Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM-112T- v Barefaced Super compact

Kevin Dean

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1478002479' post='3165854']
An Ashdown cab is preferred over a Barefaced...will Basschat ever recover from this...!!
Good job I've got biscuits in....
[/quote]

I've recently rediscovered Malted Milks after a ~30 year break. I hope you have some of those in your selection....

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1477989553' post='3165685']
I'm not really surprised at any of this. Alex has always been spot on and totally honest with his posts here, and in his BGM articles but he makes his living by selling speakers and has to indulge in advertising talk on his website. Barefaced sell very well engineered cabs with great drivers, but there is no magic speaker genie. The 'sound ' of a cab is down to taste and what suits upon the music you play. The independents have pioneered lightweight high excursion speakers, the big boys manufacturing in China were bound to catch up with 'me too' products.
[/quote]

Pretty much this, it was only a matter of time before some of the bigger players wanted a piece of the pie...

.................. The independents have pioneered lightweight high excursion speakers, the big boys manufacturing in China were bound to catch up with 'me too' products.
[/quote]
Not sure I'd call Eminence an 'Independent'

My guess, and I'd [b]love someone to provide me with both cabs to dissect, is that the biggest differences are in the bracing of the cabs[/b], which you'd probably only notice in critical applications and in excursion which you'd only notice if you attempt to drive very high power levels at very low frequencies, and most of us won't so long as we have enough speakers. Two good twelves should have enough for 95% of us.
[/quote]

Be interested to hear more views on this from Cabinet makers.

You really need to be careful with these power specs. The limiting factor for power dissipation is how quickly the heat can be removed from the coil. Most of this is transferred via the magnets and tiny neo magnets need lots of fins to compete with ceramic magnets. Most designs also use the air movement around the coil to ventilate heat away but this has its limits too. Ultimately around 350W is the most a 12" speaker can dissipate, whatever the manufacturers claim. Anything much higher is always a peak figure.

In any case the real limiting figure is usually excursion, There aren't many speakers I've modelled over the years that aren't excursion limited down to 200W or usually less in the lower octaves somewhere, and all of them will fail if you put 400W of 33Hz through them continuously, not that you ever would. There's no such thing as a 700W continuous 12" speaker.
[/quote]

Sensible and fair points. I'd be surprised or cynical if anyone claimed any different.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1477994078' post='3165739']
My point is that lbs are only used by Americans and proud parents in the UK. I apologise for being a pedant.
[/quote]

oh, I see :lol:

being a non-native, I much prefer Kg too but not everybody arouns is as enlightened :P