Why become a member? ×

EPifani advice required

peety

Hello folks

at the present i run an SVT 3 Pro through 2 warwick neo cabs 1x15 and 1x12 and wilst these are good cabs and relatively easy to transport, i am looking to get to a one cab setup and neither of these cabs fits the bill on their own for me.

Everything i have read about Epifani cabs seems to have been positive just wondered if anyone on ere could point me in the direction from experience of what would be best suited to my needs, looking for a 4ohm cab easy to transport due to my dodgy back.

Just for info i play in a covers band that covers most stuff from led Zep to Mowtown and i play either a lakland bg or Dj strung generally with flats.

We gererally di everything but would also like something that could be used as a stand alone as and when reqired.

looked at the ul310 or possibly 410.

would appreciate any advice/experience people have or any other cabs you would recommend.

cheers steve

If you want lightweight there are loads of other options besides Epifani, EBS, GenzBenz, Dr Bass, Zoot, Tech - I could go on. If you are using flats I would be tempted to get something with a mid range driver like a Dr Bass 2460 or dispense with the tweeter altogether and get one of Alex Clabers big ones.

I wouldn't go for the 3x10.
I have used my SVT 3 through my 8 ohm Epifani 4x10 and it sounds great. Unless you have very good ears I don't think the "real world" difference between 275 watts into an 8 ohm cab and 450 watts into a 4 ohm cab is very great. The big difference in sound and tone is when you use 2 8 ohm cabs and the extra speaker cones start shifting more air.

Thanks for the info fellas i'm quite open minded when it comes to make just that i've heard good things about epifani in terms of weight and output,

would be more than interested in any other suggestions, guess i want something that will give me plenty bottom end without losing definition if that makes sense.

cheers steve

My own personal recommendations are either the Epi UL310 or the Schroeder 21012L Steve (as discussed).

Both should be more than enough to cover most venues and are small and light enough to take anywhere easily.

My own preference is the UL310 but that's due to the tighter sound of the 3x10's over the 2x10's and 1x12 in the Schroeder.

That said, the Schroeder offers (IMHO) better on-stage sound and projection of the lower end.

But, to qualify the above, I really don't know what I'm talking about from a technical point of view- it's all subjective :)

I’ve been using the UL310 for a couple of months and it’s great. I almost laughed when I picked it up for the first time. Just the weight of the thing sold it to me, but the fact of the matter is that it’s also a fantastic sounding cab with as much power handling as a lot of us are ever going to need (750W…I think). I’m using mine with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (ridiculously light rig) which kicks out 600W @ 4ohms – It’s more than I’m likely to ever need and tone wise it’s great – quite a versatile little thing. I went from an Ampeg all valve rig to this lightweight set up and for me it was definitely the right move.
As a couple of others have mentioned, consider the Schroeder 1212L as well, as these are also great cabs and significantly cheaper than the Epifani ones.

Thanks all am beginning to think the schreoder 21012 or 1212 may be the answer although have just been looking at the 21015 not exactly lightweight but not massively heavy or overbig, anyone had any experience of one of these. As it could be the answer i'm looking for or would i get enough bottom end out of the 21012.

cheers steve

I'd recommend you try out some 10s and 12s to see which you prefer the sound of generally.

When I was shopping for cabs, I noticed that all the 10s had a similar high mid bump in the frequency response. The 12s have a bump too, but it's at a lower mid frequency which was more pleasing to my ears. You may prefer the 10" sound - many people describe them as punchy.

Very happy with my setup of 2 x Epifani UL 112 - chosen after trying EBS, Aguilar, MarkBass etc. Haven't heard Schroeder cabs yet, though.

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='303419' date='Oct 9 2008, 11:16 PM']If you want something with a bit more "bite" I'd recommend the Schroeder 1212L....amazing cab that fills any room[/quote]

Yep, that gets my vote as well.

Had a UL212 and while it was a nice cab, light sounded nice on its own the 1212L really comes in to its own when played at t gig. No issues with not being heard either on stage or out front.

I always found the UL212 to be a bit soft or muddy in the low mids. Played the same gigs a few times with it and then switched to the 1212L and that made a big difference to the mix and the bands sound. More definition and more clean lows out front. It also seems to be a bit better on hollow stages as well.

The new 1215 looks very tempting though. A bit more bottom end than the 1212L.

Never played an Ampeg through it though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='316259' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:40 PM']Im not a lover of 10"'s but yeah, the UL410 is amazing.
Lots of low end but still quick loud and punchy.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice eveyone have ordered a schroeder 21015L which arrives tomorrow i'll keep you informed

cheers steve

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='316784' date='Oct 28 2008, 03:38 PM']Fantastic, let us know how it sounds.[/quote]

Will do not exactly lightweight although the guy at shx says there is not much difference between that and the 21012L and i'm a sucker for 15's

[quote name='peety' post='316796' date='Oct 28 2008, 03:54 PM']Will do not exactly lightweight although the guy at shx says there is not much difference between that and the 21012L and i'm a sucker for 15's[/quote]

Yeah, im on the look out for something with a 15 in it. might go for a 1215L when i can afford it.

Shaun's a great guy to deal with.
I got my 1212L from him. He's in direct contact with Jorg so if anything goes wrong with the cab they will get it sorted very quickly.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='316799' date='Oct 28 2008, 04:00 PM']Yeah, im on the look out for something with a 15 in it. might go for a 1215L when i can afford it.

Shaun's a great guy to deal with.
I got my 1212L from him. He's in direct contact with Jorg so if anything goes wrong with the cab they will get it sorted very quickly.[/quote]

Yes been very impressed with Shaun really helpful and did me a great deal on the cab roll on tomorrow

Edited by peety