Why become a member? ×

Single tone control active - do they exist?

Ajoten

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1476872253' post='3157905']
Have you seen Albert Kreuzer's design for an onboard preamp? It's a nicely thought out FET preamp with a single knob tone control. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be be any commercial preamps with this topology, as it would also suit the OP's requirements nicely.

www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp_onboard.htm
[/quote]

It's the circuit that eventually became the Electronix Submarine preamp. Are they still manufactured?

Have you seen Albert Kreuzer's design for an onboard preamp? It's a nicely thought out FET preamp with a single knob tone control. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be be any commercial preamps with this topology, as it would also suit the OP's requirements nicely.

[/quote]

Raven labs [Steve Rabes company after he sold SWR] used to do a preamp pbr-1 which was a retrofit to the pbass, using a volume control and a single tone control with a centre detent, I have 2 of them and they are fantastic.

Unfortunately, he stopped trading, and they are only available second hand, if you can find them.

[/quote]

I have indeed. It (along with Albert Kreuzer's rack preamp) has been on my to do list for YEARS. It was the basis for the idea. Kreuzer's preamp is the basis for the Fuzzrocious BDPG (with a modded LPB1 pushing the input) and Zeibek Submarine preamp.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1476857516' post='3157761']
Why would a P need a blend? I thought the stacked knobs on the P Retro did the following:

1: Top - volume (pull for active mode)
Bottom - passive tone

2: Top - mid boost one way,bass&treble boost the other way
Bottom - variable frequency
[/quote]

Absolutely correct, major brain fart there. Apologies all round.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1476816624' post='3157573']
That post could be the very definition of false equivalence.
[/quote]

FWIW not really - the development of active basses (from early 70s) was a direct result of striving for better sound reproduction and mirrored other contemporary developments in the same field (SS amps, hi fi systems, better recording techniques.

Bear in mind it was quite a quick gestation to get to the Wal type of bass with filter preamp (also Alembic) and for the mass market, the Stingray.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1476857516' post='3157761']

Why would a P need a blend? I thought the stacked knobs on the P Retro did the following:

1: Top - volume (pull for active mode)
Bottom - passive tone

2: Top - mid boost one way,bass&treble boost the other way
Bottom - variable frequency
[/quote]

I would have counted a stack knob as the equivalent of two controls (i.e. two knobs ....... oo er missus).