Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

What you have drawn was what was in my mind. In the cold light of morning I am not sure this is correct either. I need to get pencil, paper and brain in the job. I also need to help swmbo who wants to clear my workshop :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1475260701' post='3144595']

Well - for a mere king's ransom.... :lol:
[/quote]

I have your king, I will release him to you in exchange for a black fretless version of this bass 😉😎

While I recover from all that thinking stuff, back onto a few safer practical pursuits.

I joined some 3mm mahogany sheet for the control plate cover. To get the exact shape, I used the paper impression approach:

Cut that out, traced round it on the mahogany, cut it close with a band saw then sanded it to fit:

Also smoothed out a dink I found on the neck:

What I like about strong colour dyes and inks is that, even though that area had already had a decent number of coats of tru-oil on top, re-staining a patch covers really well:

The neck is going to be finished as a "slurry and buff" tru-oil satin.

The body, however, is going to be glossed. I added some purple spirit stain to a little of the polyurethane varnish to take a bit of the redness off the top and gave it a first wipe:

While that's drying, I'll get back to circuits and the tortuous process of thinking again :)

After some pencil, paper and brain effort I think I have the solution. In the Gibson circuit, at switch position 4, the neck output signal (lower pickup in Gibson diagram, 0.05uf capacitor) is routed through through the RC combo then to the jack tip. At the same time the neck output signal is also routed through the inductor to ground. (Gibson circuit has the bridge pickup on as well as neck position 4).

In the modified Andyjr Mk1 circuit above , the neck signal is fed into the RC combo for positions 4 , 5 and 6. These then provide a connection to jack tip' and the various inductor tap connections then to ground.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1475427725' post='3145832']
After some pencil, paper and brain effort I think I have the solution. In the Gibson circuit, at switch position 4, the neck output signal (lower pickup in Gibson diagram, 0.05uf capacitor) is routed through through the RC combo then to the jack tip. At the same time the neck output signal is also routed through the inductor to ground. (Gibson circuit has the bridge pickup on as well as neck position 4).

In the modified Andyjr Mk1 circuit above , the neck signal is fed into the RC combo for positions 4 , 5 and 6. These then provide a connection to jack tip' and the various inductor tap connections then to ground.
[/quote]
Brilliant! Thank you so much, 3below. That does indeed look right to me :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1475428247' post='3145836']
Brilliant! Thank you so much, 3below. That does indeed look right to me :)
[/quote]

And thank you, I will be seeking advice later about finishing when I get that far. Shed is now somewhat clearer and my 'long lost' no5 plane re-appeared.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1475432102' post='3145869']

And thank you, I will be seeking advice later about finishing when I get that far. Shed is now somewhat clearer and my 'long lost' no5 plane re-appeared.
[/quote]
Excellent - bring it on :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1475432102' post='3145869']
[/quote]

Cool - can you come round and find the two centre punches that are somewhere in my garage? I've spent hours looking :D

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1475488740' post='3146235']
Cool - can you come round and find the two centre punches that are somewhere in my garage? I've spent hours looking :D
[/quote]

Centre punches, £2.50 for a set of 3, time to find them 2? hrs at £???? :mellow: Somehow it does not seem right to view tools with the cost benefit analysis method.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1475517221' post='3146564']
Centre punches, £2.50 for a set of 3, time to find them 2? hrs at £???? :mellow: Somehow it does not seem right to view tools with the cost benefit analysis method.
[/quote]

I did buy a set on eBay but Royal Mail... ahem... lost them

Just been clearing the loft. It's embarrassing how large some of the items are that we have 'lost' and replaced and that have now been found..... :rolleyes:

The reason I've been able to do stuff like the loft is that I'm onto finishing proper - the final wipe-on Ronseal coats...and that leaves a decent amount of time where you can't even tiptoe round the workshop while the varnish is drying

Just done the final coat of purple tinged clearcoat (Ronseal, some Purple Chestnut Spirit Stain and a drop of white spirits, wiped on with a cheapo Homebase micro-fibre cloth.)

The colour never comes out right on the photos but in the flesh it's taken the slight pink tinge off:

The 'face' still shows through, despite it being a little darker nowadays:

It's now onto clearcoats. I'll do a couple of clear before the first flattening - don't want to flatten away the purple tint!

Thanks for the encouraging feedback, folks :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1475581738' post='3147040']
Is your middle name "Danger"??? :o
[/quote] No - when tackling MrsAndyjr1515 (or worse...being tackled by her), my middle name is usually more like 'Mouse' ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515