Why become a member? ×

NRY - New rig year! Mixing light and heavy - Update!

mrtcat

So unlike many of the fine folk here who can seemingly change rigs overnight it takes me a little longer to get the moolah together. Finally all sorted now though with my rig that will hopefully see me through the next few years.

It's a mix of lightweight and not so lightweight. I really really wanted a light class D head to do it for me but I just couldn't quite get the sound I wanted without something older and heavier. So here it is:

[attachment=221511:Rig.jpg]

An SWR SM900, two TKS 1216 cabs (formerly owned by Karlfer and before that McNach I think?) and my simple pedal board (Sansamp - Polytune - TC Hypergravity - EMMA Discumbobulator - MXR Bass Octave).

I picked the cabs up earlier this year and have been really happy so far. They have a lot of low end which I've had to dial out a bit to keep the live sound clean. I gigged the whole lot for the first time on Saturday and have to say that the SM-900 is immense. Super solid sound that you feel as much as hear and can go really clean. Combined with the clarity of the TKS cabs it's something else (if you like clean) but still has a thick feel to the sound. I thought I would struggle with such a comprehensive EQ but it's really useful to be able to find and remove the ultra low stuff at around 30hz whilst simultaneously being able to give a little boost at around 60hz. Add in a little low mid boost too and it punches through the mix whilst being so solid you can feel it.

The SM900 isn't super heavy by any means but obviously not a light head. It's the compromise that I needed to make to get the sound I wanted and in all fairness it travels in a pelican case (like a big bombproof briefcase) which makes it very easy to carry.

With any luck it should keep the GAS at bay for a while.

Edited by mrtcat

If that rig doesn't sound absolutely monstrous, you'll need butt***** :lol: :lol:

Great amps from yesteryear but like classic Eden's, will still do the job AND some.
( One of the best rigs I've come across these last few years was an Eden WT and XLT cabs.
which might have been nearly 20 years old in design but still was the mutt's..)

And TKS cabs..well, IMO..the guy has a very educated ear and knows what he wants
out of his designs.

Good call, nice rig.

• 4 weeks later...

So a slight change happened when an amp I only ever really dreamed of owning popped up at a great price at an opportune time. Rig now looks like this:

[attachment=223284:IMG_7544.JPG]

And now I'm very happy :)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1468446549' post='3091054']
How do you find the 1126s now you've lived/gigged with them a little? I'm considering them :)
Do you use them without PA support at all?

Si
[/quote]

Cant speak for the 1126s, but i play in a 6 piece function band and i use a single TKS S112, without PA support for the majority of the time.
I do have a second cabinet, but more often than not i don't feel i need it.
I would guess 2 X 1126s is more than enough for most gigs until we start talking stadiums and the like :lol:

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1468482191' post='3091157']

Cant speak for the 1126s, but i play in a 6 piece function band and i use a single TKS S112, without PA support for the majority of the time.
I do have a second cabinet, but more often than not i don't feel i need it.
I would guess 2 X 1126s is more than enough for most gigs until we start talking stadiums and the like :lol:
[/quote]

Wow, quietest 6 piece ever? :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1468483903' post='3091177']
Wow, quietest 6 piece ever? :)

Si
[/quote]

We aren't heavy rock admittedly, but as a 6 piece disco/funk we aren't really quiet either.
I must say that it's probably on the limit of what a single cab can do, but 1 cab really is enough for me. YMMV and all that.
They are good cabs. Stick a good amp on top and you're onto a winner!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1468446549' post='3091054']
How do you find the 1126s now you've lived/gigged with them a little? I'm considering them :)
Do you use them without PA support at all?

Si
[/quote]

Ive done probably 30 gigs with them now and they're really great. With my GK MB500 Fusion I had to roll bass off a bit because they have lots of bottom on them. Not boomy mind just present and sometimes it conflicts a little with a mic'd kick drum. Surprisingly I haven't had to do this with the DB750 so I guess they were simply reproducing what the GK was giving them.
With the Aguilar they have really impressed me. That combination has heaps of weight and a really nice thick and defined tone that you really feel. I once owned a Hartke Kilo and a berg nv412 and after the demise of the kilo I sold the berg on and since then I always found everything else lacking. This rig has got that magic that my Hartke/berg did and then some.
Basically I think I'm saying that I love the cabs but they will sound different with different amps. You're very welcome to come try them before committing to buying some if you're ever up this way.
I do use them without Pa at smaller gigs and at bigger gigs I only use one cab. They sounded far better without Pa when using either the SWR SM900 or the Aguilar because they stay solid at volume. I found them a touch more boomy and less weighty at high volume with the GK.

Edited by mrtcat