Why become a member? ×

Vinyl outsells digital downloads

PaulWarning

Is the headline 'vinyl outsells digital downloads' really so surprising in these days of music streaming? Does a spotify subscription, for example, count towards the 'digital downloads' number?

Might just be that few and fewer people are actually buying music in any 'collectable' format. Fighting over the dregs of a market doesn't seem like great business to me.

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1482797300' post='3202820']
Is the headline 'vinyl outsells digital downloads' really so surprising in these days of music streaming? Does a spotify subscription, for example, count towards the 'digital downloads' number?

Might just be that few and fewer people are actually buying music in any 'collectable' format. Fighting over the dregs of a market doesn't seem like great business to me.
[/quote]

I think you hit it in the head.

People like me still buy the odd CD, but mostly buy digital format music, because I like to own the file and not depend on connection to a service. But I am increasingly finding I am a little 'old-fashioned' among my peers (generally a bit younger than me, I guess because I'm immature so I fit there better :P). Then, my girlfriend (who is one notch) never buys any music anymore, and relies on Spotify and some other service entirely. Her friends are the same.

I think streaming is not only attractive because it allows you to access almost anything almost anywhere, but because it's interactive and can suggest new music based on what you are generally playing. That leads to discovering new music. It's something I like a lot and even I are started to feel I want to start streaming (as well as buying)... There's been quite a few bands that my gf is playing and I go "how did you find that?" and the reply is "oh, Spotify suggested it".

I thought I was enough of a dinosaur when I kept buying CDs (I mostly stopped now, too much space and I rarely use a CD player), but with all the streaming stuff I feel like a grandpa. THEN, the new thing becomes vinyl? Give me a break! :lol:

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1482797300' post='3202820']

[/quote]
[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482844989' post='3203022']
I think you hit it in the head.

People like me still buy the odd CD, but mostly buy digital format music, because I like to own the file and not depend on connection to a service. But I am increasingly finding I am a little 'old-fashioned' among my peers (generally a bit younger than me, I guess because I'm immature so I fit there better :P). Then, my girlfriend (who is one notch) never buys any music anymore, and relies on Spotify and some other service entirely. Her friends are the same.

I think streaming is not only attractive because it allows you to access almost anything almost anywhere, but because it's interactive and can suggest new music based on what you are generally playing. That leads to discovering new music. It's something I like a lot and even I are started to feel I want to start streaming (as well as buying)... There's been quite a few bands that my gf is playing and I go "how did you find that?" and the reply is "oh, Spotify suggested it".

I thought I was enough of a dinosaur when I kept buying CDs (I mostly stopped now, too much space and I rarely use a CD player), but with all the streaming stuff I feel like a grandpa. THEN, the new thing becomes vinyl? Give me a break! :lol:
[/quote]I did allude to this in my original post

Spotify IME is very limited in choice once you step outside of mainstream or recent releases.

My new band are doing a series of playlists on Spotify as part of our interaction with our fans. I was going to do either a J-pop or post-punk electronic set but most of the songs I wanted to include aren't available. It's not as though the songs are massively obscure either. Most of the J-pop artists are on major labels, and all of the electronic stuff was regularly featured on John Peel's show back in the day.

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1481137460' post='3190006']
Kate Bush is to blame apparently. Something about a live album.
[/quote]

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1481157788' post='3190195']
I'd say it more demonstrates the wholesale shift to streaming music than downloading it.
[/quote]

A combination of the two accounts for it pretty well. Digital download volumes are 30% lower than their peak in 2012 and Kate's relatively expensive triple album was at the top of the chart.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482844989' post='3203022']

[/quote]

i still purchase physical music on cd or vinyl more than digital music. if i buy something i want it in my hands so i can look over the art etc.

i got told i was an exception because i bought a mobile phone the other day to use as (shock horror) a phone.... maybe im just old before my time

as it happens i am listening to "appetite for destruction" on vinyl why i wait for people to come over.... each to their own i guess

Edited by RockfordStone

I always buy music on CD - I`ve no idea how this download stuff works, and have no want to find out. I like having an item that I can play/look at the art-work etc. I do listen to music on youtube, but if I find something I like, then Amazon gets the nod, and the delivery [s]man[/s] sorry person comes a calling.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Bowie's Blackstar and his sad passing in 2016 has had a huge influence on the market for vinyl. I mean, Blackstar (thankfully!) outsold Adele's latest album on vinyl, and it is probably one of the most experimental albums I've heard by a huge artist for some time. That, for me, says a lot. It means there really are pockets of people out there that love music that isn't just the norm.

My vinyl collection has become much larger in the past 2 years. Mainly due to having space to have my full stereo out, and space for the turntable to be accessible without it being annoying.

Plus, I really enjoy buying music on a physical format and having the digital version for the iPhone/Mac. Best of both worlds.