Why become a member? ×

Bass players more famous for other things

OldGit

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='169622' date='Apr 4 2008, 09:07 AM']Two producers that like to play bass when allowed ...Tony Visconti & Don Was (yeah, ok Don does tour with the Stones on bass, but it's a sideline really!)[/quote]
In which case you can probably add Trevor Horn and Youth too.

James Hetfield from Metallica previously played bass & sang in a band called Syrinx - a Rush tribute, believe it or not.

Classic rock midget Ronnie James Dio played bass in his first band, The Vegas Kings. In 1957! :huh:

Star Trek actor Michael Dorn is a bassist when he's not being a Klingon! :)

Jon.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='169678' date='Apr 4 2008, 12:42 PM']And Bob Rock - LOL[/quote]

Yup, that's the guy. He played a few shows with Tallica during their 'hard' years ( 2001-2003 first months).
If I remember correctly, looking to him as a player, he's more like g*itarist than a bazepleje, but, man, that guy can do Master of Muppets ( with a help of a pick, of course, hehe :) )

here it is... (btw, it's hard to see Bob, as 'they' don't show him much- like he's not a member, but he [i]really[/i] plays up there. Oooh, you can see him quite well at 05:20-38, just spotted..):

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=kMbHH4081tY"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=kMbHH4081tY[/url]

He's best known as producer, but guys, Bassassasin too, I'd suggest, let's not make this thread 'about g*itar players who played bass at some time'.. Yeah, James played bass, he even recorded Tallica's songs when they didn't have as bass player... So what? He's a player.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='32379' date='Jul 16 2007, 09:56 AM']Adam Clayton is probably more famous for knowing Bono and bumping uglies with Naomi Campbell than he is for being a bass player, does that count?[/quote]

Crikey...

He did that and survived! He must've kept a B-I-G can of bass kung-fu in reserve for protection from flying fists/phones/saliva (delete as applicable).

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='173832' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:19 PM']Crikey...

He did that and survived! He must've kept a B-I-G can of bass kung-fu in reserve for protection from flying fists/phones/saliva (delete as applicable).[/quote]
they were engaged at one point

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='173764' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:00 AM']Here's one for the books. Jeff Bridges the actor is apparently a bass player. Steve Klein designed an acoustic bass on behalf of Taylor:
[/quote]
Jeff Bridges is fast becoming the coolest person in the world.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='169622' date='Apr 4 2008, 05:37 PM']Two producers that like to play bass when allowed ...Tony Visconti & Don Was (yeah, ok Don does tour with the Stones on bass, but it's a sideline really!)[/quote]

Tony Visconti playing bass on Bowies "The Man who sold the World" album is great stuff love his playing.

Michael Anthony is famous first for being in Van Halen and bass playing is most definitely a sideline for him? :huh:

If in doubt, check it out.... WARNING:its pretty hard to watch/listen too

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewsHwVOyyE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewsH[/url]wVOyyE

OK so he is drunk in this one............ try a different show, he does the same solo sober :)

Edited by Freuds_Cat