Why become a member? ×

Exploring Funk

bass_in_ya_face

As a relative novice with Funk, I wondered if any of you guys had any suggestions as to where to start with good funk tracks with good bass in. I love this track

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8MU0mjri5k0"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8MU0mjri5k0[/url]

Even if the cover gives me nightmares.

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

I've been playing this one alot recently:

Tom Browne - Funkin' For Jamica.

I f***ing love this song.

Here's a few more:

Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove

The Gap Band - Opps Up Side Your Head

Chic - Chic Cheer

The Commodores - Brick House

Earth Wind & Fire - Let's Groove

They should keep you entertained for a while.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='300545' date='Oct 6 2008, 03:13 PM']They should keep you entertained for a while.[/quote]
Well I was certainly entertained! Thanks Josh.

I suppose it's down to what you think of as funk, but I struggle to find examples of good funk, post 1979. Did funk metamorphise or fade away?

Larry Graham... (Sly and the Family Stone, Graham Central Station, Prince)

Have a look about for his instructional video. It's a good laugh - the man's totally mad!

There's some good instructional stuff on youtube too. Have a look for a user called 'marlowedk'.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='300634' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:55 PM']Well I was certainly entertained! Thanks Josh.

Did funk metamorphise or fade away?[/quote]

A bit of both, "Real" funk (Curtis Mayfield, Sly & The Family Stone, Parliment etc....) seemingly faded away or tried to update the music and in some cases failed badly. And then Level 42 came along....

[quote name='Bigwan' post='300642' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:01 PM']Larry Graham... (Sly and the Family Stone, Graham Central Station, Prince)

Have a look about for his instructional video. It's a good laugh - the man's totally mad!

There's some good instructional stuff on youtube too. Have a look for a user called 'marlowedk'.[/quote]

Is that the one where he starts playing "aint no fun to me" with the massive scream? That's awesome! There's also a cracking version of POW on youtube, look out for the 'fro!