Why become a member? ×

Replacement Tuners for Wal

JohnR

Hi All.

I have just broken one of the Schaller tuners on my 1988 Mk1 Wal Custom and am considering replacing the entire set with Hipshot Ultralites. Can anyone tell me if I need the 1/2" or 3/8" Ultralite variants?

Thanks

John

Thanks Gareth. Yes, I was looking at that option when my head was turned by the Ultralites. I will probably end up going down this path. I need a replacement quick as this is my only bass at the moment so it will come down to what I can obtain quickly.

Terrible timing as I ordered a Sandberg back in April to use as a second bass and it it due in the next few weeks.

John

Thanks so much for the help. I have emailed Paul and hopefully will get this sorted quickly. The irony is that this bass is due to go back to Paul shortly for a service and I was just waiting for the backup Sandberg to arrive before sending it off.

Final update. I have managed to fix (bodge) the broken machine head so panic over.

For future reference the Wal Mk1 has a 17mm bore. The Schaller M4S light (thanks Gareth) looks like a drop in replacement at 71 grams. The existing Schaller is 103 grams.

I also learned that the 1/2 inch variant of the Hipshot Ultralite would fit albeit with an additional hole having to be drilled for the screw.

Neck dive has never been an issue with this bass but it would help my back to reduce the weight where possible.

It will be going back to Paul as soon as my Sandberg arrives so I will avoid doing anything rash until then.

Thanks

John

Final, final update. :)

On impulse I sent a message to Schaller this evening using their webform. I got a reply a short while later from Dr Lars Bunning who is the Schaller managing director and owner asking me to send a picture of the damaged machine head and he would try to source a spare part.

This is stunning service from Schaller in trying to support a part purchased over 28 years ago.

It has completely made my day.

John

• Like 4

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1472841252' post='3124754']
Great service... I had a similar experience with hipshot recently
[/quote]
Same - had a query over saddles, screws and springs.... They said it would be a lot easier for them to just send me a load of stuff... which they did for free. Unbelievable service.

I've heard great things about Schaller too. These hardware guys are on it!

• 2 years later...

@Monkey Steve Congratulations on the new order! I just referenced the old trifold pamphlet that came in the flight case when I ordered it 2 decades ago! And that lead me down the rabbit hole b/c nothing matched. Didn't know they switched up for various reasons. Hipshot guys lined me up. Good people. Thank you for the help tho! How far out is the build estimated for completion ?

20190205_125101.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Scuba Cult said:

@Monkey Steve Congratulations on the new order! I just referenced the old trifold pamphlet that came in the flight case when I ordered it 2 decades ago! And that lead me down the rabbit hole b/c nothing matched. Didn't know they switched up for various reasons. Hipshot guys lined me up. Good people. Thank you for the help tho! How far out is the build estimated for completion ?

20190205_125101.jpg

that's a lovely stripey beast!

I'm about a year away from getting my hands on mine - placed the order last Jan/Feb, when the estimate was two years, but I see that the website is now saying 27 months...  That may suit me if it stretches to March/April as that's when my annual bonus arrives which will be paying off the balance!

Edited by Monkey Steve