Why become a member? ×

Music Insurance - has anyone claimed on it ?

darwin

Hi,

I'm just about to renew my policy with Musicguard for the 3rd year. Reading through the excemptions listed I'm not convinced the more likley scenarios where I would want to claim would be covered such items stolen whilst loading/unloading the car, damage from a drunken punter splling his pint down the back of my amp or someone knocking over the lighting stand etc

I look after the band lighting so I'm more concerned with having public liability cover these days in case a loaded lighting stand ever fell over or, someone tripped over a DMX cable etc but I'm interested if anyone has tried to claim for any loss/damage to euipment and how they got on ?

Musicguard want £145 for £3000 equipment cover, in car cover, £10K personal accident, £1M Public Liability, no excess.

Thanks
Darren

Edited by darwin

A drumming friend of mine has had his gear insured with Allianz Cornhill for a few years now (I think it's them anyway). He cracked one of his [i]very[/i] expensive Sabian HH cymbals, and they had it replaced within days. They just wanted written confirmation from a dealer that it wasn't repairable, and they had a new one out like a shot.

He was telling me that if something breaks while you're touring, they'll deliver a replacement to your next gig so it'll be waiting for you!!

[quote name='mike257' post='296776' date='Oct 1 2008, 03:53 PM']A drumming friend of mine has had his gear insured with Allianz Cornhill for a few years now (I think it's them anyway). He cracked one of his [i]very[/i] expensive Sabian HH cymbals, and they had it replaced within days. They just wanted written confirmation from a dealer that it wasn't repairable, and they had a new one out like a shot.

He was telling me that if something breaks while you're touring, they'll deliver a replacement to your next gig so it'll be waiting for you!![/quote]

+1 Allianz! They sent me through some smartwater this time for effectively "dna"ing my basses. Impressive stuff!

£145 for £3000 of cover :)

I have x6 that level of cover for my basses PLUS all of my assorted music amplification, a couple of guitars, 1 bass insured for £2200 away from the home AND all of my contents up to £40k for about the same premium... Liverpool Victoria through Frizzell. Maybe I'm missing something but my insurers seem happy to cover and all I had to do was get a music shop to give me a written quotation for my basses to be replaced new for old. However (touch wood), I've never made a claim in 20+ years of having insurance.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='296838' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:53 PM']£145 for £3000 of cover :)

I have x6 that level of cover for my basses PLUS all of my assorted music amplification, a couple of guitars, 1 bass insured for £2200 away from the home AND all of my contents up to £40k for about the same premium... Liverpool Victoria through Frizzell. Maybe I'm missing something but my insurers seem happy to cover and all I had to do was get a music shop to give me a written quotation for my basses to be replaced new for old. However (touch wood), I've never made a claim in 20+ years of having insurance.[/quote]

WarwickH, does that cover you for gigging?

+1 for alianz..
They rebuilt my big sax twice after on stage incidents.

[quote name='OldGit' post='296857' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:04 PM']WarwickH, does that cover you for gigging?

+1 for alianz..
They rebuilt my big sax twice after on stage incidents.[/quote]

The cover includes 1 'itemised' bass (valued @ £2200) and assorted equipment up to £1000. TBH I've no idea about public liability etc :)

Thanks for the comments folks. I'll start shopping around for a better deal starting with Allianz Cornhill and the MU.

Cheers
Darren

PS. About a 1/3 of the cost for Musicguard is for the public liability, the quote from Allianz Cornhill is £83 but no Public Liability so they're about the same.

Edited by darwin

[quote name='darwin' post='297267' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:55 AM']Thanks for the comments folks. I'll start shopping around for a better deal starting with Allianz Cornhill and the MU.

Cheers
Darren

PS. About a 1/3 of the cost for Musicguard is for the public liability, the quote from Allianz Cornhill is £83 but no Public Liability so they're about the same.[/quote]

Be aware:
If you are after Public Liability Insurance for a band be aware that some policies are [i]band specific[/i] - so if you, say, take you PA and lights out to do another band's gig and the venue demands PLI (as some do these days) they may reject it if it's not the band named on the policy.
We had that experience. A nice quiet night ensued.

Some venues just won't let you play without PLI as they don't want the drunk who hurts himself by stumbeling into your PA speaker and knocking it onto his own head to sue them, they'd rather pass the buck to you, even though they supplied the alcohol which was the "proximate cause" ...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='296838' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:53 PM']£145 for £3000 of cover :)

I have x6 that level of cover for my basses PLUS all of my assorted music amplification, a couple of guitars, 1 bass insured for £2200 away from the home AND all of my contents up to £40k for about the same premium... Liverpool Victoria through Frizzell. Maybe I'm missing something but my insurers seem happy to cover and all I had to do was get a music shop to give me a written quotation for my basses to be replaced new for old. However (touch wood), I've never made a claim in 20+ years of having insurance.[/quote]

Is that covering you for professional use of kit? That is, actually taking money for the gig? If not then if something goes wrong and they find out you are taking £ for the gig they will not pay you.

Is that whichever bass you happen to have out of the house at the time or one specific bass?

I'm not asking aggressively here, I have not been insured for a long time and I really need to get it set up again.

When I was insured I got pay outs for a stolen keyboard and a dropped double bass (don't ask) with no problems.

[quote name='owen' post='297515' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:02 PM']Is that covering you for professional use of kit? That is, actually taking money for the gig? If not then if something goes wrong and they find out you are taking £ for the gig they will not pay you.

[b]TBH until you asked I assumed so. :) I'll have to look into that.[/b]

Is that whichever bass you happen to have out of the house at the time or one specific bass?

[b]I'm covered to take one bass (any one) out of the house but I gave the cost of replacing the most expensive.[/b]

I'm not asking aggressively here, I have not been insured for a long time and I really need to get it set up again.

When I was insured I got pay outs for a stolen keyboard and a dropped double bass (don't ask) with no problems.[/quote]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='296915' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:02 PM']I used Musicguard a few years ago and fell out with them.

They're very expensive too.[/quote]

Im with musicguard but have never had to make a claim (so far)
They do seem pretty pricey but im happy with what they offer.

Can i ask why you fell out with them?

Cheers.