Why become a member? ×

New amp/rig advice

boomtown22

Hello,

I am currently looking into replacing my Hartke VX2500 with a more powerful (but hopefully not too much bigger) setup.

I play in a covers band that plays rock/soul/pop in medium to large pub gigs and we don't normally play with bass bins so the amp has got to shift a lot of air itself.

I have viewed online (but haven't went and played because of my rural location)

- Roland D 400w 2 x 10
- Markbass 500w 2 x 10
- Ampeg B2 450w head with ampeg b series 4 x 10 cab
- Orange 500w head orange 2 x 12 cab

Being quite new to bass playing I don't really have a clue what would be best for my situation.

My budget is about £1200 , not fussed if new or second hand.

Any recommendations of any of these products or anything else you can think of for my situation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

This will create a great debate as each of those has their merit and no matter how good they are, they may not sound right to your ears......
So for my 2 pence worth can I ask if you like the Hartke sound?
If so you can get an LH500 or LH1000 cheaply second hand, i got mine in a flight case perfect for under £200.
I have a Barefaced Supertwin which is a 212 and it is very loud.
I got the Cab second hand and had decent change out of £1K.

If it's lighterweight you need with power to drive speakers then there are other things like Tecamp Puma, Aguilar Tonehammer 500, EBS Reidmar 750 all very well priced on the second hand market.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do like the hartke sound although I have only played a Carlsbro amp to compare it to. I have received a few bad comments but I suspect that might be abit of snobbery towards it ? I know someone with a tc 4x10 rig and it doesn't really cut throughwell in my opinion so what's what made me think to just go powerful and compact.

I like the look of the EBS head and supertwin cab, I will have a look to see if I can find any of them second hand

All depends on your sonic space.

A Hartke flat EQ is bass knob 2/3, mid knob 10, treble knob 2/3. You can then work from there to tinker your sound. Not all 410s are bred alike and you can find endless discussions on dispersion issues, but it fully depends on the components in the Cab.

So far as not cutting through, well if you have a guitarist with a Les Paul and then you play something like a Fender Starcaster with 'Mudbucker' type pick ups you will just get a wash of sound, or if it's too heavily distorted to be articulate.

Pair instruments right, get the balance and EQ together and you will get heard just fine I think.

Most important thing is to have fun and do whatever you want and sounds good to you and the band.
You look at a guitarist like Ty Tabor in Kings X and for years people were trying to work out his sound buying all sorts of expensive gear, and actually it was from a very old, relatively cheap amp that he just lived and tinkered with till it matched dUg's sound that he took ages to tinker with.

I'm sure you'll get in fine as long as people keep drinking in the pubs!

Make sure you post your rig pics!

By the way I have a Hartke LH1000 and it's very loud and bombproof and pretty transparent to allow you to amplify what you throw at it.

I have the Barefaced supertwin speakers which are phenomenal and loads of bass.
I had the Hartke HyDrive 410s, very good as well but I needed a little more low end for my liking and a lighter weight so moved them on

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1479324025' post='3175691']
This will create a great debate as each of those has their merit and no matter how good they are, they may not sound right to your ears......
So for my 2 pence worth can I ask if you like the Hartke sound?
If so you can get an LH500 or LH1000 cheaply second hand, i got mine in a flight case perfect for under £200.
I have a Barefaced Supertwin which is a 212 and it is very loud.
I got the Cab second hand and had decent change out of £1K.

If it's lighterweight you need with power to drive speakers then there are other things like Tecamp Puma, Aguilar Tonehammer 500, EBS Reidmar 750 all very well priced on the second hand market.

Good luck!
[/quote]

This is pretty much the advice I would give. I can also tell you that the Reidmar 750 is a great sounding and very loud amp. Used Barefaced cabs like an early 2 x 12 will give good value and performance. You might even get the most recent Barefaced 2 x12 depending on how much of your budget goes on the amp.

Of course, many other quality 2 x 12 cabs would suit your needs but, in my experience, a 2 x12, (or a pair of 1 x 12 cabs) of your preferred manufacturer will do everything you need.

Frank.

Rural or not, it would help if you gave your rough location.

There are plenty of folk on Basschat who will let you visit them and try their gear.
For instance, if you are within 40 or 50 miles of Wigan, you are welcome to come and try my TC E BH800 through my Schroeder 212.

For a few visits to different folk, you may be able to try everything you are considering.

One obvious slight word of caution that applies to most folk. My rig sounds VERY different in my tiny 3rd bedroom, to how it sounds removing plaster in the Dog and Duck :D

Good luck and enjoy the search. It really is part of the fun.

First thing I'd say is that if you're earning any kind of money as a band and you're playing larger pubs then you need a decent PA.

A proper, balanced, mix through the PA will always sound better than individual musicians desperately trying to 'cut through' and boosting frequencies that sound good to them on stage.

I'd 'fix' this first before tinkering around with new amps and cabs - to a lot of people buying PA equipment is duller than dull but your audience will be coming to hear you play as a band and providing them with the best quality sound will get you a lot more gigs :)