £10 of damage even if we wanted to! But it's a moot point, as half the wedding venues we've played want it, along with PAT test certificates.

If you're gigging pubs, then it's probably diwn to your opinion on the risk vs cost whether to get cover or not. But if you do weddings and functions more than a couple of times a year then might as well get the cover for the £69 it costs.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482136093' post='3197816']
Exactly, we can and do argue about insurance and PAT testing but if the venue insist it's either a matter of getting some or not doing the gig.

Even if you do a dozen gigs a year it only costs £1.15 per gig each with a four piece band.
[/quote]

We've never been asked for insurance or PAT certs. If the venue insisted on us having insurance we'd probably ask them to pay for it or we'd not bother :)

More seriously, shouldn't the venue be the ones responsible for any necessary insurance and licences? We don't pay for a PRS licence so why is insurance different?

As for PAT testing, it's not a legal requirement and since the venue (the 'employer') doesn't own the equipment in question it is therefore not responsible for it. I'm not saying that venues never ask for PAT certs and I'm sure some of them do out of bureaucratic jobsworthiness, but all I know is that in 10 years of fairly regular gigging at pubs, parties and the odd music festival, we've never been asked for them.

I agree that if asked then it would be almost impossible to argue against it, in which case we'd just ask the venue to pay or we'd give it a miss. We're not dependent on gigging for an income so it would be no loss to us.

This all comes down to what sort of gigs you are doing. Most pubs/clubs wont bother but if you are predominantly doing functions/weddings/corporate then you'll need to prove you have the cover (not that you'll ever likely need to use it)

PAT certs are normally asked for even though its not a legal requirement (try asking for a risk assessment of the power supply you're pluggin into from the venue ;o) n)

PLI, I'd say any band worth their salt should be carrying one of these.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1482152791' post='3198025']
This all comes down to what sort of gigs you are doing. Most pubs/clubs wont bother but if you are predominantly doing functions/weddings/corporate then you'll need to prove you have the cover (not that you'll ever likely need to use it)

PAT certs are normally asked for even though its not a legal requirement (try asking for a risk assessment of the power supply you're pluggin into from the venue ;o) n)

PLI, I'd say any band worth their salt should be carrying one of these.
[/quote]
Spot on.
My understanding is that with a pub gig, the LL is booking you to play and therefore you are covered by their PLI.
With a Wedding/Corporate/Party gig, generally the Bride and Groom or Organiser is booking you and the venue separately so the venue needs to make sure you are covered as their PLI doesn't extend to you in these circumstances.

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1482152431' post='3198016']

We've never been asked for insurance or PAT certs. If the venue insisted on us having insurance we'd probably ask them to pay for it or we'd not bother :)

More seriously, shouldn't the venue be the ones responsible for any necessary insurance and licences? We don't pay for a PRS licence so why is insurance different?

As for PAT testing, it's not a legal requirement and since the venue (the 'employer') doesn't own the equipment in question it is therefore not responsible for it. I'm not saying that venues never ask for PAT certs and I'm sure some of them do out of bureaucratic jobsworthiness, but all I know is that in 10 years of fairly regular gigging at pubs, parties and the odd music festival, we've never been asked for them.

I agree that if asked then it would be almost impossible to argue against it, in which case we'd just ask the venue to pay or we'd give it a miss. We're not dependent on gigging for an income so it would be no loss to us.
[/quote]
The venue will be insured for their property and the actions of their staff not yours. The insurance covers your band if someone trips over a Mic stand or a speaker falls on them. It also covers their staff and property from our actions.

Your place of work will have insurance but once I come into your place of work I need to prove to your bosses that I'm insured around their employees, it's exactly the same.

As for the PAT what normally happens their is you book the gig with the bride for example and there's no mention of it again until you meet the person at the venue that shows you where to set up and what not, what do you do then?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482154068' post='3198037'] The venue will be insured for their property and the actions of their staff not yours. The insurance covers your band if someone trips over a Mic stand or a speaker falls on them. It also covers their staff and property from our actions.
[/quote]

If the venue is paying the band then they are in the employ of the venue and are surely just as much 'staff' as the temporary bar staff? Therefore they could be covered under the venue's PLI?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482154068' post='3198037']
Your place of work will have insurance but once I come into your place of work I need to prove to your bosses that I'm insured around their employees, it's exactly the same.
[/quote]

Last time I walked into a pub (or Tesco or a car showroom, etc) I wasn't asked to prove I was insured around their employees.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482154068' post='3198037']
As for the PAT what normally happens their is you book the gig with the bride for example and there's no mention of it again until you meet the person at the venue that shows you where to set up and what not, what do you do then? [/quote]

It hasn't happened to us in ten years though I take your point. What would we do then? Well, if PAT was genuinely not specified as a requirement we'd just have to ask the bride and venue to sort it out. What else could we do? How proactive are we supposed to be?

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1482159216' post='3198097']

If the venue is paying the band then they are in the employ of the venue and are surely just as much 'staff' as the temporary bar staff? Therefore they could be covered under the venue's PLI?

Last time I walked into a pub (or Tesco or a car showroom, etc) I wasn't asked to prove I was insured around their employees.

It hasn't happened to us in ten years though I take your point. What would we do then? Well, if PAT was genuinely not specified as a requirement we'd just have to ask the bride and venue to sort it out. What else could we do? How proactive are we supposed to be?
[/quote]

If I come into your place of work to carry out a job I'll be required to be insured against my actions, that goes for Tesco or a pub if you are going in as a worker not a customer.

If the venue employed you directly it would indeed be their responsibility to ensure their insurance covered having a band with a stage and loose cables etc. Coming in at the request of the bride or the venue as a sub contractor you will need your own insurance, same will go for the disco, caterers if they are bringing equipment in, bouncy castle whatever, it's all standard stuff.

We had three PAT test venues and one public liability request last year but probably more like a dozen gigs that should have asked us if they were doing their job properly.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482162112' post='3198128']
If I come into your place of work to carry out a job I'll be required to be insured against my actions, that goes for Tesco or a pub if you are going in as a worker not a customer.

If the venue employed you directly it would indeed be their responsibility to ensure their insurance covered having a band with a stage and loose cables etc. Coming in at the request of the bride or the venue as a sub contractor you will need your own insurance, same will go for the disco, caterers if they are bringing equipment in, bouncy castle whatever, it's all standard stuff.

We had three PAT test venues and one public liability request last year but probably more like a dozen gigs that should have asked us if they were doing their job properly.
[/quote]

^This. As a band you are self-employed, you haven't gone on the venue's payroll for the night.