Why become a member? ×

How did you learn to play bass?

highwayman

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475687683' post='3148005']

Nonsense, you can learn a lot from records and even more from books and structured lessons.

I'm a rock guy, however I was able to win an audition to play bass in my university jazz band for 4 years because in addition to moving that needle back and fourth I had also studied and took lessons which taught me to read charts.

Blue
[/quote]
Wasn't he being ironic ?

How did I learn? Bough a bass, started playing. Played along with records, formed a band with schoolmates and worked at it. All my formal musical education came from the classical world, playing double bass. I've been doing both for 35+ years now, and I wouldn't say I've learnt to play yet!

Bass guitar is no fun to me unless it's in a band setting. I practice at home, but the idea of noodling away at home just doesn't cut it. Give me a gig, that's always been my motivation to learn

I will say that I wish I had learned when I was younger....

I'm 53 and 4 months in. Had/have some time on my hands and thought I would learn something. I have fairly limited expectations about how far I can take this but it's damn good fun!! My goal when I started was to play "Nice N Sleazy" :-D

I bought the Hal Leonard study bass book and supported that with a few lessons along the way. With hindsight, Not sure that learning music (theory) was the way to go but it's interesting.
Made some decent progress and seem to have the timing and rhythm sorted but now obsessing about technique......For example - when I first started if I played 3 notes F - C - A# I would do my best to just play those notes, now I tend to look at what happens to the other fingers when those notes are being played.... does that make any sense?

Edited by UTFB

[quote name='UTFB' timestamp='1476334349' post='3153375']
I will say that I wish I had learned when I was younger....

I'm 53 and 4 months in. Had/have some time on my hands and thought I would learn something. I have fairly limited expectations about how far I can take this but it's damn good fun!! My goal when I started was to play "Nice N Sleazy" :-D

I bought the Hal Leonard study bass book and supported that with a few lessons along the way. With hindsight, Not sure that learning music (theory) was the way to go but it's interesting.
Made some decent progress and seem to have the timing and rhythm sorted but now obsessing about technique......For example - when I first started if I played 3 notes F - C - A# I would do my best to just play those notes,[b] now I tend to look at what happens to the other fingers when those notes are being played.... does that make any sense?[/b]
[/quote]

Makes perfect sense. You will start to make shapes to minimise hand and finger movement.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1475229408' post='3144155']
30yrs in and I'm still always learning - so never stop learning and listening. For me it's a mixture of everything already said but trying to play with musicians who are better than me usually helps raise my game.
[/quote]

This all day long plus, in the last couple yrs my playing has improved more than it did in over 30 yrs of constant gigging through slowing everything down and analysing the whole kaboodle. Reckon I'd picked up some very bad habits over that time which now Im trying to rectify and its proving to be a real eye opener and huge fun.