Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cort Jeff Berlin 4 bass vs a jazz?

Westenra

I'm not normally a fan of natural finished basses but this one for some reason lights my interest. Jeff himself said that to him it's the best bass since a 70s jazz and well I'm just wondering what others thought of it compared to a jazz? I've got a bitsa jazz with Delano pickups and a lakland neck and it plays like a dream, would the Cort offer anything different?

Jeff also said that a 5 string was useless, until a 5 string Cort came out. I played a 4, very good bass for the money. The pickups and placement make it sound a little honkier when back pickup is soloed, a little darker when front soloed. I would certainly say this can exist alongside another Jazz, an added "flavour" to the classic JB sound.

I must admit that I was really sceptical about these when they first came out but they've really grown on me.

Fun to play and a good range of tonal options.

I think the 5 is prettier than the 4 but the 4 is amazing value given the build quality. If you shop around you can get one for under £700 now.

Long time back Jeff also had a Peavey Sig bass called the Palaedium . Folks said it was a great bass like a high end jazz with no hum.
Might be due to the passive Barts it had. Was $1000 back in 90/91.

If you see any videos with Jeff playing a bass like this then that's the Peavey.
[attachment=227262:IMG_6161.JPG]

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1473171606' post='3127639']
Jeff also said that a 5 string was useless, until a 5 string Cort came out. I played a 4, very good bass for the money. The pickups and placement make it sound a little honkier when back pickup is soloed, a little darker when front soloed. I would certainly say this can exist alongside another Jazz, an added "flavour" to the classic JB sound.
[/quote]

Well he played a 5-string Tobias on the ABWH tour subbing for Tony Levin but just for the 'stick' songs as I recall.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1473199383' post='3128006']
Long time back Jeff also had a Peavey Sig bass called the Palaedium . Folks said it was a great bass like a high end jazz with no hum.
Might be due to the passive Barts it had. Was $1000 back in 90/91.

If you see any videos with Jeff playing a bass like this then that's the Peavey.
[attachment=227262:IMG_6161.JPG]
[/quote]

I remember the bass and always fancied one but I'm sure they were cheaper than that... Bass Centre had one in one of their big sales for £299 - admittedly 25 years ago...