Why become a member? ×

Refurbishing a bass to sell. Is it worth it or just sell as it is?

Painy

I have an old German Warwick Corvette active 5 string which is basically just living in a case under the bed unplayed. I've kept it mainly for sentimental reasons till now but I'm thinking I'd rather have something that would get used so considering moving it on but it is in real need of some TLC to make it giggable.
It's a bit scruffy looking from years of gigging but that's just cosmetic. The electronics work fine and the neck is okay but it desperately needs the frets dressing (lots of roundwound string wear) and the bridge has seized up solid so it can't be adjusted so I'm thinking just replace the bridge altogether (under £40 from Thomann, plus postage).
With Corvettes not really fetching much these days I'm just unsure if I'll see a return on any investment I'd make or if I should just sell it as it is as a fixer-upper.
Any thoughts?

Sell it as it is with a honest description so the buyer knows what he's getting and can add up the cost of the fix.
Who knows, he might have a fitting bridge and/or an expert at fret dressing so what you'd spend on the bass to fix things up may not worth the extra cost (and increased price) for the buyer in this instance.

I personally would not do anything but sell the bass as it is with all the info (pics) so the buyer is safe.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1476118429' post='3151501']
Sell it as it is with a honest description so the buyer knows what he's getting and can add up the cost of the fix.
Who knows, he might have a fitting bridge and/or an expert at fret dressing so what you'd spend on the bass to fix things up may not worth the extra cost (and increased price) for the buyer in this instance.

I personally would not do anything but sell the bass as it is with all the info (pics) so the buyer is safe.
[/quote]
Totally agree - you just wouldn't get back what you spend.

I could be interested in buying or trading. I would also enjoy doing any work needed. So, the perceived value to me for the work already been done would be fairly low.

Also, I already have a Warwick Corvette with some honest scars of its own past. I wasn't there when it got them but it brings character. I don't normally like a bass that's been reliced but I can like honest scars of its experience.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1476184816' post='3152009']
I've had one of those, Mr Painy. I would keep it and enjoy if you possibly can . A new bridge is cheap, and bear in mind that the jack sockets often go, but you can get a neutrik model at Maplin for about £5
[/quote]

Funny enough I had to replace the jack socket shortly after I got it.
As much as part of me would love to keep it (it really is an absolute tone monster) I just don't get on with the flat radius fingerboard anymore.

I can't see myself selling a bass (or any other piece of gear) without cleaning it up, doing a setup and making sure everything works as it should. If anything is broken or malfunctioning beyond my ability to repair it i'll state that quite clearly in my add.
I know i won't be raising it's value with that work but if i hate when i buy a bass (for the average used price value) and get one that's dirty and unplayable i sure won't be that guy that sends one like that to another person.

If you find a buyer that's well informed about the condition of the bass and is prepared to do the work it needs. And if you are willing to sell it for a price that reflects the need of that work when comparing to the average used prices i think it's fair for you to send it as it is.