Why become a member? ×

that growly agressive sound (prog rock/rock)

pip

Hi guys

I just listening to some symphony X (the early stuff with there ex bassist Tom Miller) and up to now still amazed at the sound tom gets from his gear. I was wondering does anybody know how to get near to that sound? I've heard this growly sound on a meat loaf album aswell (welcome to the neighbourhood). So I get the impression its not just sound for metal/prog rock.

Phil

[quote name='pip' post='299414' date='Oct 4 2008, 03:43 PM']Hi guys

I just listening to some symphony X (the early stuff with there ex bassist Tom Miller) and up to now still amazed at the sound tom gets from his gear. I was wondering does anybody know how to get near to that sound? I've heard this growly sound on a meat loaf album aswell (welcome to the neighbourhood). So I get the impression its not just sound for metal/prog rock.

Phil[/quote]

Cynical reply warning.....

You get your highly experienced studio engineer to make it sound like that on the recording using expensive digital software. I don't mean to be a miserable git (well no more than usual) but what you are listening to is a hell of a lot more involved that the bass player and "his gear".

I'll shut up now..... :)

Growly and aggressive to me is achieved with low action and digging in, a bit of clank, through a loud but clean amplifier. Distorted bass, to me, doesn't sound aggressive - it has lost its aggressiveness by being effected. Real aggressive tone is tone where you can hear the digging in, the energy.

[quote name='ped' post='299519' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:25 PM']Growly and aggressive to me is achieved with low action and digging in, a bit of clank, through a loud but clean amplifier. Distorted bass, to me, doesn't sound aggressive - it has lost its aggressiveness by being effected. Real aggressive tone is tone where you can hear the digging in, the energy.[/quote]

+1, I don't usually use any distortion even though people have asked what pedals I use live :)

[quote name='ped' post='299519' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:25 PM']Growly and aggressive to me is achieved with low action and digging in, a bit of clank, through a loud but clean amplifier.[/quote]

You just described my whole set up in that one statement Ped!

i like to boost everything to get a good growly tone, but the i boost the bass that little bit more. on my taitycaster i have its so im just using the MusicMan pup, on the ibanez soundgear i use mostly bridge pup with a hint of the neck pup, too.

EDIT: pickup switching and the right pickups are the way to getting the right tone, IMO. im sure lots of people disagree, but for ask me the right tone all comes from the pickups and what pickups you play over, and is just finetuned by the EQ.

EDIT 2: and if you cant get a growly tone from a warwick thumb, i dunno where you are gonna get one from!

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='299430' date='Oct 4 2008, 04:16 PM']Cynical reply warning.....

You get your highly experienced studio engineer to make it sound like that on the recording using expensive digital software. I don't mean to be a miserable git (well no more than usual) but what you are listening to is a hell of a lot more involved that the bass player and "his gear".

I'll shut up now..... :)[/quote]

i'd have thought the symphony x stuff was in the era before digital software? they've been around for donkeys haven't they?

peace

c

[quote name='ped' post='299526' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:38 PM']Hey Walman - that 'SVT Grit' patch was by moi![/quote]
Well Ped it is blahdy marvellous :)

At long last I got into tweaking patches and overwriting the originals ('cos I can always recall them) and my starting point was a few from Customtone including that one. Works nicely with the L2500 as well as reamping stuff from the computer

[quote name='ped' post='299707' date='Oct 5 2008, 01:20 AM']Glad you like it!! I also did the 'Studio Clean' one and several others... glad someone found them useful! I shall expect royalties of course :0)[/quote]
Can we call that DVD of loops quits :huh:

I shall have to search out some more. It does require me to get the rack upstairs & plugged in, which tends not to happen too often. Looks like others may have taken it and run with it as it seemed to get a load of hits with a search yesterday when I was trying to work out what was in it without plugging the BOD in, which proved not possible.

I shall have to try to get a clip of the patch in action up sometime

MM 8x10 anything to do with you, that's another slightly smoother one I have been using.

Oops sorry, dragging this off topic with the BC love in :)

[u]Amp[/u]
Boosted high mids
Push the pre-amp

[u]Speakers[/u]
Preferably 10's or 12's

[u]Bass[/u]
Low action
Dig in
Pick around the bridge pickup

[u]Pedal[/u]
Get a Sansamp BDDI or similar and set to SVT or similar

Edited by cetera

[quote name='ped' post='299519' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:25 PM']....Growly and aggressive to me is achieved with low action and digging in, a bit of clank, through a loud but clean amplifier. Distorted bass, to me, doesn't sound aggressive - it has lost its aggressiveness by being effected. Real aggressive tone is tone where you can hear the digging in, the energy....[/quote]
+1 all the way. Sounds like you are after the energy of a [i]hard[/i] played bass. Distortion is just a sound and won't give you the dynamics that you need in order to get that growl.

[quote name='chris_b' post='305373' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:06 PM']+1 all the way. Sounds like you are after the energy of a [i]hard[/i] played bass. Distortion is just a sound and won't give you the dynamics that you need in order to get that growl.[/quote]
Don't worry I play it hard as well - MATRON!! There's a shower of Elixir dust to clean off at the end of each gig.

No worries! I loved my pod. The Vbass I now use took a lot longer to programme mainly because the EQ is a semi parametric jobbie but I have managed to transfer the sounds from the pod over at last, after much fun playing about.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='306058' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:37 AM']Cheers Ped&Wal! Will have a play with this in the next few days!

I'm a big fan of a slightly tweaked Huge360 amp model. That's with a Jazz going into a little mark II and an ultralite 1x15.[/quote]
If you haven't just programmed it from the screenshot, or found the d/l on CustomTone I shall try to remember to upload the patch tonight