Why become a member? ×

NBD and a tale of 4 string-sets

JapanAxe

I can now reveal that it was I, yes I, who bought Karlfer's Japanese '57 Precision in Candy Apple Red. And for the first time ever, I bought a bass unseen.

But why?

OK, reasons first:

1. It's a Precision. I like Precisions and they seem to like me. Three times I have gone out to buy a Jazz, and three times I have come home with a Precision.
2. It's a 50s model, albeit a reissue. I have an original '73 and a RI '62, so it seemed the sensible thing to do.
3. I used to own a CIJ '62 RI in Fiesta Red but I sold it when I got my Sandberg VM4 (another Precision basically, and in a shade not a million miles from CAR), and it's the only bass I have really regretted selling.
4. Just look at it! Candy Apple Red :gas: , anodised plate :gas: :gas: .
5. Plus I'd just sold my 5-er (bet loads of 5-string-only gigs come in now) and I had a pocket full of £50 notes. Bwahahaha...

So what's it like? As received, like this (although I immediately removed the covers):

Finish: Even more luscious in the flesh than in a photo, notwithstanding 10+ years of honest, light wear. Frets in very good nick.

Neck: Very comfortable indeed, and much as I remember my CIJ '62 RI being (although that had a rosewood 'board).

Tuners: A little bit of backlash maybe, but not a problem if you tune up to the note (as I always do).

Weight/balance (before anyone asks): Karlfer had this down as 8lb14oz iirc, but I haven't weighed it properly yet. Hangs well on the strap anyway.

Sound: see Strings

Playability: see Strings

Strings: Came fitted with some flats that could have been a number of things, but weren't Chromes (my first choice). Sounded good as it was, but maybe a little light on output compared to my other Ps. I think this was partly down to the pickups sitting somewhat low in the body. I tried to raise them, but there wasn't enough foam behind them to push them up. I had a set of LaBellas bought nearly-new from BC, so I tried them - stiff or what, they felt almost rigid! Then I dug out a new pack of D'Addario half-rounds. Much better combination of sound and playability. I had a gig Saturday night and used the '57 RI for the first set of swing, and the '62 RI for the second set of pop. The '62 sounded and felt much more grown-up and was way more forward in the mids. Also I got somewhat irritated by the rough feel of the half-rounds. Not there yet then.

I had a rehearsal last night, and I found time to remove the half-rounds, pad up the pickup with some more foam, fit the 8-month-old Chromes from my '62 RI, and tweak to taste. At home it sounded better already, but on the rehearsal (through a Streamliner 900 into a BF Midget) it really shone - lots of phatness and growl when needed, and a smile on my face.

So in the end I was happy with my purchase. I'm amazed at the difference the strings made though...

Strings make a HUGE difference. Whenever I get a new bass I'll immediately restring it with La Bellas or DR Fat Beams, as appropriate. But what a coincidence - I've just gone and bought a 50s-type red P bass with a maple neck and gold anodized guard from Karl as well... I wonder where he's getting them from..? :yarr:

Edited by discreet

He was asked if by a friend if he fancied giving over £200 plus his AV57RI for the pair of them.
He decided to do that with the intent of sell one, keep one. That went well :lol:

As it turns out he is stupidly in love with his Fender Adam Clayton Jazz, plus FSR P/J and 4003s, so the sale of both of these made sense :) .

The Wigan Gargoyle is now sold out!
Hope both you guys enjoy these very nice workhorse basses.