Why become a member? ×

One tone to rule them all

JapanAxe

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1468851839' post='3093763']
I'm surprised, reading all of this, that Sir Macca ever got anywhere at all. A Precision is all there is in the Bass World..? I'm only a drummer, so I wouldn't know, of course, but I still say 'Poppycock', so there. You really are a funny old lot, sometimes. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Theres nothing magic about a precision, its just that with a single mid placed pickup you get a sound that is quite hard to turn into the usual over scooped / excessively low boosed mush that so many clueless weekend warrior players seem so enamoured of.

I have been busy recording a live album with my band. Doing upwards of 40 takes of each track to capture the right version. No click tracks or overdubs.

Anyways, one of these tunes features a nice slap riff for the chorus. I could of used my Spector which has a awesome clear as a bell slap tone, but I stuck with the pbass to keep the tone consistent throughout the recording. I quite like that 70s pbass slap tone even though there are more suitable basses for slapping.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1468905542' post='3094146']

Theres nothing magic about a precision, its just that with a single mid placed pickup you get a sound that is quite hard to turn into the usual over scooped / excessively low boosed mush that so many clueless weekend warrior players seem so enamoured of.
[/quote]

Ahh those pesky clueless weekend warrior players eh!

😐

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1468919446' post='3094249']
Ahh those pesky clueless weekend warrior players eh!

[/quote]

I don't mean to imply that all such players (including me) are clueless, there are quite a few out there.

[quote name='Basszilla' timestamp='1468910000' post='3094165']
I have been busy recording a live album with my band. Doing upwards of 40 takes of each track to capture the right version. No click tracks or overdubs.
[/quote]Day 8, morale was getting low. 3 days since food ran out, water rations only can't speak. Corruthers seems to have lost his mind, we had to lock him in the vocal booth to escape from his mad screaming. Squiffy has the worst blisters on his fingers I've ever seen. Is there no escape from the smell of sweat and the constant hell hammer of the kick drum ?

;)

For me it entirely depends upon the band and what range of music I'm playing. With my rock covers band I can largely keep the tone in the same place and vary it by playing with fingers/pick at the bridge or neck. With my other band we play such a mix of styles that I like to open and close the tone quite a bit - open and aggressive for 'Psycho Killer' or 'Pump It Up', say, compared to almost completely rolled off for 'Midnight At The Oasis' or 'Blue Hotel'.

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1468924044' post='3094287']
Day 8, morale was getting low. 3 days since food ran out, water rations only can't speak. Corruthers seems to have lost his mind, we had to lock him in the vocal booth to escape from his mad screaming. Squiffy has the worst blisters on his fingers I've ever seen. Is there no escape from the smell of sweat and the constant hell hammer of the kick drum ?

;)
[/quote]

Lol

That's actually pretty close! Ha :)

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1468955529' post='3094675']
He also used (I believe) a Lakland P on later tours.
[/quote]There used to be a video on the Lakland site with Chris using one - sounded just like his Ric.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1469120627' post='3095970']
Ha ha! Does this go any way to explaining why Geddy's Jazz sounds like a Ric?
[/quote]I don't know if it explains it, but it certainly adds weight to the 'tone is in the fingers' argument. However, I think choice of amplification also has a lot to do with it when it come those gentlemen.